Where is the Urban Coyote?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Where is the Urban Coyote?

Post by sal »

Hi Mugwump,

Welcome to our forum.

Hey Moose,

You are much of the reason for this model.

sal
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Mine has also just arrived, and with some lack of refinement. Sprints do sometimes fall short of Spyderco’s production standards.

A bit of work with 600-grit sandpaper—sharply-folded for the thumb-jimping and loosely-rounded for the overly-sharp Spydiehole—has yielded satisfying results.

Compared to my K390 and Elmax versions, this one’s closed blade is proud, but not so proud that the point is a danger. Still, I’m open to advice on how to get the blade lower when closed...

Whatever, I’m glad of the chance to see what AEB-L can do.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

wrdwrght wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:47 pm
Mine has also just arrived, and with some lack of refinement. Sprints do sometimes fall short of Spyderco’s production standards.

A bit of work with 600-grit sandpaper—sharply-folded for the thumb-jimping and loosely-rounded for the overly-sharp Spydiehole—has yielded satisfying results.

Compared to my K390 and Elmax versions, this one’s closed blade is proud, but not so proud that the point is a danger. Still, I’m open to advice on how to get the blade lower when closed...

Whatever, I’m glad of the chance to see what AEB-L can do.
You can take down the kick just a frog hair.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I am still stoked over this knife and seeing everyone else getting theirs is killing me. Mine is still circumnavigating the globe.

The color is very nice from the pictures and I can't wait to test out Spyderco's heat treated steel. I have other knives in this steel and they perform pretty well...they bend or roll, but never chip.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:57 pm
You can take down the kick just a frog hair.
Thanks, Doc.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Reading Larrin’s article on aeb-l, I wonder whether the blanks for this model were die formed rather than laser / water cut.

That could account for the less precise jimping etc. and is one of the stated manufacturing advantages of this steel.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:09 am
Reading Larrin’s article on aeb-l, I wonder whether the blanks for this model were die formed rather than laser / water cut.

That could account for the less precise jimping etc. and is one of the stated manufacturing advantages of this steel.
There is an interesting question. How can we find out?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Mine have some of the issues described here, burr in the hole, back of the tang is proud of the back-spring

K390 didn't have these and I don't understand the downgrade, but overall not too bad

Danvp

Post by Danvp »

3 Urbans. The K390 is fairly new also. Hasn’t seen any use yet. No patina.
I am trying to experience the difference between AEB-L and N690co. Same dps, same finish, same geometry. Curious which steel will meet my demands better.

Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Danvp wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:52 pm
3 Urbans. The K390 is fairly new also. Hasn’t seen any use yet. No patina.
I am trying to experience the difference between AEB-L and N690co. Same dps, same finish, same geometry. Curious which steel will meet my demands better.

K390 is not bad at patinating. It turns gold when it does. I love this steel.

AEB-l is a good user steel. My knife is at customs so I should have it in a day or two and then I can try out Spydercos treatment.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Mine should be here tuesday too.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

Here are some comparisons with the original Seki-made Urban, in Foliage Green G10 and VG10.

Top to bottom, FRN K390, FG G10 VG10, Coyote brown FRN AEB-L:

Interestingly, the G10 Urban has the same "mid-deployed" angle as the new FRN/Coyote brown:

Seen here with the CB FRN atop the G10 version; note the congruence. The K390 version sstops at a more obtuse angle:

Note the plunge-line difference (I prefer that of the AEB-L version). Note also differences in pivot and clip, and laser engraved vs. stamped markings:

Note the differences here, L-R K390, AEB-L, VG10:
(btw that is grunge not rust in the VG10 on the right, sorry)

I meant to grab also the Wharncliffe orange G10 Urban, but mistakenly grabbed the orange FRN UKPK rescue, so here's another Urban-UKPK comparison:

(old pic of the wharnie, also the BBF Elmax. I should dredge them out especially the BBF, for more thorought comparison..):

While I am looking forward to putting the CB FRN AEB-L through its paces, I'm reminded of how well the G10 Urban does its job. Carries unobtrusively yet handily for deployment, cuts well with a variety of materials and EDC applications, and meets the legal carry restrictions I often encounter.

And it is VG10. What's not to like about VG10? May not be super, but it is dandy. Quiet and unassuming, gets the job done, like an old Toyota 22R engine.

good luck,
Nick
ShaneInDenver

Post by ShaneInDenver »

So when do the cut tests begin? Toothy or polished edge? How extreme of an angle can you go with this steel? I'm excited for people to start playing!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

ShaneInDenver wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:27 pm
So when do the cut tests begin? Toothy or polished edge? How extreme of an angle can you go with this steel? I'm excited for people to start playing!
I've just touched mine up on the Sharpmaker using the 40 degree settings. Spent some time with the ultra fine stones and it's surprisingly toothy...but polished as well. My 52100 Manix is also pretty toothy. Seems to be what this steel likes.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

When I get a “round tuit” I’ll reprofile mine to 15dps. In the meantime I’ll just touch up on the white stones and/or strop.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

jpm2 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:08 pm
attila wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:01 pm
I received mine today, and both of them are quite disappointing in the fit-n-finish dept. One of them had excessive buffing of the FRN, removing the nice radius in 2 places and causing FRN burrs, the other has blemishes on the blade from the factory, both have poorly cut jimping (looks like galling), both have thicker-than-necessary edge grinds, and both have nearly exposed tips when closed.

I understand that it's mostly form, not function that was screwed up. Therefore, on a Sprint run, these aren't quite fatal flaws. I expected far better from Maniago, however, since my K390 Urban and P.I.T.S. had no fit-n-finish issues besides being a tad off center.

I hope everyone else gets excellent examples that they can be proud of.
Got mine today and same thing, took 30 minutes to fix. It's a $65 knife, no big deal to me.
Figger it was over compensation for previous blades contacting the back spacer/spring.
There are a few differences in this one and the k390.
I'll post picks of everything in a couple weeks.
posted here. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84143&p=1337979#p1337979
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

For anyone that likes to maintain a pristine, prissy blade...I don't reccomend using this knife much. I've carried it at work the past few days, cutting package tape, a bit of cardboard and some plastic strapping. These are the results...no better than a laminated blade.

I like the size and feel of this knife, but with all these small issues we've found, even prior to actual use, for a sprint run model...granted at a pretty low price...this knife is a bit of a flop imo. Could have been much better with a little more attention to detail.
wNotWssh.jpg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Joey

Post by Joey »

Wow, just checking this thread after not viewing it for a while. I didn’t realize, mine has a lot of similar issues happening. Mine also has 2 large burrs in the thumbhole, and a rough spine grind (might as well mention it all: nearly exposed tip when closed/horribly cut jimping/multiple bevel angles throughout). That’s too bad!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I could fix all of the minor issues with this knife. I don’t plan to; I’ll sharpen it and use it. Guys, this knife is an opportunity to try the steel. We already knew this steel was gonna have lower abrasion resistance than many of the recent sprints, so scratches shouldn’t be a surprise.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:42 am
I could fix all of the minor issues with this knife. I don’t plan to; I’ll sharpen it and use it. Guys, this knife is an opportunity to try the steel. We already knew this steel was gonna have lower abrasion resistance than many of the recent sprints, so scratches shouldn’t be a surprise.
That is what we want, a real world knife we can actually use daily and test steels. Most of these fit and finish issues are easily remedied, and I am sure Spyderco will be in contact with the factory about all of these things, as well.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050