Smallest spyderco you are comfortable with?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Smallest spyderco you are comfortable with?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I always have a Caplifter Clipitool in my watch pocket. I always carry a larger knife as well though. I wouldn't carry that little guy as my only knife.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

I managed to use nothing but a Bug for week straight just to see if I could. I was very surprised with what that tiny knife was capable of.

However, I'd be much more comfortable with something like the Squeak. It's very much on the small side, but still enough knife for most tasks with just barely enough handle.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

As I've said many times in the past I'm just not really much of a fan of small folders or small knives period. Probably the smallest Spyderco EDC that I really loved was my Burgundy, ZDP-189 Caly Jr. ( 2005 era). That blade was like working with a straight razor in many respects. But I didn't EDC that one very long before I got into the longer models like the C-60 Ayoob and ultimately my beloved M390 Military.

A couple of the guys I chat with a lot have tried to get me to try the Dragonfly HAWKBILL model. I may at some point check that one out but for most of my cutting jobs I've found the HARPY or MERLIN or TASMAN to be about as small as I want to go for a working blade.

One small Spyderco fixed blade I used to own and even used on two occasions was the G-10 SPOT model of years gone by. Now I do have one model that I will try to EDC again at some point and I liked it the first time I EDCed it>> I'm speaking of my blue PE Dodo. It's at least got a handle I feel comfortable with. But the Dodo truly is one small blade I could get to like again.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I find the Squeak to be about the smallest I feel comfortable with....I tend to go up a smidge to the Urban.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:51 am
How secure is the mcbee's clip?
Solid as any other. It's on there good. Clips tight to the pocket, never worried about losing it.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Smallest I've ever owned and still do is the Dragonfly, it's perfection for it's size.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Native is my smallest and the Chaparral is the smallest I am considering.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

smallest so far is a lil native. i have tried the smallest byrd but didnt like it. i might try a dragonfly if i can find a good deal on one. but i am saving and waiting for a sage 5 frn.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

The Dragonfly is the smallest Spydie that I carry and use but never by itself. I always have another knife that is at least 3 inches. The smallest I think I would go as a stand alone knife is the Chaparral.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:23 pm
Lil Native is the smallest I'm most comfortable with believe it or not
I have one on the way....back lock of course. Can’t wait. I wanted a small tank and was not convinced by either Techno.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:13 am
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:23 pm
Lil Native is the smallest I'm most comfortable with believe it or not
I have one on the way....back lock of course. Can’t wait. I wanted a small tank and was not convinced by either Techno.
I hope you like it! I love my comp lock version
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Dodo model in my overall opinion is probably the most useful and utilitarian blade Spyderco ever produced IMO. Which is why it breaks my heart that finding a Dodo in full SE is so difficult because it is a great small blade in both edge types.

And it's a small bladed model with a very ergonomic handle too.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I can get by with the Native, but if I really have something to do, I find myself wishing I had a PM2 or Manix.
blues

Post by blues »

I don't usually carry my smaller Spydercos but I could get by with the Urban K390 or Calypso Jr. ZDP-189.

My old Dragonfly is too small for me to be comfortable with despite it's being a classic.
- Retired from the chase -
carrot

Post by carrot »

I feel "under-knifed" if I have anything smaller than the Manbug Salt. That fierce serrated blade can go through anything, as long as reach isn't the issue. I gravitate towards knives sized between the Dragonfly and the Endela for normal EDC however.

The Dragonfly is a fine EDC and cuts way more effectively than it looks like it should, but something more Endela sized is much better for picnics and sandwiches. Anything bigger only typically makes its way into my pockets if I know I'm gonna do a lot of knife stuff that day.
Maximumsmoochy

Post by Maximumsmoochy »

soulspy wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:33 pm
sharpguitarist wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:56 pm
Hey guys,
Am I the only one hooked on the Rhino?
Later,
Don
No, that's my pick too. Along with the LilNative,Vrango, Lil Nilaaka.
Third call in the Rhino as my smallest go-to. Prefer the ergos to the Lil' Native and DF2. Had an Air that I liked a lot, but it was a little too slim and awkward in my mitts when opening and closing.

Caly Jr is the next step up.
Past: Dragonfly, Air, Rhino, Lil' Native, Techno 2, Caly Jr., Brouwer, Chap LW, Para3, N5, Watu, ‘Chef, Mantra 2, SSStretch, PM2, Smock, Shaman, Advocate, GB2, Kapara, Military, Bradley Bowie, Province

Present: P4 K390 FRN

Future: Para3 Cruwear (someday)

Regrets: Most of them
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

Every knife is more suited to the task at hand and the size matters. I've been opening Spyderco knives a long time and I consider myself dexterous in both hands. The Dragonfly is the limit for me for easy one hand opening. I open a lady bug with one hand but slower and a little more concentration.

Now Delica and Native sizes hit that sweet spot. So I'd say the Native for edc ease of use, but I almost always have a ladybug somewhere with me.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I used to love the small ones and carried a Co Pilot pretty often. The Chaparral is the smallest I carry now and the Delica is even better for me.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

For indoor days in the office I carry a CF C22 Michael Walker or a Techno and that's fine. For normal use I prefer something bigger (Bowie, Caly 3.5, Military etc)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Smallest knife I carry would be a Jester, but that's always with another larger knife.

If we are talking about the smallest knife I would carry as an EDC, I'd have to say the Baby Horn. It's tiny, but has a relatively huge blade.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson