How do you disassemble a SS handle?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
WestonKnives

How do you disassemble a SS handle?

Post by WestonKnives »

I sure do like my new SS handled hawkbill but I like to play around and clean them out from time to time... has this been discussed before? Any tricks on maintenance?

Nice to meet ya! Feel free to reach out to me anytime... I’m just starting out on my collection :spyder:

Favorite: Paramilitary2. Spyderco: Ambitious, Tenacious, Paramilitary2. Byrd: Cara Cara2 Plain Edge, Rescue2, Stainless Steel Handle Hawkbill
Bloke

Re: How do you disassemble a SS handle?

Post by Bloke »

Hey Weston, knives like yours are pinned together with rivets and not designed to be disassembled although they can be by drilling out the rivets. A job best left to an experienced cutler and host likely costing more than the price of your knife when new.

I clean my pinned knives between the scales with a small artist’s brush while holding the knife edge down and the tang and lock area with the edge up so not to push grit back into moving parts. I apply a drop of oil to the pivot and maybe lock bar pin as required and wipe away all access (with a lint free cloth) as it tends to attract grit.

For what it’s worth I have a few pinned knives that I don’t think I’ve ever lubed. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
carrot

Post by carrot »

To be honest, I think I might like Spyderco's SS handles best. Because they are pinned, maintenance is low. There are fewer parts, and you can rinse them out under the faucet easily. Like Bloke, I'm not sure I've ever lubed a SS Spyderco.
WestonKnives

Post by WestonKnives »

Thanks for the reply guys. I’ll see how it holds up as I tend to treat my byrds a little rougher :cool:
Nice to meet ya! Feel free to reach out to me anytime... I’m just starting out on my collection :spyder:

Favorite: Paramilitary2. Spyderco: Ambitious, Tenacious, Paramilitary2. Byrd: Cara Cara2 Plain Edge, Rescue2, Stainless Steel Handle Hawkbill
sal

Post by sal »

Hi WestonKnives,

Rougher is OK. That's what we build them to take. Keep us posted.

sal
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I have found both spydie and byrd SS handles to be quite durable. Never an issue, and I like how the flush pins and hadle polish make them look and feel a lot like the entire handle is one milled out piece.