New Police 4 and observations

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JonLeBlanc

New Police 4 and observations

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Hello all, I did what I said I needed to do and ordered a Police 4 and it came in today (I don't live far from Knifeworks, so it came quickly.) Some initial observations:

1) the blade is nice and thin, nice and HUGE, and nicely sharp out of the box, contrary to what some others have observed about theirs being not super sharp from the factory. It's popping hairs and curling the edge of sheets of paper. I can't wait to work on that edge, maybe take it down a few degrees. :cool:

2) ergos are typically great, and it certainly does carry much smaller than it looks (and indeed IS.) The G-10 is nicely done, all edges are flush and square.

3) the blade has a sort of yellowish cast to it, and there are even a few light patina spots, which doesn't bother me at all. I'm not going to force a patina, but neither am I going to try hard to prevent one from normal use. I have a feeling that will happen rather quickly!

BUT

4) there is corrosion/rust on the inside of the liners around the lock bar, which I believe I read that some of you have observed as well, and again, this is straight out of the box on the first day. It appears relatively minor, and limited to the left hand liner, but it's definitely there, and even extends to the spine of the handle in very small spots (confirmed with a loupe). This too does not necessarily bother me all that much, provided it does not grow to be out of control. Does anyone have any input/suggestions on this?

I'm sorry that I'm much too dumb to figure out the whole pic hosting thing, so I can't post pics. :( But first impressions: I'm really loving this piece, and I'm excited to put it through it's paces! Thanks in advance for any responses. :)
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Wartstein

Re: New Police 4 and observations

Post by Wartstein »

Concerning uploading pics: Here is a guidance Vivi did, it helped me a lot and posting pics that way is really easy...

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=83968
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ferider

Post by ferider »

It's common. You have 3 choices: (1) get a replacement (very likely to have the same issue), (2) live with it after wiping the inside with a froglube cloth or similar, or (3) take it apart and put it back together cleaned and lubed. If the corrosion is just black, no pitting, and the action is good and the blade centered, I would do (2), if it's pitted, and you want to adjust the action, I would do (3). Not hard to dis/re-assemble the knife, BTW. A little annoying in the end to get the action just right (flippable and centered).

I actually think it's a feature to have a knife with carbon steel liners :) Fits the tough blade very well (and you have to maintain that one anyways, pits rather easily).
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Hope you like it. It's a great knife.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:25 pm
Hope you like it. It's a great knife.
Thanks, indeed I do :o The minor corrosion issue is by no means enough for me to send it back, I can take care of that myself if need be. And in all honesty, nonstainless steels are sorta my preference anyway, so I'm prepared to deal with the implications lol
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Congratulations Jon, I’m glad to see you got one of these superb knives.

I just oil mine from time to time with a bit of Tuf-glide and the needle applicator (on the steel fittings and pivot area, not the blade) and let it migrate through, then clean out the excess and let it dry.

The blade is dried after use, and oiled with a bit of mineral oil every now and then.

After a year or so of use, and reading Vivi’s recent thread, I disassembled it and gave the liners and pivot area a light cleaning and polish with 1500, 2000, and 2500 wet’n’dry sandpaper.

If you do this, be careful not to round over the squared off edges of the liners.

The liners are presumably a 420/440 type stainless (or JIS equivalent), and I think the mild corrosion is actually a result of the liners not being fully polished on the inside. Because the parts are so tightly fitted, I think moisture can sit in the small surface striations.

As with most stainless steels of those grades, even if a bit of surface rust appears, it tends to wipe away, or disappear with a light sanding.

The black patina on the inside scales around the pivot area comes from contact with the K390 patina, I think, and also cleans off fairly easily.

I’m guessing the surface finish of the inside scales will be addressed as a CQI improvement, on later models, once Spyderco are aware of it.

After a year or so of heavy use as the second owner of this P4 (the first owner was in the tropical north of Australia):

After a bit of cleaning:

Larrin’s micrograph (from Knife Steel Nerds) of Bohler K390, austenitized at 1975 f:

Long story short - if you’re after a flawless piece of shiny pocket jewellery, or aren’t interested in doing some minor maintenance and adjustment to get the best performance out of your knives, then maybe this ain’t the model for you.

But if you want a well made, supremely capable slicer, in one of the best tool steels in modern pocket cutlery, which carries like a much smaller knife, and pushes the high performance envelope of what a tool steel folding knife is capable of, then I can’t recommend this model highly enough.

I think it’s one of Sal’s finest designs. I love mine, and it has been one of my favourite usin’ knives since the day I got it.

Jon, listening to your taste in knives and tool steels, I think you’ll love the Police 4 as well.

I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts when you’ve had a chance to use it a bit.

I use mine in the kitchen a lot.

Last edited by Cambertree on Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Yea, my grind wasn't too bad, but the blade finish was pretty rough. Knowing what k390 is all about I thought, "you poor bastards, thanks for trying".

Really great user knife, really great user steel.
sal

Post by sal »

I've been carrying the lite wt model for a while now. I designed the knife for me and my tastes. Glad to hear some of you have similar tastes. Nice job on cleaning it up, Cambertree. We probably won't make any more in G-10 once the lite wts come out.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

May sound weired, but the upcoming Police LW is by far the knife I want the most out of those I would not actually carry a lot... ;)

It looks perfect and looking at the depictions I immidiately want to get one in hand and use it. It's just that I simply don't like to carry knives that long, Endura being on the upper limit already, Stretch 1 perfect carry-length...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Baron Mind wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:37 pm
Cambertree wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:28 pm
sal wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:57 pm
Regarding the above replies:

Thanks Cambertree, it was mostly yours and Vivi's posts (and MeatMan's siiick edge haha) that really got me interested in this model, and I thought about that when I went to make this thread. And yes in fact that's exactly what my liners look like, so I'll keep the suggestions in mind.

Baron my blade finish is pretty gnarly as well, but it's ok it's a tool after all, made out of tool steel at that. Definitely not like my 52100's though. Those are so fine, so smooth... Mmm mmm mmm I could just eat it.

And wow this is the first time Sal has responded to one of my threads, I feel like I got an autograph from a celebrity. Sorry lol
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

JonLeBlanc wrote: Thanks Cambertree, it was mostly yours and Vivi's posts (and MeatMan's siiick edge haha) that really got me interested in this model, and I thought about that when I went to make this thread. And yes in fact that's exactly what my liners look like, so I'll keep the suggestions in mind.
Thanks Jon, I'll be looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts on the P4.

I appreciate all the Spydies I have, but if I was ever in a situation where I had to downsize to say, 5 indispensable models for the rest of my life, the Police 4 would absolutely be one of them.
Wartstein wrote: May sound weired, but the upcoming Police LW is by far the knife I want the most out of those I would not actually carry a lot... ;)

It looks perfect and looking at the depictions I immidiately want to get one in hand and use it. It's just that I simply don't like to carry knives that long, Endura being on the upper limit already, Stretch 1 perfect carry-length...
I hear you Wartstein! I had exactly the same thoughts as you regarding blade size before I got the P4. The Endura was already a bit longer than I like to carry and use. To be honest, the only reason I even considered the Police 4 was the K390 bladesteel.

After getting it though, it's reminded me how much easier it is to do a lot of jobs with a blade that size. I don't carry it afield that much, but I do use it constantly around the house and for yard work.

A comparison would be to using a petty knife or utility knife to do all the food prep tasks for an involved meal. It's no problem really, but step up to using a proper chefs knife and it's just on another level of speed, ease of use, control and convenience.

I'll also be keen to hear your impressions on the P4 LW when you get one.
sal wrote: I've been carrying the lite wt model for a while now. I designed the knife for me and my tastes. Glad to hear some of you have similar tastes. Nice job on cleaning it up, Cambertree. We probably won't make any more in G-10 once the lite wts come out.

sal
Thank you Sal, and thank you for putting so much thought into the design and superior materials of these wonderful knives.

I'm sorry to hear the G10 model may not be an ongoing part of the Seki lineup, but like the AEB-L Urban and 52100 Spydies, I'm just grateful that you cater to us knife knut afi's and edge junkies as much as you do!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cambertree wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:20 am
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Wartstein wrote: May sound weired, but the upcoming Police LW is by far the knife I want the most out of those I would not actually carry a lot... ;)

I hear you Wartstein! I had exactly the same thoughts as you regarding blade size before I got the P4. The Endura was already a bit longer than I like to carry and use. To be honest, the only reason I even considered the Police 4 was the K390 bladesteel.

After getting it though, it's reminded me how much easier it is to do a lot of jobs with a blade that size. I don't carry it afield that much, but I do use it constantly around the house and for yard work.

A comparison would be to using a petty knife or utility knife to do all the food prep tasks for an involved meal. It's no problem really, but step up to using a proper chefs knife and it's just on another level of speed, ease of use, control and convenience.

I'll also be keen to hear your impressions on the P4 LW when you get one.
sal wrote:
Thanks for your reply!

I guess I did not really make my point: While Endura-blade-length (but not a much shorter one!) is sufficient for all of my EDC tasks, I still LIKE even longer blades.

It's really JUST that I don't like a longer-than-Endura CLOSED package in my pocket... always rfp that is, tried rbp and iwb, but that's just not for me, though in theory it would be the better carry for really long folders.

Btw, above said is also the reason why my Mili sees almost no pocket time, despite it's great ergos.

/ I am sorry, but I don't think I'll get a Police 4 anytime soon. Have an Endela in the mail, and the next knives on my list would be the Chief (just about Endura closed length!), a Manix XL, a S30 V Shaman and a "sun and moon" Chap as soon as it will be available (might be a long time from now)... So no funds for the Police... ;)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I have this knife in my shopping cart in one online knife shop.....and I did not buy it.
I think I wait for LW version with K390.
Really the K390 is the reason that I want this knife so bad......but the price of G10 version is a bit steep for me. I really hope that we could get LW K390 version this year (maybe a perfect Christmast gift :spyder: )
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:44 am
Thanks for your reply!

I guess I did not really make my point: While Endura-blade-length (but not a much shorter one!) is sufficient for all of my EDC tasks, I still LIKE even longer blades.

It's really JUST that I don't like a longer-than-Endura CLOSED package in my pocket... always rfp that is, tried rbp and iwb, but that's just not for me, though in theory it would be the better carry for really long folders.

Btw, above said is also the reason why my Mili sees almost no pocket time, despite it's great ergos.

/ I am sorry, but I don't think I'll get a Police 4 anytime soon. Have an Endela in the mail, and the next knives on my list would be the Chief (just about Endura closed length!), a Manix XL, a S30 V Shaman and a "sun and moon" Chap as soon as it will be available (might be a long time from now)... So no funds for the Police... ;)
Thanks for the clarification Wartstein, no worries my friend.

Yes, it’s a perennial ‘problem’ with so many great designs coming out, of how to prioritise.

I’ve tried to cut down or even stop buying Spydies and other knives, as I have all my knife using needs well covered with many excellent models.

In reality, that still means I see about 5 new models a year that I can’t pass up!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cambertree wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:03 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:44 am
Thanks for your reply!

Thanks for the clarification Wartstein, no worries my friend.

Yes, it’s a perennial ‘problem’ with so many great designs coming out, of how to prioritise.

I’ve tried to cut down or even stop buying Spydies and other knives, as I have all my knife using needs well covered with many excellent models.

In reality, that still means I see about 5 new models a year that I can’t pass up!
I am "lucky" in that I am for whatever reason more rational and "sensible" when it comes to fixed blades... I have 5 or 6, that will last me a lifetime, and just feel no urge to aquire more.
That's totally different when it comes to folders, but even in that I am "lucky" for I am exclusivly interested in Spyderco. That's not even a deliberate decision, nothing wrong with other brands, but just happens to be that way in my case.
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

P4 is a great knife. Mine came extremely sharp as well. I live in a pretty dry climate so rusting is a non issue for me. Pack it everyday and use it for my job. Congrats on yours and can't wait to hear more.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Honestly, the P4 has been in and out of more of my online shopping baskets than anything, ever.

I was going to wait for the more corrosion resistant lw, but now that’s imminent, I seem to want the k390 more....
sal

Post by sal »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:20 pm
Baron Mind wrote:
Cambertree wrote:
sal wrote:

And wow this is the first time Sal has responded to one of my threads, I feel like I got an autograph from a celebrity. Sorry lol

Thanx for the kind words Jon, but I feel that i am just another member here with opinions and thoughts to share.

"Man who beat on own chest knocks self over backwards".

sal
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

sal wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:49 am
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:20 pm
Baron Mind wrote:
Cambertree wrote:
sal wrote:

Thanx for the kind words Jon, but I feel that i am just another member here with opinions and thoughts to share.

"Man who beat on own chest knocks self over backwards".

sal
Oh I didn't mean to imply you were any sort of aristocrat or whatever, but just think about that kid who recently got to meet you and take a picture, he loves knives and is clearly obsessed with Spydercos lol, and that was a very special thing for him. Same principle.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:18 am
I am "lucky" in that I am for whatever reason more rational and "sensible" when it comes to fixed blades... I have 5 or 6, that will last me a lifetime, and just feel no urge to aquire more.
That's totally different when it comes to folders, but even in that I am "lucky" for I am exclusivly interested in Spyderco. That's not even a deliberate decision, nothing wrong with other brands, but just happens to be that way in my case.
I'm the same, in that I've filled every perceived niche need for different types of camping, hiking and hunting fixed blades. Same with high end Japanese kitchen knives. I don't really look at those kinds of knives anymore, 'cos I'm well served with what I already have.

As I like learning about knife history and thinking about the evolution of cutting tools, I'll sometimes add an interesting traditional working pocketknife pattern to the collection, but I'm pretty well covered in that regard, too.

I also only consider Spyderco knives among the modern folding knife manufacturers. Part of that is based on high quality and well thought out design, but I also feel that in buying a Spydie, I'm supporting an ethic of high integrity and human decency, which is increasingly rare in the corporate world, and should be applauded.

JonLeBlanc: Sorry to veer slightly OT. While you're getting the hang of posting pics, I hope you don't mind if I sprinkle another of mine into your thread. ;) :)

The P4 getting ready to prep the ingredients for a homemade hotsauce: