Native Chief first and ongoing impressions thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Re: Native Chief first and ongoing impressions thread

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The Native Family
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:38 pm
The Native Family
Very nice family.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Almost forgot, here's a spine thickness comparison to go along with the pic I posted yesterday.

L to R Police4, Chief, Shaman

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:38 pm
The Native Family
I think the Chief and Shaman are so complementary. They make for a great set of similarities and differences.

Don't you think? The whole family is great tho.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Hate to say it, but that (completely awesome) family pic really illustrates some of the issues I don’t like about the Shaman. And I say this as a huge lover of the Native 5 (I believe I own every single variant including the uber rare tan Operation Inherent Resolve). To me, the Shaman lines simply don’t flow properly, most notably that huge hump of blade that sticks out by the pivot when it’s closed. I am immensely relieved that this is not the situation with the Chief, as its lines are far more graceful and match those of the Native 5. I understand the Shaman belongs in the “family” but it’s the poor country cousin in my book compared to the other sleek family members. Even the clip is odd to me. I’m not writing this to enflame an argument about this situation, it is what it is. I’ve tried purchasing the Shaman on two occasions now and they just end up getting sold off. My CC Chief is inbound to me and will arrive early next week (I’ve been out of town for what feels like forever), and it will immediately be updated with a Lynch deep carry clip and I’m positive it will be a regular member of my carry rotation - there are just so many great aspects of it and as a longer term member of this forum, I’ve been waiting very patiently for it. The most time I spent during my recent visit to the SFO was staring at the Native display case and the now 20-year old Chief prototype inside it, so it will likely be a somewhat emotional unboxing.

I would also be extremely interested in seeing a comp lock version of the N5, and while Sal claims to have little interest in producing one, to me it must come to be at some point, and be a far more elegant knife than the Para 3. The existence of the comp lock Lil Native is almost a slap in the face to its bigger brother. Backlock and comp lock versions of the lil guy exist, and sort of the same thing applies to the Shaman and Chief (but again to me, one is clearly superior in its execution). I would also love to eventually see a comp lock Chief (in due time), and there BETTER be additional versions of the Chief coming in Micarta/Cruwear and CF/S90V, etc. I understand the following the Shaman commands but to this long-time collector and heavy user (yes I use my knives quite a bit on a daily basis, that’s why I carry them - I’m on IG yes but to say I post just for pretty pics is way off base), it just has too many things “off” about it. It looks like the old Paramilitary 1 to me, before they fixed that ugly hump and cleaned up the lines so well. And I’m jealous it has received the 3D contoured scale treatment and the Chief didn’t, but that just makes the latter match the N5 perfectly in form.

Just my two cents stuck in a hotel room unable to sleep at 1:30 AM. Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Thanks, Radioactive. Appreciate your input and will be curious to see hear your thoughts once it's in-hand. I had started writing a post a couple weeks ago about the exposed tang on the Shaman and how i had come to peace with it-- i never posted that one, but maybe i'll rewrite it. It was about tradeoffs and what we will accept? In order to gain what? I am happy to have a humpless Spydie that rivals the Stretch 2's ergonomics for me-- exposed tang and all.

Curious if you have knife attributes that you sometimes think of as tradeoffs? Also hopefully you're already asleep. ZZZZ. Cheers, Enactive
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Aesthetically I can see what you mean about the Shaman differing from the others. It remains my favorite of the lot though. I wouldn't like the blade or handle altered to be more like the others. I like that wide heavy blade and the handle is my favorite of any spyderco. I like how the edge is well below the handle when open too. I wasn't sure I'd like it before I got one, but then it just felt right. I suppose my fondness of the look comes from knowing the function.

As to Enactive's comment the Chief is complimentary to the Shaman in the sense that the Shaman is a heavy stout blade and the Chief is long and thin. For all their similarities they are quite different.

VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Carved up some dried hickory handle. Torqued the edge out a few times and did a few chest lever cuts. No play has developed and the edge didn't deform. Still pretty comfortable in the hand through all of it. The G10 seems strong enough for my use.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:22 pm
Hate to say it, but that (completely awesome) family pic really illustrates some of the issues I don’t like about the Shaman. And I say this as a huge lover of the Native 5 (I believe I own every single variant including the uber rare tan Operation Inherent Resolve). To me, the Shaman lines simply don’t flow properly, most notably that huge hump of blade that sticks out by the pivot when it’s closed. ...
I know what you mean, Endura and Delica have that too in a way (compared to the "smoother" flowing lines in the pivot area of for example a Stretch when closed).
I personally don´t mind that at all, and especially on the Shaman it looks even quite good for my eyes. It somehow matches that more rough, hardwork and hard use, more "tool" than "gents folder" no nonsense style of the knife imho.

That´s also the reason why I am not really interested in the CF Shaman. Though I know CF is tough and functionally totally fine, for me personally it has that more "fancy", delicate, gents-folder ring to it, which does not fit the Shaman well. Rough Micarta on the other hand would be perfect...

/ But back to the Chief: This one is just perfect looking designwise, as far as I can tell from videos and depictions... Always wanted a Shaman, but now I´ll get a Chief first for sure...

I´ve said it before, but what amazes me in the Chief: Though it features a generous choil, it has still a slightly better edge-to-handle ratio than an Endura, while being quite similar in size overall (Closed lenght: Chief: 12,9mm, Endura: 12,7; Edge: Chief 91mm, Endura 88); plus the Chief is probably even slimmer in the pocket than an Endura... my kind of knife, in other words... :D
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VashHash wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:03 am
Carved up some dried hickory handle. Torqued the edge out a few times and did a few chest lever cuts. No play has developed and the edge didn't deform. Still pretty comfortable in the hand through all of it. The G10 seems strong enough for my use.

Good to "hear"! Though I was sure anyway, that the linerless G10 must be plenty strong enough. Especially with all that solid metal along the back of the handle! (Which maybe offers even more rigidity in a way than a linered, but open construction G10 knife??? Don´t know, but could be)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:15 am
VashHash wrote:

Good to "hear"! Though I was sure anyway, that the linerless G10 must be plenty strong enough. Especially with all that solid metal along the back of the handle! (Which maybe offers even more rigidity in a way than a linered, but open construction G10 knife??? Don´t know, but could be)
My main concern would be the pivot area. Nothing but G10 to support it. I don't plan on chopping with it so impacts don't worry me. Just wanted to put some lateral force on it in a realistic way. I don't pry with my knives but I've twisted out of cuts before.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VashHash wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:36 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:15 am
VashHash wrote:

My main concern would be the pivot area. Nothing but G10 to support it. ...
That´s true - never thought about it that way. Though I´ve never heard of any problems concerning that with for example Manix backlock or Native 5 (the current, linerless version) - both linerless G10.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Dang it! No knife today, seems like I have to wait for next week........But she will be mine SOONTM
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Chief stands up well to an imperial IPA
IMAG2990.jpg
Happy Friday, Y'all!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Enactive wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:06 pm
It balances pretty well on my finger too

Enactive

Post by Enactive »

VashHash wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:18 pm
Enactive wrote:
It balances pretty well on my finger too
Ha! Nice!
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Yes, its here!
Its big, light, sharp as ..... and mean. Backlock is nice and smooth to operate.
Big folders are not for everyone, but I think this is a hit.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Enactive wrote:
IMAG2990.jpg
Happy Friday, Y'all!
Sorry to derail, but I just have to ask where you are from Enactive? I grew up in Moxee right down the road from Bale Breaker, and was actually visiting my parents last week and stopped by Bale Breaker.

The Chief will be mine as soon as I have the funds. This knife looks perfect in my eyes.
Josh
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

murphjd25 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:02 pm
Enactive wrote:
IMAG2990.jpg
Happy Friday, Y'all!
Sorry to derail, but I just have to ask where you are from Enactive? I grew up in Moxee right down the road from Bale Breaker, and was actually visiting my parents last week and stopped by Bale Breaker.

The Chief will be mine as soon as I have the funds. This knife looks perfect in my eyes.
Nice, Josh! Bale Breaker makes some good stuff. In any case i am in Seattle. The Chief is indeed awesome.... keep your eyes peeled for my next post RE: Seattle.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Enactive wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:38 pm
murphjd25 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:02 pm
Enactive wrote:
IMAG2990.jpg
Happy Friday, Y'all!

Nice, Josh! Bale Breaker makes some good stuff. In any case i am in Seattle. The Chief is indeed awesome.... keep your eyes peeled for my next post RE: Seattle.
Nice I will keep my eyes peeled, I am in Gold Bar nowadays.
Josh