V-toku2 observation and update

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
A.S.O.K.A

V-toku2 observation and update

Post by A.S.O.K.A »

Just wanted to do an update on my experience with V-toku2. On the thread "V-toku2 Love" someone was mentioning how they had issues with their V-toku2 model. Not to mention some folks not getting a good over all performance with the steel. Heres a link to my latest video on the steel after being resharpened and a little boost with a 13dps edge

https://youtu.be/tY-h2zds8xw
Every Steel Has Its Appeal :cool:

A.S.O.K.A Edge on Youtube
awa54

Re: V-toku2 observation and update

Post by awa54 »

Gotta love the little-big D'fly!

I was the one with an Endura that was having terrible wire edging for the first two sharpenings (which I didn't realize the first time 'round, but resolved on the second go) and 1 to 2mm sections of the edge fracturing out with normal cutting tasks.

It seems like mine must have had either an inadequate relief stage in the HT, or more likely got overheated when the factory edge was applied, because I used it for yard work today, which included cutting hardwood and some cardboard breakdown and the edge held up perfectly.

Turns out that third time was the charm and with enough stock removal from the edge I got down to the "good stuff"... this third sharpening went deep of necessity (had to get rid of those big chips) and seems to have finally removed all of the flawed edge steel, I didn't really have any wire edge to speak of either and got a clean apex with ease (same stone progression and just a slightly higher angle than before: 15 DPS, no micro bevel, whereas the first two attempts were at 12.5 DPS).

This behavior is exactly what I'd expect from a craft made Japanese woodworking tool or traditional pattern knife, but not a machine made kiln/salt bath HT'd blade from Sakai... but all's well that ends well, now I have a solution if my V-Toku2 Delica shows the same tendencies!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
A.S.O.K.A

Post by A.S.O.K.A »

awa54 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:01 pm
Gotta love the little-big D'fly!

I was the one with an Endura that was having terrible wire edging for the first two sharpenings (which I didn't realize the first time 'round, but resolved on the second go) and 1 to 2mm sections of the edge fracturing out with normal cutting tasks.

It seems like mine must have had either an inadequate relief stage in the HT, or more likely got overheated when the factory edge was applied, because I used it for yard work today, which included cutting hardwood and some cardboard breakdown and the edge held up perfectly.

Turns out that third time was the charm and with enough stock removal from the edge I got down to the "good stuff"... this third sharpening went deep of necessity (had to get rid of those big chips) and seems to have finally removed all of the flawed edge steel, I didn't really have any wire edge to speak of either and got a clean apex with ease (same stone progression and just a slightly higher angle than before: 15 DPS, no micro bevel, whereas the first two attempts were at 12.5 DPS).

This behavior is exactly what I'd expect from a craft made Japanese woodworking tool or traditional pattern knife, but not a machine made kiln/salt bath HT'd blade from Sakai... but all's well that ends well, now I have a solution if my V-Toku2 Delica shows the same tendencies!
Glad to hear everything worked out. My first sharpening of V-toku2 had a stuborn wire edge at 17 dps till I slid the edge on rough leather. The second sharpening at 13 dps had no wire edge
Every Steel Has Its Appeal :cool:

A.S.O.K.A Edge on Youtube
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Good stuff!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?