Why Do People Hate Knives?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TkoK83Spy

Re: Why Do People Hate Knives?

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I actually had my first interaction with a "sheeple" just last week at work. People usually question me always being on the forum or looking at knives on bladehq, KC, etc...but never afraid of me carrying one. They just find it a weird hobby, or wonder why I need more than one.

During the summer we have a hand full of college students that are related to employees that come in and work. They typically do filing, cleaning up, painting type of jobs.

The other day a girl came into my office to ask if I could move some crates so she could get to a ballard that needed to be painted. I was sitting there with a Lysol wipe, cleaning off the tape gunk from my KW exclusive Manix 2. She says "oh my God! Why do you have such a large knife?" Most people at work just carry around retractable box cutters. I just told her I prefer them to the box cutters and that they are my hobby. She responded with something like "I'm sure that's illegal and you could be arrested for that, that's a bit excessive for a work environment"

At that point I just wanted out of the conversation because I didn't want it to create an issue so I just asked her what she needed.

It bothered me that she said that. So I got home and was telling my wife about it. She said...well think about it from her perspective. Asked me who her relative was (her father is a chemical engineer) no offense to anybody that reads this that is, or is in that field of work....but her father is definitely not the type of guy that would carry a knife.

So she says, I'm sure she wasn't raised around knives. Then she says think about this...walks into an office and the guy is cleaning his "scary knives" he has a beard and tattoos and is most likely playing Liquid Metal on his computer (SiriusXM heavy metal channel)...Which I was haha. Guess she may have a point :rolleyes:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

WHEW, I'M SAFE! IT WASN'T ME.

Come on people! Never flick a knife, it wears out the knife.

Don't dress like a tacticool mall ninja, unless you live in your mom's basement.

I don't own a thin blue line shirt, but given that I have 5 police officers in the family I'd like a thin blue line flag for the homestead. My MAGA hat is 35 miles away from me in Chicago at my apartment and hasn't been worn in a year. No NRA stickers or other political material on family's vehicle...sold my VEHICLE in 2018.

With regard to cutting things, I never use my knives to cut anything, they're for self defense only. They remain hidden until needed for self defense. If you ask me to cut something for you - you're out of luck. Chances are, you will not even know I'm wearing a knife.

Never talk about imaginary self defense scenarios. After practicing and dabbling in 10 martial arts, 5 of them Filipino knife arts there is no need.

Never jokingly make stabbing motions with my knives. Most of them are in boxes.

When seeing a knife for the first time, I wonder what niche in my collection it fills if any, and how can I afford it. Chances are I can't afford it right now, and THAT is what I think.

I don't perpetually view myself as a victim in a world progressing towards a view that does not align with mine. I'm not persecuted by a global system that does not share my values... the fact is, the large inner cities of the USA have been taken over by savages, BLM and Antifa. If that's your bag, move to the coasts.

I have not ever encountered real life "sheeple." I've never before used the word sheeple, but I've seen them on YouTube and in chats on social media.

I don't own any firearms, but I did at one time. Sold them for a job in Silicon Valley.

I have no tattoos, sometimes a small beard, but otherwise look like a participant in a 1950 cover photo of an IBM, Think Magazine.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Naperville wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:36 pm
...I never use my knives to cut anything...
You're joking aren't you??! :confused: :eek:
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

The Meat man wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:33 pm
Naperville wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:36 pm
...I never use my knives to cut anything...
You're joking aren't you??! :confused: :eek:
A coworker in IT, an ex US Marine, at one of my jobs asked to borrow my knife to cut zip ties in front of around 5 to 7 other coworkers. I felt somewhat betrayed. He knew that I carried and that my knives were for self defense only, yet thought I'd cough up my knife. I said no. He persisted and said he would not break the blade wherein I said, "I don't loan out my knives, and they are for self defense only."

You see, we worked in Downtown Chicago and often worked until 11PM to 2AM. We all had to walk to our respective car garages, train stations or bus stations. You never knew what junkie or other nut bag you were going to run in to.

Nope. I use my knives for one thing only, self defense.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Very good points Vivi. Honestly, my recent Spyders are about as high speed as my knives get. Prior to them, my edc carries were only Case, Opinel,and SAKs!😁
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
vivi

Post by vivi »

bearrowland wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:38 pm
Very good points Vivi. Honestly, my recent Spyders are about as high speed as my knives get. Prior to them, my edc carries were only Case, Opinel,and SAKs!😁
I've got a few tacticool mall ninja knives....szabo folder, voyager xl, someone gifted me an socp etc. Can count how often I carry each on one hand. Though the Voyager XL is pretty handy to clip to a pack for a hike. Nice little folding machete for trimming back growth on hiking trails. But not something I'd whip out at a kids birthday party to open a toy.
:unicorn
awa54

Post by awa54 »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sun May 10, 2015 4:37 pm
As a wise man here once said, "The only real weapon is your mind. Everything else is just a tool." The people who fear everything fear responsibility the most. They were raised to accept no blame, to take no responsibility for their actions, and they believe everyone else is just like them, to they can't blame the people who do bad things. Since it can't be the people, it must be the objects that are responsible.

So... it's the sociopaths who are afraid of everything being a weapon? does this mean that all the anti-weapon hand-wringers are secretly planning to bury a grill skewer between my shoulder blades some day??

Now I'm really afraid! ;)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

The most deadly device in history is an automobile. I've done way more fatal crash investigations than assaults with knives...so far.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

MNOSD member 0032
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

bearrowland wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:44 pm
The most deadly device in history is an automobile. I've done way more fatal crash investigations than assaults with knives...so far.
That is so true.

How can I convince an anti knife person to be pro knife? What advice do you have?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:10 pm
bearrowland wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:44 pm
That is so true.

How can I convince an anti knife person to be pro knife? What advice do you have?

You really can't if they have their minds made up so don't bother. ;)

Same goes for the anti-gun types.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

If think that if you asked people whether they *hate* the guns, knives, etc. their military, law enforcement, park rangers, hunters etc use, or their own 10” kitchen bread and carving knives, their answer would probably be a little incredulous.

What many actually appear to hate is you or I having, or even wanting, them.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I wish I knew. So much of the mindset is just ingrained from childhood on. I think the best thing we can do is just try to be the best knife ambassadors we can, and let the rest sort itself out. I think Chrisinhove is right about some of the issue too. It's a strange time we inhabit!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

bearrowland wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:10 am
I wish I knew. So much of the mindset is just ingrained from childhood on. I think the best thing we can do is just try to be the best knife ambassadors we can, and let the rest sort itself out. I think Chrisinhove is right about some of the issue too. It's a strange time we inhabit!

Most of what people believe is normally ingrained into their heads at a very early age by their parents, friends and the educational system.

Not to mention the media... TV.

It's called conditioning or brainwashing on a massive scale.

It is very hard to almost impossible to change the way someone believes.

Facts don't matter either. ;)
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I agree Ankerson.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
Crux

Post by Crux »

I think people should hate knives. My organization will buy back all your evil knives for a fair price. VG-10 is a minimum as anything less is really just a shiv.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Crux

Post by Crux »

Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

😂
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
PoisonedPizza

Post by PoisonedPizza »

my coworkers are afraid that because im bipolar and carry knives, im going to fly off the handle and hurt someone. Their statements hurt me, because they show ignorance of my condition and hobbies.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but the knife is cooler than the pen.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

my coworkers are afraid that because im bipolar and carry knives, im going to fly off the handle and hurt someone. Their statements hurt me, because they show ignorance of my condition and hobbies.
Have you ever considered being less forthcoming about your hobbies and conditions? Why would they need to know about either?

Welcome to Spydercoland.

Joe
James Y

Post by James Y »

PoisonedPizza wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:14 am
my coworkers are afraid that because im bipolar and carry knives, im going to fly off the handle and hurt someone. Their statements hurt me, because they show ignorance of my condition and hobbies.
I agree with The Mastiff.

There is no need to share that much information about yourself with co-workers, or anybody else who doesn’t have an absolute need to know. And very few people in a person’s life need to know these things. I have some friends I’ve known for decades who are unaware of my lifelong interest in knives; and the vast majority of my co-workers, and all of my casual acquaintances, are completely unaware that I’m into martial arts (which I’m into my 44th year of training now). Or that I used to suffer from depression. Very, VERY few people are on a need-to-know basis about any of those things, nor would most of them care. It also helps that, in general, I tend not to discuss these things, anyway.

As for your interest in knives, if you don’t make a big deal out of it, I’m pretty certain that with time, most of them won’t, either.

Jim