The Future of the Para 2? I'm sort of worried

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

The Future of the Para 2? I'm sort of worried

Post by JD Spydo »

Now I'm pretty secure in believing that the C-36 Military model will be with us for at least the foreseeable future. But lately I've grown a bit concerned about the possible future of the Para 2 model :( . It seems as though every other Spyderville citizen I've been speaking to lately has been raving about the Para 3 model. And it's concerning to me because when it comes to models smaller than the C-36 Military ( my current EDC) the Para 2 is about as small as I'm willing to go with for my EDC duties.

I'm fearful that the Para 3 might just displace the great Para 2 model ( GOD forbid!!!). Now I hope my fears are totally not justified but it is a matter of concern with the Para 3 approaching Rock Star status in the main line up. I'm hoping that all 3 of the gems I've mentioned from the Golden CO, USA made line-up will be permanent fixtures on the Spyderco USA made menu.

I guess at this point many of you are probably thinking that I need to be making an appointment to see a "Shrink" :rolleyes: No I'm just concerned like any serious Spyderco fan should be. But for the guys/girls who like a shorter blade I do hope the Para 3 will be there for them at their time of need. But I want to see the Para 2 and the C-36 Millie always having a secure place in Spyderco's upcoming catalogs. This is truly a case of "If It's Not Broke Then Let's Not Try To Fix It". Long Live the Para 2 and the C-36 Military models :cool: Not at all against the Para 3>> it's just not my preferred hardware.
Sumdumguy

Re: The Future of the Para 2? I'm sort of worried

Post by Sumdumguy »

I doubt the PM2 will go anywhere. I'm not the biggest fan of the PM2, but it is WAY better than the Para3(garbage in my book).

Neither one is going anywhere. The PM2 is a very good knife and the Para3 is the latest fad. They both sell and that's all that matters.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Nah, I don't think you have much to worry about lol
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

I sincerely hope the pm2 sticks around. Its undoubtedly my favourite.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I can already see the hysteria if the Para 3 ever replaced the PM2.
-Nick :bug-red
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I must admit I’ve had my doubts about the Lil’fication of everything, but the Lil’ Native has me believing that Eric pretty much knows what he’s doing. He has had an OK teacher, after all. :rolleyes:

I don’t doubt I’ll get a Para3 eventually, just to experience the downsize, if nothing else. But I can’t imagine the PM2 going away anytime soon just because the Para3 is on the scene.

The PM2 may not, however, continue as the new-steel gateway, though. The Para3 certainly has a lot of offerings now, and that fact may signal a change in roles.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Spyderco has been increasing the size options of knives of a similar design, not decreasing them (think endela). So the chances of them pulling the para 2 from their line up creating a gap seems slim to none.

My 2 cents.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

PM2 isn't going anywhere. I do find myself carrying a Para 3 much more often these days (M390 on me yesterday & today) but I do still like my PM2s.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

I'm pretty sure the PM2 sprints still sell out faster than Para 3 sprints... the Maxamet PM2's literally flew off shelves in the blink if an eye... the maxamet para 3s sold quick but not at that speed. People still love the PM2, just it's been around longer so the Para 3 has things to be said about it where as everything about the PM2 has been discussed before.
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

Discontinuing the PM2 would be just as silly as discontinuing the Slysz Bowi... wait. Oh no! :D

I would be *shocked* if they did anything to the PM2. It's an icon.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Being a older guy the PM2 has had cult status for its fair share of time

The decreasing legal blade size in many states and countries is giving the Parra3 its cult status it enjoys now. ( it was created for this reason I would think )

PM2 is probably the most talked about / collected Spyderco for the last 5 or so years before the Parra3 so it is not going anywhere.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

It won't go away.. plus a PM2 lightweight will come pretty soon, is my prediction...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
awa54

Post by awa54 »

I wouldn't lose any sleep over that JD ;)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:35 am
It won't go away.. plus a PM2 lightweight will come pretty soon, is my prediction...
Hypothetical question, you are in charge of bringing the PM2 LW to market. When would you release it? Would you wait for the holiday buying season? Today? Wait until some sweet Shaman/Native Chief sprints or exclusives are shipped to retailers?

I realize the actual answer to this question is complicated. There are lots of new knives to bring to market, plus keeping up with demand for the stalwarts. There is limited capacity from a manufacturing standpoint. So tough decisions have to be made. It is a brand new design, so the R&D phase will be extensive. For all we know, the Para3 LW is providing valuable feedback for the eventual PM2 LW. So perhaps minor changes are being made to the PM2 LW right now.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

It is interesting to me that despite producing better knives that fill the same niche, the pm2 continues to persist strongly. The Carribean has more blade length and is rust proof. The Shaman is infinitely more comfortable to use and the blade seemed to cut better on mine than my PM2's. There's others too, these were Just the immediate two to come to mind. But did Spyderco see a sells dip in PM2s due to these knives? Obviously I don't have the figures but I would highly doubt that they did
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well I hope you all are spot on, 100% correct. To me it would be like Chevy discontinuing the Corvette model >> well maybe not to that extreme but you all get where I'm coming from. But this condescending trend of shorter blades is another concern I have. Which is one reason I gave some creedence to this most shocking rumor :eek: :rolleyes:

With the big dog of the group i.e. the C-36 Military now going over 20 years of popularity I just can't see any benefit of dropping the Para 2. I currently only have two of the Para 2 model and I'm thinking seriously about the upcoming M390 Para 2>> which truly makes a lot of sense for me being such a huge fan of M390 as I am. If a Millie or Para 2 has a supersteel then it's more than likely going to either end up on my "Want List" or even my "Gotta-Have" list. And my "Gotta Have" list just keeps growing at an exponential rate.

OH I'm not anti Para 3 if that is what you all might be thinking>> it's just not a model that I crave>> and most certainly not a model that could even begin to replace the Para 2. I'm now wondering if there is a way we can put certain Spyderco models on "The Endangered Species List" :rolleyes: :D

Yeah that's it >> we need an Endangered Species list for models we crave. Something to consider for sure :cool:
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:57 pm
To me it would be like Chevy discontinuing the Corvette model >> well maybe not to that extreme but you all get where I'm coming from.
Maybe more like Ford discontinuing the insanely popular do everything F150 in favor of the compromise that is the Ranger.
Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

abbazaba wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:12 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
To me it would be like Chevy discontinuing the Corvette model >> well maybe not to that extreme but you all get where I'm coming from.
Maybe more like Ford discontinuing the insanely popular do everything F150 in favor of the compromise that is the Ranger.
Hit the nail right on the head there!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

abbazaba wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:12 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Or to top that off>> it might even be as senseless as Ford discontinuing their ESCAPE model. I know a few more folks that own ESCAPE models than I do folks that own F-150s. However I owned a Ford F-150 a few years back.

But to me it would be just about that ill-logical :eek: :confused: But I do see your point vividly because the Ranger could conceivably be the end of pick-up trucks as we know them.

But I still can't for the life of me understand the meteoric rise of the Para 3 :confused: Because here in Missouri >> and GOD love Missouri we can still EDC a folder with a 4 inch blade limit. Thank GOD above for that :cool:

But the one Para 3 that I owned for a very short time>> well let's put it this way I just was not impressed. I would take one Dodo model over 2 Para 3 models any day of the week.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:28 pm
... here in Missouri >> and GOD love Missouri we can still EDC a folder with a 4 inch blade limit.....
JD, I'm pretty sure that 4" blade limit is only on concealed knives. There is no length limit, I believe, on "open carry" knives here in Missouri.

https://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/missouri/
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"