Native Chief - Can we get a heartbeat?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
holeshot

Re: Native Chief - Can we get a heartbeat?

Post by holeshot »

rbb2 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:14 am
Just opened mine - typically excellent fit and finish. Solid lockup, no play, smooth action, blade is dead center. I love the size, it's a big knife, and it's a looker for sure.

Ditto me on that! Just got mine and I love it! Put a Short Lynch clip on and asked Lou if he liked it, seems rather noncommittal. :D
A255EF31-44C0-45C1-95D4-F3CAED40B621.jpeg
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

mayong wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:09 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:04 am
Popsickle wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:39 am
I love the police 4 design but seki quality to price isn’t for me, and I’ve had issues on my last few seki knives.
May I ask: What kind of issues did you have with Seki knives? I am (of course) not saying , that such can´t occur, I myself just never had any issues with all the FRN Seki knives I had and have, so I am courious.

Seki backlocks tend to have vertical blade play. Some of my favorite knives (Police 4, Caly 3.5, Al Mar Eagle) all have the same slight wiggle when cutting on a hard surface, e.g. a cutting board. My Endura and Delica are the same. To replicate, put the edge of the knife on the cutting board and just push down repeatedly without lifting the knife off the board. Functionally it's not a big deal but I'm insane and it really bugs me. Those knives would be faultless (in my book) were there no blade play; I love backlocks and I love the design and ergos of the Seki knives.

I just received my Chief today and I'm happy to say that the golden backlock is rock solid. Very pleased about that. I also absolutely love the blade shape. The tapered leaf really does it for me.

However, I'm really not thrilled with the overall design of the knife. Nothing to fault, it's entirely personal, but it feels clunky, especially when opening and closing the knife compared to other backlocks and of course when compared to compression locks. I don't regret the purchase but I don't see it knocking the PM2, Police, Caly 3.5, or Eagle HD out of my pocket.

Now, talk dirty to me about a Native Chief / PM2 hybrid. This has probably been covered in the 20+ pages of this thread but I'd love to see a Native Chief with liners and a compression lock.
Thanks for your reply!

You are right, Seki backlocks tend to have a tiny bit of vertical play/ lockrock. As you said, functionally that's not a problem and does not bother me at all personally.

But if you like no movement at all, Seki backlocks are probably not the best choice (though my two HAP40 FRN Seki knives have no play at all, while my VG10 models do).

And yes, the Golden backlock (I know that from the Native I had) is something else. No movement, very solid feel. I am glad that obviously now big-knife-guys, who maybe never got a Native, now can experience that lock in the Chief.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Oh yeah! Mine just arrived. Barely had a couple minutes to play with it. First impression-- definitely lives up to my expectations. I will also make some more comments later. I really hope for an LC200N Salt version with G10 handles!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

I have received mine. There are not words to express how much this design pleases me.

Thi is the Native at the perfect size and the Military with the missing back lock.

In a Month I will attempt to buy a backup. Knives have been taking too much money over the last year.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:12 pm

In a Month I will attempt to buy a backup. Knives have been taking too much money over the last year.

Why buy a backup of a production knife? :confused: Especially if you are spending too much money on knives as it is? :p Maybe wait for a fun sprint or exclusive before grabbing a second one? Or just wait until they are discontinued way down the road and load up then at the discounted price.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I am so ready to get my hands on this :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Doeswhateveraspidercan

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:07 pm

Why buy a backup of a production knife? :confused: Especially if you are spending too much money on knives as it is? :p Maybe wait for a fun sprint or exclusive before grabbing a second one? Or just wait until they are discontinued way down the road and load up then at the discounted price.
That made sense last year but as of 2019 we have seen so called production runs sell out and even if restocked like the Smock was, sell out again in very short periods of time.

What production model means in 2019 has taken on a new definition which as far as I am concerned has not solidified yet.

Doubt this? Go to any of the big boys like Blade HQ and look for an Ikuchi... all gone.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... ock--93649
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:01 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:07 pm

That made sense last year but as of 2019 we have seen so called production runs sell out and even if restocked like the Smock was, sell out again in very short periods of time.

What production model means in 2019 has taken in a new definition which as far as I am concerned has not solidified yet.

Doubt this? Go to any of the big boys like Blade HQ and look for an Ikuchi... all gone.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... ock--93649

It sounds like some of these are going through CQI. So they release the first batch, then CQI any issue or improvements. Like I'm assuming the Ikuchi is being CQI'd for the complaints of a rough flipper and the tip catching people when closed.

Think of the batches like model years for cars. The first model year of a new design usually has some issues. Then they fix them in subsequent model years. I'd rather wait and get the CQI'd version and put the original on backup duty than buy additional first releases that may have some issues or inferior parts than the later updated version.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Ah now that makes good sense!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

The factory edge on my example is fantastic. I can cut safety harness webbing easily.

imjohnsmith

Post by imjohnsmith »

:)
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

imjohnsmith wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:52 am
:)
Nice... just the lockback Native models! Looks good.
No Shaman tho, or it's with the comp lock Lil'?
imjohnsmith

Post by imjohnsmith »

lockback Lil' :)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

So far I am really loving the Chief, you can really see that is an old and very mature design. Sal and Eric did a fantastic job on this model.
The humpless design is really nice, you can use almost any grip and it will be comfortable, for example, using a choil on Chief is much more comfy as on PM2 (because of the hump).

I really hope that one day we get a sprint run..... maybe Cruwear with dark brown G10 or dark red G10, or something like 10V, K390, M4........
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
buccilli15

Post by buccilli15 »

Thoughts on this as an outdoor/camp/hiking knife? I’m sooooo close on buying one; the only thing holding me back is that tip that looks very thin.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

If you know what are the limits od folding knife, then yes. For your general cutting tasks it is a good choice.
The tip is not really any more delicate then on my PM2. If you are really worried about the tip, you can still reprofilled it and make it more robust.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Ok make the S110V with blurple scales, that would look sweeeeeeeet!
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

In all seriousness, what is the likelihood of sprint runs?
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Pelagic wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:19 pm
My guess is the standard refrain... 'It depends on sales of the base model.'

The black S30v version is awesome, buy one! Love mine. Will buy sprint or exclusive depending on what develops.

Exclusives might be more likely?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Pelagic wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:19 pm
I imagine Spyderco’s hope is to gather interest among the likes of us for dealer/distributor exclusives, then maybe sprint runs will follow. I worry the dribs-and-drabs appearance of the model has taken some wind out of the sail.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”