Send in a knife for stonewashing?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hugaso

Send in a knife for stonewashing?

Post by Hugaso »

Aloha Sal,

I'm a huge fan of your Shaman series knife, and I recently acquired a sprint run S90V CF Shaman (it's fantastic!). However, I really loved the smooth stonewashed finish of standard S30V shaman blade and clip.

Is it possible to send my S90V knife to Golden, CO and request a stonewashed finish for the blade and clip? Of course, I'd happily pay for the service. I'd like to pursue a manufacturer option if available before I go to a third-party or do it myself.

Mahalo,
Sean
Proud owner of an engraved Pacific Salt SE from BHQ's bargain bin
Hugaso

Re: Send in a knife for stonewashing?

Post by Hugaso »

*Shameless attempt to bump*
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Bumping due to delay in moderation. ;)
There is nothing more important than this one day.
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

This would be really awesome as I've come to like the stone washed finish on the Shaman as well. Guess we will see.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Stonewashing👍
I like The finish on my Maxamet.
Do more.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Crux

Post by Crux »

If you can find someone that stone washes or acid washes knife blades for a fair price then please, please, please pm me.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I have a hornady brass cleaner, might throw some gravel and a blade in there and see how it comes out...
Genotoxic

Post by Genotoxic »

I've once successfully did a ghetto stone wash at home for free on a 940-2 blade I had scratched being stupid and it turned out really nice actually... I'd post a pic but I gave away the knife so it's no longer with me but I'll share what I did.

You'll need: an empty Gatorade bottle or something along that nature of the thicker plastic so it's more robust and also with a wider opening to fit the blade in. A towel, some gravel of various sizes (I literally walked a few minutes a grabbed a couple handfuls off the side of the road) and tape... oh and a working dryer

Basically, take the bottle, throw the blade in... fill it up with gravel but only a bit since you want room for everything to bounce around and stonewash. Close up the bottle tight and wrap it in a towel or two and tape it to hold it together (this protects your dryer) toss it in the dryer and let the thing run on a no heat cycle for half an hour.

Check the level of stonewash at this point, if you want heavier just keep running it until you get where you like... also tape off the pivot area, it could slow down the action compared to the nice satin

A proper stone washing machine would probably do a better job but this can be completely free for anyone with a dryer... to give an idea the stonewash looked super similar to Kershaws stonewashing on the emerson cqc 7k.
GoBlue93

Post by GoBlue93 »

Sean,

I was literally thinking about doing this exact thing to my S90V Shaman. Did you ever stonewash it yourself or send it into the factory?

Kris :bug-red-white
Hugaso wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:18 pm
Aloha Sal,

I'm a huge fan of your Shaman series knife, and I recently acquired a sprint run S90V CF Shaman (it's fantastic!). However, I really loved the smooth stonewashed finish of standard S30V shaman blade and clip.

Is it possible to send my S90V knife to Golden, CO and request a stonewashed finish for the blade and clip? Of course, I'd happily pay for the service. I'd like to pursue a manufacturer option if available before I go to a third-party or do it myself.

Mahalo,
Sean
🏂⚽️〽️🏈🏐🥃
22🕷 9 Different Steels
Hugaso

Post by Hugaso »

GoBlue93 wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:57 pm
Sean,

I was literally thinking about doing this exact thing to my S90V Shaman. Did you ever stonewash it yourself or send it into the factory?

Kris :bug-red-white
Hi Kris,

No, I never did anything to my S90V Shaman. I remeber calling the Golden factory way back when I made this thread, and was kindly told it's a service they don't offer. In general I'm adverse to modifying sprint runs/exclusives. So I didn't pursue any 3rd party services or dare to do it myself.

Admittedly, the sharp corners on the spine and spider hole have kept it out of my pocket a lot - and it doesn't get enough love because of that.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Hugaso wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:38 am

Admittedly, the sharp corners on the spine and spider hole have kept it out of my pocket a lot - and it doesn't get enough love because of that.
IMHO, owning a knife that doesn't go in the pocket would give me some anger >:[
I would customize it to allow some usage. Though, if it is a sprint run that you wanna keep pristine for the sake of collecting or resale value, it won't be an option. Stonewashing would knock off those sharp corners and add some originality.

Its not that easy to have the exact stonewash you wish however. Lots of pros and cons and I think you took them well into account!

edit : approx. 100 typos.
Last edited by Ramonade on Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Hugaso

Post by Hugaso »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:35 am

IMHO, owning knife that doesn't go in the pocket would give me some anger >:[
I would customize it to allow me to use it. Tho, if it is a sprint run that you wanna keep pristine for the sake of collection or resale value, it isnt an option. Stonewashing woyld knock off those sharp corners and add some originality.

Its not that easy to have the exact stonewash you wish however. Lots of pros and cons and I think you took them well into account!
Hi Ramonade,

At this point I cope by calling myself a collector.

I've always been in some kind of flux with my hobbies. I like rare/unique/novel things - such as sprint run knives with exotic super steels & materials. But I can't bring myself to ever sell them, I'd sooner give them away to a friend. I want to use the rare ones to their full potential, but I always turn to the standard production evergreen models (easily replaced) in S30V/VG-10 for daily use & personalisation.

It's a mixture of frugality, fear, and finickiness that keeps me from using a lot of my knives like they meant to be used.

So I often stare at things like my CF/S90V Shaman with a tinge of sadness for a moment, then grab my S30V Shaman with micarta scales and deep carry pocket clip.

Standard production models in K390/Maxamet/LC200N/S110V take away a lot of pain. A full-fledged custom shop with a good variety of steels/coatings/finishes/materials/textures/engravings would be a dream come true, but it's more like a pipe-dream for now.

-Sean
Mendozamike89

Post by Mendozamike89 »

Genotoxic wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:22 am
I've once successfully did a ghetto stone wash at home for free on a 940-2 blade I had scratched being stupid and it turned out really nice actually... I'd post a pic but I gave away the knife so it's no longer with me but I'll share what I did.

You'll need: an empty Gatorade bottle or something along that nature of the thicker plastic so it's more robust and also with a wider opening to fit the blade in. A towel, some gravel of various sizes (I literally walked a few minutes a grabbed a couple handfuls off the side of the road) and tape... oh and a working dryer

Basically, take the bottle, throw the blade in... fill it up with gravel but only a bit since you want room for everything to bounce around and stonewash. Close up the bottle tight and wrap it in a towel or two and tape it to hold it together (this protects your dryer) toss it in the dryer and let the thing run on a no heat cycle for half an hour.

Check the level of stonewash at this point, if you want heavier just keep running it until you get where you like... also tape off the pivot area, it could slow down the action compared to the nice satin

A proper stone washing machine would probably do a better job but this can be completely free for anyone with a dryer... to give an idea the stonewash looked super similar to Kershaws stonewashing on the emerson cqc 7k.
Gonna try with my k390 Dragonfly that I messed up the finish using barkeeper's friend removing the patina n couple rust spots..smh..I'll post pics
:bug-white-red Mendozamike89 :bug-red-white
51 spyderco knives in 20 different types of steels.

My Top 3 EDC
-1- Smock s30v with black RGT micarta and lynch clip. With Skipp 3/16"1/16"11 ball bearings.

-2- Sage 5 lw (bladehq exclusive) with black m4 steel rit dyed dark green & black lynch clip to match

-3- Shaman with cruwear dlc (knife joker exclusive) with gray micarta RGT scales and long gray lynch clip.
GoBlue93

Post by GoBlue93 »

Would love to see pictures, I’m still thinking about doing this with my S90V Shaman. It’s so sharp around the Spydiehole, and I love my Cutlery Shop XHP Stonewashed Shaman.
Mendozamike89 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:18 am
Genotoxic wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:22 am

Gonna try with my k390 Dragonfly that I messed up the finish using barkeeper's friend removing the patina n couple rust spots..smh..I'll post pics
🏂⚽️〽️🏈🏐🥃
22🕷 9 Different Steels