Caly 3.5 Light Weight: Any News?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Caly 3.5 Light Weight: Any News?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Is there any estimated time or any news on the upcoming Caly 3.5 Light Weight?

Anyone looking forward to it?
SG89

Re: Caly 3.5 Light Weight: Any News?

Post by SG89 »

I am very much looking forward to it
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SpyderEdgeForever

Me too, Spydergirl. Do you think it will have a similiar texture to the FRN scales as the Sage Light Weight?

I was reading reviews of the original Calypso and Caly line and most users found them to be very favorable, along with people on the forum here who have them. The only complaint I found was someone claiming they were unable to disassemble the knife for cleaning.
Perhaps the Light Weight will use screw-construction so people can disassemble and clean the insides.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I can let slip a little news, pretty sure it won't be coming from Seki...
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:18 pm
Me too, Spydergirl. Do you think it will have a similiar texture to the FRN scales as the Sage Light Weight?
If it does I won't buy it. I do not like the FRN chaparral/ Sage 5 Lightweight texture... I prefer Golden, Seki, or Maniago FRN textures. I am prob the one person that doesn't like the Taichung frn texture lol
Spydergirl88
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Yes, definitely looking forward to this one
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I'm definitely in for this one. The 3.5 just works.
Tims

Post by Tims »

Top of my most wanted list for 2019(I hope).
cesma

Post by cesma »

...i'm waiting for this one!!!!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

araneae wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:36 pm
So... Golden?
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:56 am
araneae wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:36 pm
So... Golden?
I'm betting Taiwan.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Caly 3.5 is Moki made anyways... Hoping for the fish scale texture like on the Caly jr lightweight
Spydergirl88
SpyderEdgeForever

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:19 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
If it does I won't buy it. I do not like the FRN chaparral/ Sage 5 Lightweight texture... I prefer Golden, Seki, or Maniago FRN textures. I am prob the one person that doesn't like the Taichung frn texture lol
Thank you for explaining that to me. When it comes to the FRN handles on Spyderco knives from these other places, what do you consider to be the "ideal surface texture" for your uses that is both practical, comfortable, and cosmetically good for a Caly 3.5? I am appreciating this knife and its potential more and more.
sal

Post by sal »

It will have the same texture as the Chaparral and Sage Lightweight. bi-directional like all of the others. Sorry Spydergirl. We have found that makers like to take pride in their talent and skill and having their own texture helps distinguish them from other makers. Golden and one Seki maker share the radiating texture primarily because it was first. While I liked it, the fish scale texture of the calypso was never that popular.

It's still on-the-works. We've not yet received a prototype from the maker.

sal
SpyderEdgeForever

Amazing information, sal, thank you so much, friend!

This is truly excellent news. I was looking at some of my old Spyderco catalog/product guides and trying to mentally super-impose the handle of the Sage 5 Light Weight onto the handle of the original Caly 3.5, to get a basic view of what it will look like.

I want to compliment you again on the use of the leaf-shaped blades. They are very geometrically-efficient and durable. A friend of mine who studies geometry agreed.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

No worries Sal. Plenty of other spydies that appeal to me. The Caly 3.5 Lightweight will be a great seller I'm sure.
Spydergirl88
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

sal wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:11 am
It will have the same texture as the Chaparral and Sage Lightweight. bi-directional like all of the others. Sorry Spydergirl. We have found that makers like to take pride in their talent and skill and having their own texture helps distinguish them from other makers. Golden and one Seki maker share the radiating texture primarily because it was first. While I liked it, the fish scale texture of the calypso was never that popular.

sal
Hi Sal, I held a Caly 3.5 FRN prototype at the April OKCA show and specifically mentioned to Eric that the scale pattern seemed “limp” compared to the more pronounced texturing on the Delica, lightweight Native, etc. It had the same type of raised/sloped “cubes” to give it texture, but they were spaced too far apart and were not tall enough to give the same confident grip that the other similar FRN patterns have (why I use the term “limp”). I’m really hoping those scales have been updated to better match the amazing Golden and Japanese patterns they’re modeled after. Thanks much, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
araneae

Post by araneae »

sal wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:11 am

sal
Please, please, please
add some contours similar to the P3.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote: It will have the same texture as the Chaparral and Sage Lightweight. bi-directional like all of the others. Sorry Spydergirl. We have found that makers like to take pride in their talent and skill and having their own texture helps distinguish them from other makers. Golden and one Seki maker share the radiating texture primarily because it was first. While I liked it, the fish scale texture of the calypso was never that popular.

sal
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:19 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
I assume some people don´t realize (Spydergirl, I am sure YOU do though!) , that the Taichung / Chaparral - FRN texture in fact IS a bidirectional one! This is somehow harder to SEE than on the Seki-texture, but one sure can FEEL it. (So the Chaparral texturing really does not look like it would feature the bidirectional properties, but in fact it HAS those quite noticeable)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Has it been determined what steel will be used in the 3.5 lightweight? Would love to see the LC.