Spearfishing Blade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
deepdiver17

Spearfishing Blade

Post by deepdiver17 »

Hello all. This is my first post on here, been lingering around for a while and noticed how receptive spyderco is to customer feedback. THANK YOU SPYDERCO!

I’m an avid spearfisherman and all around waterman, down in Miami, FL. Through all my years of spearfishing a dive knife is one of the tools that most Companies just throw together without really listening to feedback IE. rust buckets, or inability to cut. Now I know spyderco came out with the fish hunter and it’s great however there are some drawbacks. As a spearfisherman you don’t want a long blade, a short 2.5-3” Blade is PERFECT. Also the handle typically in spearfishing, we’re fisting the handle, as in not holding as you would to cut a steak or filet (for example). The handle is gripped in the palm to stab a fish in the head.

In my opinion the perfect knife would be the size of the H1 enuff, with the blade design of the fish hunter and a full tang symmetrical handle with swells on either side. H1 or LC200N, since the straight edge isn’t as important with a spearfishing specific knife H1 would work fine (probably cheaper to produce).

I’m pretty confident if spyderco could create a line of diving specific knives, encompassing both facets (scuba and spearfishing) and made a knife tailored to those two individually, they would dominate the industry. With every dive knife there is always a compromise. Spyderco is in a position to create a knife where there is no compromise, ergonomically superior and corrosion proof.

Kind of long winded but I had the thought and would
Be super stoked to have a dive knife that I don’t have to baby or worry about not being able to cut when needed.

I’ll post some pics of well designed dive knives that check a lot of boxes but aren’t quite as durable as any spyderco knife.

Hope this post wasn’t out of place, and thank you spyderco for giving us a platform to post our thoughts and opinions. Also if anyone is on the same boat, give some feedback, maybe other divers that have similar experiences and needs.
sal

Re: Spearfishing Blade

Post by sal »

Hi DeepDiver,

Welcome to our forum.

Many of our designs like the fish hunter came from suggestions and feedback. Looking forward to your thought.

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Spyderco has purpose built knives just for this and similar sports. You could buy a spear fisherman and shorten the blade or an Enuff salt and put appoint on it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Welcome to the forum, deepdiver. The H1 knives such as the Pacific Salt, Fish Hunter, and Aqua Salt are excellent and super-durable.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Deepdiver17 has made a valid point. With a scuba oriented sheath the H1 Enuff could be perfect for scuba. I don't spearfish but I know some spearfishers and as OP stated they use small knives.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome to the forum deepdiver!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
deepdiver17

Post by deepdiver17 »

Appreciate all the warm welcomes and feedback! Just want to clarify that by no mean am I saying that Spyderco hasn't already made great knives. I think a lot of the knives in spydercos line up come from user input, and they've done a **** good job of making some fantastic knives that meet alot of peoples needs.

I did have the thought of buying an enuff and regrinding it, but I wouldn't even know where to begin with that endeavor, and also I think that cuts out a lot of people out that are buying a knife specifically for spearfishing. In my case I have a Salt 2, a Water Way, a pacific salt, and every variation of the para 3 I can get my hands on. The fish hunter I dont own, mainly because its a long knife that leaves more room for things to get tangled when fishing with a polespear and belt reel in the Bahamas where there are deep caves and lots of sea life on the bottom (sea fans to be specific). Essentially its very easy to get snagged or tangled up out there especially when hunting with primitive gear. Which is the biggest reason that a very small foot print is absolutely required out there.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi DeepDiver,

Why don't you show or send me a drawing of what you would like to regrind on the Enuff Salt. We can try to grind one here and you can test it for us?

sal
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

sal wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:50 am
Hi DeepDiver,

Why don't you show or send me a drawing of what you would like to regrind on the Enuff Salt. We can try to grind one here and you can test it for us?

sal
That's so cool. Let us know how it goes deepdiver
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
deepdiver17

Post by deepdiver17 »

Wow, thank you a million. Ill see if i can draw something up, I'm not a very gifted artist though haha. This knife below covers a lot of the bases when it comes to spearfishing, some of the drawbacks being length and most importantly corrosion resistance. I'll see if I can draw something up and send it to you though. The hole in the back is used to straighten spear shafts, Im sure at some point you could incorporate the spydie hole for this feature.

TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

This is why I love Spyderco.

Sal, you're a superstar. :)
deepdiver17

Post by deepdiver17 »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:36 am
This is why I love Spyderco.

Sal, you're a superstar. :)
Amen to that!
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

And what a name for a handy small blade... "Deep Diver"... ? :)
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

As a newly certified scuba diver I will be very interested in seeing what comes of this.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
deepdiver17

Post by deepdiver17 »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:54 pm
And what a name for a handy small blade... "Deep Diver"... ? :)
Haha I love it!!
BladeDiver

Post by BladeDiver »

Dear all,

Just copying in a previous post from Jul 2017 and a recent follow-up regarding the Spyderco Fish Hunter (posted on a different thread):

Hi all,

Just picked up my Fish Hunter at the knife smith's. The hole got a bit larger than I wanted, 8.5mm, but it should do the job with the spear.

With the plain edge, this knife should be handled with outmost care. The smith rounded of the point just a tiny bit, let's see how it works.

I'll initially try the knife in the elastic diving belt as shown. I'll also experiment with 3mm elastic cord and velcro bands + zip-ties for calf/arm attachment.

The smith said he struggled with the H1 steel, the more he worked on it, the harder it got. In the end, he damaged one of his milling tools. He jokingly said the steel must have som magic properties.

Thanks for the comment Sal. I think the Spyderco Fish Hunter has the potential to become the best spear fishing knife out there!

I'm looking forward to trying the knife in its right element...

Photos attached.

download/file.php?id=28803&t=1
download/file.php?id=28802&t=1
download/file.php?id=28801&t=1

Today's post:

Hi all,

Just thought I would pop in and give a short feed back on how the Fish Hunter(s) are holding up.

All in all, I am very happy with the knife, one of the best spear fishing knives in the market, probably the best with a few modifications in my opinion.

a) Plain edge back: To me it is very important to have a plain edge on a knife, it cuts cleaner, works well with in-the-field filleting and it makes penetration of the fish easier. So I am very happy I made this modification.

b) Oxidization: I am very impressed with the H1 steel, not a single spot of rust after many many long days in salt water.

c) Hole for retraction of spear: The way I did it compromises the strength of the blade too much. If this feature should be included, it should at or near the centre of the blade where the material is thicker. However, it is not a critical feature. One could ask if there should be a hole in the blade at all...

d) Sheath: "As is" it is not good enough. After some use, the "lock" gets worn and the knife slips out too easily. For diving, you must use a lanyard, or better, an elastic to attach the knife to the sheath. I use a round elastic around 30 cm long tied to the handle and to the upper hole in the original sheath. Further, I mount the sheath with one diving strap or two round elastics on the upper part of my forearm with handle facing the wrist. Like this, you can easily work with the knife and put the knife back with full visual control. You do not want to miss the opening of the sheath and slide this knife in where it does not belong... For me, keeping it in the belt is a no-go (also keep in mind the reduced angle of vision in the water and through a diving mask). When using my first knife (pictured in my previous post), I did not secure the knife to the sheath and I lost it. This was 14 months ago, and it is still in the Atlantic Ocean:). If I find it someday, I will share with you an update on the H1 corrosion resistance:). A second knife, I gave to my father, and it is still holding up well. My third is now at the knife smith's to set a plain edge on the back. I will not modify the hole this time.
portinfer

Post by portinfer »

Hi,
I agree with deepdiver.

I wrote a comment on the Waterway post a few years back.

I find myself again looking for a suitable knife for spearfishing.

Sal, I'm not sure if you got my email. If the offer still stands to test a reground Enuff I would be interested.

I'm based in Europe. I dive a fair amount, a few times a week for 2 to 4 hours each time. Maybe 100 to 150hrs a season, day and night. Diving for 20 years.

I ordered a native 5 salt from Lamnia but they just cancelled my order. I wanted to test the LC200N and the SE. I was after a general water knife.

For a spearfishing knife I think it comes down to a few very distinct cuts.

For me, I shoot a fish, grab it, push the knife into the top of the head, then cut both gills. On shore I gut and scale.
Very rarely do I cut line or rope.

From buying many different dive knives and seeing friends knives... They all rust, none are sharp (we mostly carry a line cutter for safety), most tips are broken.

From looking at spyderco fixed blades. I think the Sustain is interesting and the Kumo.

Not in terms of length but more in terms of shape and tip.
I think a dive knife needs a strong tip, parralel dagger shape, partially SE. A flat edged section near the top for scaling. Not essential.

Anyway, I will order a piece of flat stock in LC200N and have a go at making a blade.

Another question is the sheath...

Thanks,
Ed
bigboned

Post by bigboned »

watching this thread with interest
Andy
Necker - Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
Mon-Fri - Delica4 in Cruwear
Sat-Sun - Para3 in Cruwear

Urban K390 (2.61"), Bow River (for slicing jerky)

Want to try- PM2 CF M4 OR Cruwear , GB2, Bradley Bowie
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK
portinfer

Post by portinfer »

I have ordered a piece of flat stock from David at GFS UK. Very friendly bloke. 300mm x 30mm x 4mm so might get 2 blades out of it to play with but more realistically 1 then a smaller piece to maybe make a line cutter.
Possibly getting Shing to do the hardening.
Nice 2hr dive after work, had a gilthead and a bass. Tried to film my standard dispatch but angle not quite right.
Using an Omer knife at the moment. Snapped top and reground last year. Rusty but the catch into the sheath is actually quite good.
Ed
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Portinfer,

Are you Ed?

sal