Send in a knife for stonewashing?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hugaso

Send in a knife for stonewashing?

Postby Hugaso » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:18 pm

Aloha Sal,

I'm a huge fan of your Shaman series knife, and I recently acquired a sprint run S90V CF Shaman (it's fantastic!). However, I really loved the smooth stonewashed finish of standard S30V shaman blade and clip.

Is it possible to send my S90V knife to Golden, CO and request a stonewashed finish for the blade and clip? Of course, I'd happily pay for the service. I'd like to pursue a manufacturer option if available before I go to a third-party or do it myself.

Mahalo,
Sean
Proud owner of an engraved Pacific Salt SE from BHQ's bargain bin

Hugaso

Re: Send in a knife for stonewashing?

Postby Hugaso » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:34 pm

*Shameless attempt to bump*
Proud owner of an engraved Pacific Salt SE from BHQ's bargain bin

TazKristi

Postby TazKristi » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:41 am

Bumping due to delay in moderation. ;)
There is nothing more important than this one day.

GiftedMisfit

Postby GiftedMisfit » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:27 am

This would be really awesome as I've come to like the stone washed finish on the Shaman as well. Guess we will see.
:spyder: Jesse :spyder:

gull wing

Postby gull wing » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:35 am

Stonewashing👍
I like The finish on my Maxamet.
Do more.
SCARAMOUCHE! :spyder:

Crux

Postby Crux » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:47 pm

If you can find someone that stone washes or acid washes knife blades for a fair price then please, please, please pm me.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:

jpm2

Postby jpm2 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:18 pm

I have a hornady brass cleaner, might throw some gravel and a blade in there and see how it comes out...

Genotoxic

Postby Genotoxic » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:22 am

I've once successfully did a ghetto stone wash at home for free on a 940-2 blade I had scratched being stupid and it turned out really nice actually... I'd post a pic but I gave away the knife so it's no longer with me but I'll share what I did.

You'll need: an empty Gatorade bottle or something along that nature of the thicker plastic so it's more robust and also with a wider opening to fit the blade in. A towel, some gravel of various sizes (I literally walked a few minutes a grabbed a couple handfuls off the side of the road) and tape... oh and a working dryer

Basically, take the bottle, throw the blade in... fill it up with gravel but only a bit since you want room for everything to bounce around and stonewash. Close up the bottle tight and wrap it in a towel or two and tape it to hold it together (this protects your dryer) toss it in the dryer and let the thing run on a no heat cycle for half an hour.

Check the level of stonewash at this point, if you want heavier just keep running it until you get where you like... also tape off the pivot area, it could slow down the action compared to the nice satin

A proper stone washing machine would probably do a better job but this can be completely free for anyone with a dryer... to give an idea the stonewash looked super similar to Kershaws stonewashing on the emerson cqc 7k.

Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”