Improvement suggestions for your favorite Spyderco knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Improvement suggestions for your favorite Spyderco knives?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I hope this is okay for me to ask but what improvements if any would you all suggest to Spyderco to add to or change on your personal-favorite knives?

As an example, I like wharncliffe points and sheepsfoot points but I would like to see something more in-between a sheepsfoot and wharncliffe, and a standard pointed knife blade, in the Rescue and Sheepsfoot Salt lines. I understand the need for blunt-tipped blades but I would love to see an Atlantic Salt or Assist that is a bit pointier. I understand that there is the Pacific Salt but how about a "pointy Sheepsfoot" or "pointier wharncliffe" blade?

What other features would you like to see changed on some of your favorite of their knives, both blade, lock, handle, clip, etc?

I would love to see Spyderco add some new locking mechanisms, and again, hope this is okay to say, but to use the TriAd and Axis Lock on some of their folders. Imagine an Endura with a Triad Lock and a blade of Lc200N stainless steel and hard rubberized scales or standard FRN scales.

I would like to see a "saber flat ground scimitar shaped" Spyderco Aqua Salt, or , a shorter Aqua Salt, with a blade in the 3 to 4 inch range, satin-finished.

Sure, this is mostly just theoretical but good designs start with good ideas.

I would also like to see a set of Spyderco full-sized Rescue Shears with a folding locking satin-finished rust proof general purpose utility blade and a new, improved, LC200N Caspian Salt line.
lonerider1013

Re: Improvement suggestions for your favorite Spyderco knives?

Post by lonerider1013 »

I'd like a salt lil native.
Also a delica with s30v might be nice...
But the main thing I want is a wire clip that can mount to the 3-screw attachments on regular clip knives like the delica endura and para3. Maybe two washers, one with the two grooves, the other that fits above the clip, and the three bolts (or two of the three) go thru... I know Sal can do this!
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
Banter 247

Post by Banter 247 »

CQI Domino with a little tweaking to the pivot. No change to steel, no change to grind, etc. Just tweak the pivot. Done.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Better G10 on the tenacious line! Love the knives, but prefer the feel of the golden spydies G10!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Tims

Post by Tims »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:24 pm
I hope this is okay for me to ask but what improvements if any would you all suggest to Spyderco to add to or change on your personal-favorite knives?

As an example, I like wharncliffe points and sheepsfoot points but I would like to see something more in-between a sheepsfoot and wharncliffe, and a standard pointed knife blade, in the Rescue and Sheepsfoot Salt lines. I understand the need for blunt-tipped blades but I would love to see an Atlantic Salt or Assist that is a bit pointier. I understand that there is the Pacific Salt but how about a "pointy Sheepsfoot" or "pointier wharncliffe" blade?

What other features would you like to see changed on some of your favorite of their knives, both blade, lock, handle, clip, etc?

I would love to see Spyderco add some new locking mechanisms, and again, hope this is okay to say, but to use the TriAd and Axis Lock on some of their folders. Imagine an Endura with a Triad Lock and a blade of Lc200N stainless steel and hard rubberized scales or standard FRN scales.

I would like to see a "saber flat ground scimitar shaped" Spyderco Aqua Salt, or , a shorter Aqua Salt, with a blade in the 3 to 4 inch range, satin-finished.

I would also like to see a set of Spyderco full-sized Rescue Shears with a folding locking satin-finished rust proof general purpose utility blade and a new, improved, LC200N Caspian Salt line.
Your prayers have already been answered mate. whilst not of the Salt line, the Endura wharncliffe is a sheepsfootish wharny
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'm pretty happy with my knives as it is. If I wanted a Triad lock it would be as easy as carrying one I have. It takes a backseat to my knives already. I wouldn't mind seeing that wonderful K390 steel in a run of Enduras and Delicas though.

Joe
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Well, Spyderco has perfected the Yojimbo 2 imo, with the 20CV version.
I wouldn't mind however, to see the Yojumbo as a flipper.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

First of all, I think it is great that Spyderco released a Smock design. He is one of the many makers that have licensed a piece of Spyderco technology. I would like to see more collaborations with those custom makers (Jarosz in particular) who have used Spyderco technology in their own work. I would also love to see a Rassenti and/or Sinkevich design at half the price of their current collaborations. I'm not arguing for the same designs to be half price. Instead have a new knife that is more affordable, but has a price high enough to get the materials, fit, finish, etc. that we expect from those makers.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:

You mean like this?

It's really simple to do if you have a Dremel. I plan on eventually getting a sheepsfoot Caribbean and doing the same to it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

p_atrick wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:20 pm
First of all, I think it is great that Spyderco released a Smock design. He is one of the many makers that have licensed a piece of Spyderco technology. I would like to see more collaborations with those custom makers (Jarosz in particular) who have used Spyderco technology in their own work. I would also love to see a Rassenti and/or Sinkevich design at half the price of their current collaborations. I'm not arguing for the same designs to be half price. Instead have a new knife that is more affordable, but has a price high enough to get the materials, fit, finish, etc. that we expect from those makers.
A sinkevich spyderco, under 200 bucks, would have my money in a heartbeat!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i love the manix 2 lw. it is in need of torx screws though. i would also prefer a better steel in the standard model (i have the xhp version, which is great). if it was possible to get lc200n, even if it wasn’t a full salt model, i would definitely buy it.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:39 pm
i love the manix 2 lw. it is in need of torx screws though. i would also prefer a better steel in the standard model (i have the xhp version, which is great). if it was possible to get lc200n, even if it wasn’t a full salt model, i would definitely buy it.
They would probably have to change the entire handle holds to go to screw construction. I have seen at least one that was drilled apart and put back together with screws but no idea what size or where they were bought. At least the pivot got screws.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Tweak the clip on the Drunken to give it a little more clearance and radius the edges or at least make them a bit smoother.

The clip does stretch out over time but I had already ordered a custom clip by that time so I turned a $400+ knife into a $500+ knife. :eek: It has replaced my Shiro as my most carried knife so all in all it's a pretty solid piece. ;)

-Turbo
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I would like to see:

Boye Dents on all backlocks without them, especially the upcoming Police LW.

More DLC...like a DLC Dfly Salt, DLC PE Delica, etc

Spine and choil jimping added to the Lil Native

More CPM-CRUWEAR

Prioritize deeper carry clip placement over lanyard holes. Looking at you Para 3. The Para 3 LW was perfect so I think they are getting the hint.

CPM-3V folders

Screw Construction on the Manix LW

More Translucent FRCP colors

A Carribean with normal Peel Ply G10 un-grooved scales, or better yet a LW

More LW models and more sprints/exclusives of the existing LW models

SE Spyderhawk Salt as a production model
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

These are the minor ‘improvements’ I usually make to my Spydies:

- thin out and refine the edge, and grind down the spine near the tip on Delicas, Enduras and my Police model.

Spyderco and Mora are the two modern knife companies which produce the best factory edges IMHO, but like all sharpening nerds, I find it satisfying to adjust an edge to my preferences.

I understand why Spyderco has had to beef up the tip area on some models to guard against prying abuse, but I like a pointy tip profile without the ‘nose hump’ and don’t have an issue using my knives properly, so snapped tips are not a problem for me.

- replace the clip with a Ti deep carry Lynch or MXG aftermarket clip.

I like the way Spyderco have intentionally not released their own deep carry clip, out of respect for the cottage industry which has sprung up making them. But like a lot of non-US afi’s I don’t want to advertise what’s in my pockets.

- replace scales in some cases with custom ones with contoured edges.

More contoured edges on slab sides is something I’d personally like to see. The knife carries ‘slimmer’ and is substantially more comfortable in extended use for me.

- chamfer and crown the spine on some models which have a full width, right angled spine.

I’d actually like to see swedges on more knives. A decent swedge thins out the spine area and creates less drag and a smoother ‘cutting feel’ when slicing through thick, binding material like heavy industrial cardboards, game meats in the field, and vegetables for food prep. This is a great feature on the Dragonfly and Gayle Bradley 1 and 2 models.

Some people will say they like a right angled spine for firesteel striking. Personally, I get great results using the jimping areas as a striker.

- also as a general improvement comment for knife and tool designers, don’t forget that nearly 10% of your customers are left handed. Spyderco are actually very good in this regard, but it never hurts to remind companies of this.

I won’t name that well known multi-tool maker who don’t have one single left handed or even ambidextrous model, despite being all about ‘clever design’.
Last edited by Cambertree on Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Tims wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:15 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:

Your prayers have already been answered mate. whilst not of the Salt line, the Endura wharncliffe is a sheepsfootish wharny
The Salt 2 Wharncliffe has a bit of a point on it. Probably it is not as much as you would like, but it is tempting me, at any rate. I'd really like to see a wharncliffe more the style of the Ken Onion designed Leek. I think it has the best of all things.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:42 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:39 pm
They would probably have to change the entire handle holds to go to screw construction. I have seen at least one that was drilled apart and put back together with screws but no idea what size or where they were bought. At least the pivot got screws.
i don’t expect it to happen. it would be nice though. you should be happy about the idea of changing the handle molds. maybe they could round it off a tad for you while they’re at it. i hope not though. i still think they’re perfect the way they are, minus the pins. :)
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Even on my two alltime favorite (of all brands), almost perfect folders I could find a tiny detail on each I'd change if I am REALLY nitpicky:

Stretch 1: Just SLIGHTLY widen the handle at the groove where the first two fingers sit (make it a tiny tad more handfilling)

Endura 4: Keep the EDGE length, but shorten the knife as a whole a bit. So partly remove the Ricasso and make the BLADE (not the edge!!) a bit shorter, shorten the handle so that it is just long enough to acommodate the blade.

Only folder that for me is a 100% perfect for what it is: Chaparral FRN. Still I'd like to see a XL version of it... ;)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82492
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:31 pm

You mean like this?

Okay, that is AWESOME lol. What model is that? Tell us a little about it?
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:22 pm
I would like to see:

A Carribean with normal Peel Ply G10 un-grooved scales, or better yet a LW
I hereby banish you to the Rancor pit!

The machined G10 on the Caribbean is one of it's best features, there is nothing on it that needs to be changed for functionality.
I'm all for having the current machined handle in a solid color, but I would never remove the machining, it's perfect.

This isn't a knife for Instagram pictures, it's for working!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson