Trendy steels

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Albatross

Trendy steels

Post by Albatross »

Everyone talks about their steel favorites or their steel wishlist, but the trendy steels are almost never mentioned in conversations about which ones you DON'T want. So which ones do you not find interesting? For me, it's Cruwear and S110V. I have some tough steels, at least tough enough for me, but for my uses, edge retention is more important. I almost wish I had a need for Cruwear, just to see what all the hype is about. S110V didn't do it for me. It sharpened easily enough(on diamond bench stones), but I was never wowed by the edge holding; it's great, but not worth it for me. With an offering such as Maxamet, I don't see a personal need for S110V. Besides, S90V takes a much more crisp edge(in my experience), and slightly faster than S110V, but with less hassle in terms of bur removal.
inversion

Re: Trendy steels

Post by inversion »

I'm not a fan of any of the low Chromium steels, e.g., Maxamet, CPM-M4, CPM REX 45, Cru-Wear.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Honestly, I am kind of a "basic-steel-guy". I tried some, found out, what works for my use and sharpening skills (VG10, S30V, HAP 40, HXP, 154CM come to mind in the folder-realm) and I am not really interested in even-more-"super"-steels, especially if they are hard(er) to sharpen on a basic sharpmaker plus more expensive.

I also never really had rust-issues, despite using and carrying my knives in wet and/or sweaty conditions, so even LC200N or H1 are not too interesting for me.

Sometimes I think it could be a half-conscious, deliberate decision NOT to get too deep into steels and by that even deeper in the Spyderco-hobby: What I love even more is climbing, mountaineering, skiing and so on, and I need some money and especially TIME for that. If I got deeper into steels additionally to my existing Spyderco-hobby, I guess it could get somewhat tough, concerning money, time and consequently more time I'd need to EARN more money... ;)
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

For me, anything that isn't rust proof is a compromise. LC200N and H1 meet my edge holding needs. I have no desire to sacrifice rust proof for more edge retention or toughness in a pocket knife.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Added to my post above: So, no, I am not interested in "trendy" steels at all or to try those out.
What I really AM interested in are new models and to try those (though if I decide to keep one I usually have to sell one of my "old" folders, which can be tough).
But if those new models all came in only a VG10 and a HAP 40 version, that would not bother me much.

That being said: GENERALLY I totally love the variety Spyderco offers, and so also that they have a steel for almost everyone... :)
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I just like knives and steels. If it is a well made knife I am happy as long as it isn’t some soft 440A. Even that rule has its exception. I have a soft spot for SAKs and have since I was a kid. If you can carry and use a SAK you can use any steel. :)

That said, I am a steel geek and I do have my preferences and it does have a heavy impact on my buying decisions.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ferider

Post by ferider »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:27 pm
But if those new models all came in only a VG10 and a HAP 40 version, that would not bother me much.
Well, HAP40 (= Rex45) is pretty trendy :)

If I like a knife enough, steel is less important. I have a couple of Laguiole and SAKs that I like a lot. For historical reasons.

I don't see much point for LC200N, as S110V is almost as corrosion resistant. And comes with my favorite platforms. And too corrosion sensitive is a detractor for me. Never was attracted to 52100, for instance. I'm on the edge with K390 for the same reason. I don't like patinas or DLC. I am looking forward to the new P4 for that reason: it comes corrosion resistant with the blade shape that I love. :)

To quote Wartstein: "But if those new models all came in only a" CPM Cruwear version, "that would not bother me much." :) It's the perfect compromise for me.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ferider wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:50 pm
Wartstein wrote:

To quote Wartstein: "But if those new models all came in only a" CPM Cruwear version, "that would not bother me much." :) It's the perfect compromise for me.
Really? HAP 40 literally IS Rex45 (or at least very similar to it)? You see, it's how I said, I am really not into steels, didn't know that at all... ;)

/ And I am honored to be quoted by you! ;)
ferider

Post by ferider »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:56 pm
ferider wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Really? HAP 40 literally IS Rex45 (or at least very similar to it)? You see, it's how I said, I am really not into steels, didn't know that at all... ;)

Should quote you more often ... I like your posts :) Chemically they are almost the same, one is Hitachi, one is Crucible, and HT is different because of Japan vs. Colorado manufacture, I'm guessing. They are both powdered I believe. A little like M390 vs. CPM 20cv.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ferider wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:00 pm
Wartstein wrote:
ferider wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Should quote you more often ... I like your posts :) Chemically they are almost the same, one is Hitachi, one is Crucible, and HT is different because of Japan vs. Colorado manufacture, I'm guessing. They are both powdered I believe. A little like M390 vs. CPM 20cv.
Thanx, that's very kind of you.. and I am glad you find something to like in my posts, despite you obviously know a lot more about knife-and-steel-stuff than I do..

/ And good to know!! Since I really like HAP40, from now on I will also look more positive on REX 45 blades (though I guess they usually don't come cladded like Spydercos HAP 40, and I like that cladding).

Und jetzt gute Nacht, es ist schon nach Mitternacht hier in good old Austria... ;)
ferider

Post by ferider »

Gute Nacht !
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

ferider wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
ferider wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

I think part of the HT recipe with HAP40 laminate is the SS cladding, which limits the HT of the core steel.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Enactive wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:13 pm
ferider wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
ferider wrote:

I think part of the HT recipe with HAP40 laminate is the SS cladding, which limits the HT of the core steel.
Thanks for the insight.
No problem for me, I wouldn't need Spydercos HAP 40 any harder or "better"...
Crux

Post by Crux »

Steels are only considered "trendy" after they've been lucky enough to have been fitted in a Para 3 handle. The Para 3 is the King Steel Maker.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:19 pm
For me, anything that isn't rust proof is a compromise. LC200N and H1 meet my edge holding needs. I have no desire to sacrifice rust proof for more edge retention or toughness in a pocket knife.
Ever thought about trying a dendritic cobalt blade?

https://www.boyeknives.com/pages/folders
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

I'm not interested in non stainless steels for folders but I'm ok with them for fixed blades.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’m not interested in sXXv steels. Not into stainless steels that are a pain to sharpen. If I’m going to suffer with sharpening, Maxamet is where it’s at. So I very much like CRUWEAR, M4, rex45, and hap40. However, living in Florida and spending time around salt water, I love the salt series. I think CRUWEAR is a great edc steel, but then so is vg10. And BD1, though I haven’t tried BD1N. I’m toying with aeb-l now. This steel preference thing has turned into a mess...
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Crux wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:26 pm
Steels are only considered "trendy" after they've been lucky enough to have been fitted in a Para 3 handle. The Para 3 is the King Steel Maker.
I was waiting for this comment. :D
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I don't really have any dislikes. They're all good in my book
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:04 pm

I’m not interested in sXXv steels. Not into stainless steels that are a pain to sharpen. If I’m going to suffer with sharpening, Maxamet is where it’s at. So I very much like CRUWEAR, M4, rex45, and hap40. However, living in Florida and spending time around salt water, I love the salt series. I think CRUWEAR is a great edc steel, but then so is vg10. And BD1, though I haven’t tried BD1N. I’m toying with aeb-l now. This steel preference thing has turned into a mess...

I'm pretty similar except that I throw Maxamet and ZDP-189 in the S90V/S110V bucket of steels i'm not really interested in. I don't need crazy edge holding for my uses so I'd rather go with a steel that skews towards toughness and ease of sharpening. From the rust proof H1 and LC200N to the super tool steels like M4, 4V, and CRUWEAR, and on down to the "value" steels like BD1 and BD1N. Even VG-10 is starting to grow on me more now that I have the combo edge Delica.

I don't like laminated steels either, so all of the recent sprint series out of Seki have been hard passes for me. I'm glad we are seeing solid slab steels from Bohler Uddeholm like M390 and K390 make their way into Seki models. I'd love to see more BU steels in Seki like Elmax, Vanax, V4E, AEB-L, and Sleipner.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red