Slipjoint mod Para 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sumdumguy

Re: Slipjoint mod Para 3

Post by Sumdumguy »

spyderg wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:07 am
Fantastic mod! I agree with comments suggesting it would be amazing as a removable part for travel. It also seems like it would be not terribly difficult for Spyderco to tweak their design to allow for a “slipjoint” version using the same handles, (or slightly tweaked as the cutout for lock release becomes unnecessary), lock and nearly the same blades.
I say leave it, so you can close it like you would a standard PM2.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:57 pm
spyderg wrote:
Fantastic mod! I agree with comments suggesting it would be amazing as a removable part for travel. It also seems like it would be not terribly difficult for Spyderco to tweak their design to allow for a “slipjoint” version using the same handles, (or slightly tweaked as the cutout for lock release becomes unnecessary), lock and nearly the same blades.

I would think you can’t close it like a standard para because the comp lock doesn’t engage, meaning you can’t/don’t disengage the lock to close the knife with this mod.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

diRk_262 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:50 pm
Hi all!
This is my first post, hopefully you like it.
I would like to show you a mod i‘ve done to my Para 3.
Any feedback is welcome :)

Cheers Dirk
Brilliant solution, excellent job!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

How inventive ;)
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
diRk_262

Post by diRk_262 »

@Bigrob90 At the moment the stl isn‘t available for purchase or download. I want to see what Spyderco could make out of this idea. After this i will share it with all.

@sal If you pm me your E-Mail I will send you the file.

Because of all this positive feedback I spent some time in my hobbyroom. I milled the part out of Aluminium and grinded it to fit nicely.
E7007849-62A7-43B2-BC47-6A3F588F2530.jpeg
580C9530-A668-4A05-A5B2-4C60A323CD62.jpeg
7D4B8E44-9A7F-4E36-9DF1-8F59EFB19918.jpeg

The slipjoint is now even more stable and the look is also better.
EF52D9B0-0C97-4C05-8202-90CF098776EC.jpeg
I made a short clip where you can see how this part will be assembled and disassemled.

https://youtu.be/HJUK--8lOGs

The Aluminium is really soft, so that you can see after a about 100 open and closes a wearing where the „lock-ball“ moves. (if you don’t take the pressure from the lock. With this mod you stop using the cut out for unlocking)
A5F734B8-4D77-43B1-80F0-687B9BF4919D.jpeg

If Spyderco could be produce this part out of hardened steel if would last really really long.

Please don‘t expect to get the same slipjoint like the one on a ukpk with this mod. A normal slipjoint is harder to close. But to convert your locking folder into a legal to carry knife in Germany (and other countrys), without a permanent change to the knife, it does its job really awesome :)
G_shark

Post by G_shark »

I really like this mod a lot. Great thinking!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:48 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
spyderg wrote:

I would think you can’t close it like a standard para because the comp lock doesn’t engage, meaning you can’t/don’t disengage the lock to close the knife with this mod.
It technically still engages, just into a detent. If you were to pinch the lock bar it would still disengage enough for the blade to drop. Unless I'm missing something in the pictures.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:30 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:
spyderg wrote:

It technically still engages, just into a detent. If you were to pinch the lock bar it would still disengage enough for the blade to drop. Unless I'm missing something in the pictures.

Yes, but you could just disengage it by putting pressure on the spine. I see what you mean though.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:06 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:30 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:

Yes, but you could just disengage it by putting pressure on the spine. I see what you mean though.
Yep, part of why I like the compression lock is the drop close(or slight flick). A compression slipjoint sounds interesting because of the combination of features and legal benefits.

-Thomas Jefferson
MMGRenovations

Post by MMGRenovations »

This is awesome! Nice work!
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

That is brilliant. I'm really impressed.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

For some reason I feel like this would be fitting for a sprint para 3 with rounded carbon fiber scales, like the s90v native. Satin finish? It'd be a snazzy/modern looking para 3 gentleman's knife.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
diRk_262

Post by diRk_262 »

Why doesn’t my post show up here?
I replied 2 days ago.
diRk_262

Post by diRk_262 »

Ah, now is the post about the milled part visible. Perfect.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

diRk_262 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:20 pm
Why doesn’t my post show up here?
I replied 2 days ago.
Here's a detailed explanation from Kristi the main mod that was posted on another forum last week...

"Hey, everyone:
As the primary person responsible for our forum, I thought I should offer some additional details for clarity. Sal was very kind in giving me some privacy, but I'm willing to share. I was out of the office for a few weeks because my Mom passed away. In all honesty, her health had been rapidly declining for the past several months so I've been in and out of the office quite a bit. Most people are aware that I'm usually online or at least available to be online unless I'm asleep or on a plane :))) but this was different for obvious reasons.

I'm working through close to just over 700 e-mails (not all, of course, are related to the forum)...

...We do moderate new members for a period of time. We utilize several different tools to help us keep the forum safe, and as free of spam as possible. Once upon a time, 99% of spam was generated by bots, but that's not the case now. There are actual people sitting in large rooms filled with computers doing nothing but attempting to disrupt different sites - kind of like the telemarketer phone banks only it's not the dinner-hour that they're trying to ruin. Spammers now copy and paste legitimate posts - some from recent activity and others have gone back more than 10 years - this gives them a better shot at getting through filters. To put some numbers behind this information, our software has blocked more than 23,000 known spam traffickers in just the past 12 hours. On average, it blocks 40-50,000 attempts on our forum every day. Most of these are bots, but there's just enough of them that aren't bots (that can answer questions, math problems, reCAPTCHA, etc.) that make post moderation a requirement to keep the forum safe/clean. We typically approve posts throughout the day, but there can be delays in the evenings, on weekends, and in special circumstances."

EDIT: Bolded text
Last edited by bbturbodad on Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Turbo
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Turbodad.

sal
W7H2O

Post by W7H2O »

Man that is wunderbar. Just think of the potential of that.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

That's super clever!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Reject

Post by Reject »

:) Nice design.

The slip joint knives I have used. usually have a mid stop when closing the blade. If you were making that design from a new blade blank. Would it be worth adding a third shallower indent between the open and closed position to create that mid stop?
How much can a Koala bear?
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Fantastic design. This mod would be perfect for the comp lock Lil' Native, a knife that I love to carry but would serve me better as a slipjoint.