Ikuchi

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
koenigsegg

Re: Ikuchi

Post by koenigsegg »

spyderg wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:28 pm
It’s only been two days but so far the clip mod is working well.
Is it just me or does anyone else think Spyderco should make an Ikuchi mini and an Ikuchi Xl?
I think a mini would do well, I can't wait for a Sprint. K390 Titanium
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

koenigsegg wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:39 pm
spyderg wrote:
Is it just me or does anyone else think Spyderco should make an Ikuchi mini and an Ikuchi Xl?
I think a mini would do well, I can't wait for a Sprint. K390 Titanium
Integral Tikuchi, I like the sound of that. I'd prefer LC200N, but I'd take anything for some nice titanium. :)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

spyderg wrote:

I would be SO IN for a minikuchi :D :D
~andrew
anycal

Post by anycal »

Have there ever been Taichung sprints? There are variations of knives like Sage and Chaparral. But sprints and exclusives? I am not aware of any. I could be wrong...

I would be all over a sprint/exclusive Ikuchi. But if history of Taichung models is any indication, not likely :(
Peter
SG89

Post by SG89 »

anycal wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:53 am
Have there ever been Taichung sprints? There are variations of knives like Sage and Chaparral. But sprints and exclusives? I am not aware of any. I could be wrong...

I would be all over a sprint/exclusive Ikuchi. But if history of Taichung models is any indication, not likely :(
There have been Domino exclusives like the one from BBS
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
PStone

Post by PStone »

And the orange knifecenter Positron as well. So there is hope! :) :spyder:
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

anycal wrote:

The PPT Perrin has had two sprints now! :spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I’m picturing a lightweight salt xl, and a titanium mini.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I figured I’d post an update for anyone that might care. I don’t carry it everyday but often enough to say my little filler tab for the wire clip works well. It has stayed put and doesn’t catch on things like I feared it might. It makes the knife useable! I’m going to make a couple more for my other wire clipped knives.
690DA0CA-4874-488C-812C-27842E5E5B69.jpeg
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

it's very classy!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:00 am
anycal wrote:

There have been Domino exclusives like the one from BBS
DirtMcGirt wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:16 am
And the orange knifecenter Positron as well. So there is hope! :) :spyder:
Just need a dealer to ask for it I believe
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

At this point I'm more interested in seeing an Ikuchi CQI before seeing a sprint.

Then I'd like to at least get a peek of the next horseman in the quad Paul has in store for us. What will it be Conquest, War, or Death? Whatever, it should be very interesting.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Mako109 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:27 am
At this point I'm more interested in seeing an Ikuchi CQI before seeing a sprint.

Then I'd like to at least get a peek of the next horseman in the quad Paul has in store for us. What will it be Conquest, War, or Death? Whatever, it should be very interesting.

CQI... ?
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:06 am
Mako109 wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:27 am

CQI... ?
CQI=Constant Quality Improvement. Before sprints come out (if they do at all), would prefer they make CQI adjustments to design/production to address some of the issues reported as best they can. Yes, yes, yes...not everyone experienced issues, but some have. And yes, yes, yes...some who have, managed to fix the problems themselves. I prefer not to have to do it myself. Examples: exposed tip in closed position, sharp burr(s) on flipper wheel, and blade centering.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Wonder if we'll see a CQI version later this year. I sold mine after remedying the exposed tip. I want another one. I won't complain if they make the action a bit slicker too - bearings?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

I sold both of mine, one too many finger tip slices. Just rolled the Dice on a Parata hope this one has been better engineered and Quality Control has not let another Tropen or Ikuchi out the gate with poor implementation of design that allows buyers to be cut.

Love Spyderco no doubt about it but when a knife in the closed position cuts the buyer... Not Cool.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

ABX2011 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:13 am
Wonder if we'll see a CQI version later this year. I sold mine after remedying the exposed tip. I want another one. I won't complain if they make the action a bit slicker too - bearings?
I believe a pivot change from washers to bearings is beyond the scope of CQI, however I too would love to see it happen.

I understand the benefits of washers on a hard use knife, but I hardly consider the Ikuchi a hard use knife. To me it's definitely a gents EDC.

The washers work well, but I believe bearings would make it even better in terms of action as well as making it easier on the finger in deployment. On my desk right now are four knives similar in size to the Ikuchi, and all in the same price bracket. Three are made by WE (Chinese) and one by Viper (Italian). All four are flippers and employ bearings. They open and close one-handed beautifully. I can fidget flip them all day long. Not so with the Ikuchi as the force required to deploy chaffs my finger (or thumb when Bic flicking) fairly quickly on the jimped wheel, and closing requires a lot of wrist force/action to shut. Again not saying the washers are horrible, it just contributes to making the Ikuchi less fidget friendly.

Lastly, I would like to see scales without the hole. The blade bears the trademark Spydie hole and I think that should be good enough. The hole in the scales serve little to no purpose, even as the suggested "indexing" point for the fingers, and the more I look at it the less I like it. I suppose this can be easily remedied by third party scale makers and I look forward see them appear in the market.

Did I say I really like the Ikuchi? Well I do and enough to hope that Spyderco continues to make this great little knife even better. :)
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I think bearings would be more appropriate if feasible. Perhaps the tang is too small to accommodate bearings. The hole in the handle didn't bother me.
I was pretty happy with mine after sanding down the spine slightly. But with the scarcity I decided to sell into the demand. Most often my light users are sold at a hefty loss. I don't mind waiting for the second run and there's a chance that they'll improve more than just the exposed tip.
anycal

Post by anycal »

No issues here. I have been carrying this one at work (office) probably 90% of the time since I got it.

Peter
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Those scales look great.
Will we see the Ikuchi back in stock this year?