Will there still be a Mid Year Supplement?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Will there still be a Mid Year Supplement?

Post by SG89 »

Sorry if this has already been explained. Will there still be a Mid Year Supplement or are the Reveals taking the place of that?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JonLeBlanc

Re: Will there still be a Mid Year Supplement?

Post by JonLeBlanc »

That's a good question, if a supplement IS still part of the plan, we would be coming up on that time pretty soon.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Is there really a need for the supplement? The Reveal gives us actual soon to be released models.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, All:

The Reveals are in fact supplements to the catalog. Rather than a single mid-year, they supplement the main catalog several times throughout the year as new product is released. Reveal #2 came out shortly before the Blade Show, so its timing was very close to the traditional mid-year. Look for Reveal #3 around the end of the third quarter or so.

Again, the purpose of the Reveal process is to reduce the time between the announcement of a new product and its actual availability. Although we are confident that it works better and is more in line with today's market expectations, new-product releases are still not an exact science. When you manufacture something for the first time, there are always unforeseen challenges that must be overcome. It always takes time to get things right.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Thanks Mike.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

Michael Janich wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:55 am
Again, the purpose of the Reveal process is to reduce the time between the announcement of a new product and its actual availability. Although we are confident that it works better and is more in line with today's market expectations, new-product releases are still not an exact science. When you manufacture something for the first time, there are always unforeseen challenges that must be overcome. It always takes time to get things right.

Is this what is happening with the Bow River??
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

T_MAC686 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:05 am
Michael Janich wrote:

As a matter of fact, yes.

Stay safe,

Mike
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

Michael Janich wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:26 am
T_MAC686 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:05 am
Michael Janich wrote:

As a matter of fact, yes.

Stay safe,

Mike

I figured that was the case, this is a highly anticipated one for me and I appreciate you taking time to comment on it. Nice to know this is still in the works, just getting the kinks ironed out! Are you able to share if the hold up is due to the manufacturing of the knife itself or the sheath?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am personally glad that the Reveal is the new deal. The old supplement gave us a lot of excitement, but also a lot of headaches waiting on knives that took forever to show up or never made it. I like this new way better. I can get excited about something and get it in a short while. I think this was smart marketing on Spyderco's part as it keeps us looking at what is in front of us and spending money on those, rather than saving up for a knife that may take a long time and never buying other knives.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050