Endela-thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Endela-thread

Post by Doc Dan »

Thanks for those pictures. That helps tremendously. The more I look, the more I like the Endela. I really need to get one of these in hand and see if the handle changes have made a real difference.

What I am hoping for is that the Endela will fix the issues I have with the Paramilitary 2, a knife I otherwise would love. I love the blade on the P2, and nothing else has this blade (well the Millie). A good point and that sweeping belly are just too good. However, the handle of the P2 is cramped for my hand and though it has a good lock, it is not my favorite. The Endura, on the other hand, has plenty of real estate on the handle, but the finger bumps, ridges, are in the wrong place and not comfortable unless I modify them. Also, the blade shape is not as good as the Millie or the P2, but I like the lock better.

I have high hopes for this knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Reject wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:08 pm
A size comparison with the Endura, Delica, Dragonfly and seeing that there will be a FRN Police coming out soon; the Police.
Since you kindly posted the comparison pics and obviously have Endura, Delica, Endela available, may I ask you:

When looking at the specs on the Spyderco- page, Endura and Delica have an EDGE that is (only) 8 mm shorter than the actual BLADE.
The Endelas edge on the other hand, going by Spydercos homepage, has an EDGE that is 11mm shorter than the actual bladelength...

Can you confirm this when looking at your knives? Does the Endela have a longer Ricasso (unsharpened part of the blade) than Endura and Delica ?
I´d actually hope that this is NOT the case and the Endela is offering in fact 3mm MORE edge than is stated on Spydercos homepage...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Great photos reject. Now I'm nostalgic for my Police 3!
:unicorn
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

The ricasso on the Endela is indeed 11mm. However, the 2019 product guide does not show the ricasso on the Delica and Endura to be 8mm, but rather 9mm and 10mm respectively, and 11mm for the ZDP-189 Endura. I really don't think you will notice the difference.
sal

Post by sal »

Great shots Reject. Thanx.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

dsvirsky wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:27 pm
The ricasso on the Endela is indeed 11mm. However, the 2019 product guide does not show the ricasso on the Delica and Endura to be 8mm, but rather 9mm and 10mm respectively, and 11mm for the ZDP-189 Endura. I really don't think you will notice the difference.
Thanks, and of course you're right: No one will be able to feel the difference between a 10mm and an 11 mm Ricasso in real life... ;)

You know, generally speaking that's just the point where I am a bit "nerdy" ;). Much like others want a specific depth of a choil or a certain pattern on FRN : I just like to get a lot of edge for the closed length I carry, generally I prefer the edge being between 8 and 9 cm, and I like my hand close to the edge in a regular grip.

So if a blade has an 8 mm Ricasso (Endura, Delica, stated on Spydercos hp) or an 11mm Ricasso (Endela) would make a (slight) difference for me. But the latter would be in no way a deal breaker of course, and I know already that I will love my Endela SE, which should be delivered today or tomorrow... :)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Dgregory0118

Post by Dgregory0118 »

I just received my new Endela, and it is exactly what I was hoping for! Got a dozen or so Spyderco's, and I think the Endela is the perfect one for me to collect. Does anyone have a good source (email list/newsletter/forum), so that I can make sure to be kept up to speed on when new ones are coming.
(Dif blade steels, sprint runs, etc) I know they are brand new, but hoping someone has some good info to help me out. BTW, this is my first time posting anything on any forum, so I'm obviously super stoked about this Endela! Lol
Thanks in advance,
David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Dgregory0118 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:15 pm
I just received my new Endela, and it is exactly what I was hoping for! Got a dozen or so Spyderco's, and I think the Endela is the perfect one for me to collect. Does anyone have a good source (email list/newsletter/forum), so that I can make sure to be kept up to speed on when new ones are coming.
(Dif blade steels, sprint runs, etc) I know they are brand new, but hoping someone has some good info to help me out. BTW, this is my first time posting anything on any forum, so I'm obviously super stoked about this Endela! Lol
Thanks in advance,
David
Welcome to the forum (I am aware of that you signed up some time ago, but the Endela made you actually POST for the first time, right?? :D )

Can't wait for my Endela, should arrive very soon.

/ I'd say, just follow what's posted on the forum and Spydercos "reveal", maybe the new Spyderco-app (just look at the Spyderco homepage) would be a good idea too (I did not look into what that app can do yet).
Dgregory0118

Post by Dgregory0118 »

I appreciate the advice, and yes, I signed up a long time ago. (I had forgotten about it honestly)
I think you'll be happy when you get your Endela, it has been exactly what I've been waiting for.
Thanks!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Dgregory0118 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:12 am
I appreciate the advice, and yes, I signed up a long time ago. (I had forgotten about it honestly)
I think you'll be happy when you get your Endela, it has been exactly what I've been waiting for.
Thanks!
Thanks also! Really can´t wait, I´m somewhat disappointed that my Endela still did not arrive today.... :(

/ Hopefully we´ll chat again and you´ll post more in the future! :)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Dgregory,

I guess I should welcome you to our forum. Don't remember if I've welcomed you before.

sal
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Just got my Endela from kw - badass!

:)
tjsblade

Post by tjsblade »

I went to my local knife store today as I saw they got stock on the Endela a week or so back. Went in with the full intentions of coming home with one but I left empty handed.
I just couldn't fall in love with it. Can't say exactly why. Didnt feel right in my hands. I will say it was typical Seki outstanding fit and finish.
Nice blade. Just not for me.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

tjsblade wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:36 pm
I went to my local knife store today as I saw they got stock on the Endela a week or so back. Went in with the full intentions of coming home with one but I left empty handed.
I just couldn't fall in love with it. Can't say exactly why. Didnt feel right in my hands. I will say it was typical Seki outstanding fit and finish.
But you DO like Endura and/or Delica? Or is it just that the whole Endura-family generally is not for you?
tjsblade

Post by tjsblade »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:46 pm
tjsblade wrote:
But you DO like Endura and/or Delica? Or is it just that the whole Endura-family generally is not for you?
Never had an Endura. I like the Delica model. Own about 4 of them. For the past couple of years they haven't seen as much pocket time. I've really been carrying the Para 3 line a lot but anytime I gift someone a knife, it is always a new Delica.
My hand is probably smaller than average. Maybe that is why it just didn't feel right for me.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

tjsblade wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:58 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:46 pm
tjsblade wrote:
Never had an Endura. I like the Delica model. Own about 4 of them. For the past couple of years they haven't seen as much pocket time. I've really been carrying the Para 3 line a lot but anytime I gift someone a knife, it is always a new Delica.
My hand is probably smaller than average. Maybe that is why it just didn't feel right for me.
Thanks for the reply.

My Endela still has not been delivered yet, but just from the depictions it's clearly closer to an Endura overall than to a Delica. Handle-height and circumference seem to be about the same on Endura and Endela, the latter just being a bit shorter, while the Delica is slimmer overall.

Endela seems to be more like a just-shortened Endura, but fully blown up Delica.

So it might very well be that if someone with smaller hands who likes the Delica-ergos not necessarely likes the Endura and Endela either.

Though as mentioned in another thread, the Endela has the "points" between the finger placements smoothed out and less pronounced compared to both Delica and Endura.

/ Great gift, the Delica!! And I personally would clearly prefer it over the Para 3.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Hands are funny things. I have big hands but find the Delica a great, but tight, fit. The Endura needs some small mods to the handle for it to work for me because of those points/bumps. The Native is another knife I want to love, and it is okay, but a bit small in my hand, but the trimmer Delica works. My hand swallows my Military but feels great. The Paramilitary is too tight, but the Manix 2 fits okay (and they have the same grip area length). It comes down to shape, the rise of the front guard and the rise of the heel/pommel guard are very important factors in how comfortable a knife is to me.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:18 pm
Hands are funny things. I have big hands but find the Delica a great, but tight, fit. The Endura needs some small mods to the handle for it to work for me because of those points/bumps. The Native is another knife I want to love, and it is okay, but a bit small in my hand, but the trimmer Delica works. My hand swallows my Military but feels great. The Paramilitary is too tight, but the Manix 2 fits okay (and they have the same grip area length). It comes down to shape, the rise of the front guard and the rise of the heel/pommel guard are very important factors in how comfortable a knife is to me.
You are totally right on "hands are funny things"... ;)

Mine are L to XL, I happen to like both the fit of Delica and Endura, but not the Natives. Chaparral on the other hand fits great (index finger in the choil of course), PM2 barely but still fits, just 1 mm shorter grip area and it would be too tight...

I would be really surprised if the Endela would NOT have perfect ergos for me.. I'll find out soon, it's on its way...
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

I have delicas and enduras that fit my hand, and the endela is no exception. Wear medium Mechanix and Wells Lamont.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

z4vdBt wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:39 am
I have delicas and enduras that fit my hand, and the endela is no exception. Wear medium Mechanix and Wells Lamont.
And do you notice in use that the handle of the Endela is a bit smoothed out compared to Endura/ Delica? (Less pronounced "points" between the finger placements?)