Why Do People Hate Knives?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Why Do People Hate Knives?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Folks like what they like and dislike what they dislike. If someone told me they disliked knives I wouldn't be too shocked.

However, someone once told me that they didn't like ice cream. I'll tell you what, there are two types of people in this world, those who like ice cream and people who I do not trust. :eek: :p :cool:
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:39 pm
Folks like what they like and dislike what they dislike. If someone told me they disliked knives I wouldn't be too shocked.

However, someone once told me that they didn't like ice cream. I'll tell you what, there are two types of people in this world, those who like ice cream and people who I do not trust. :eek: :p :cool:

Not like ice cream? :eek:

Kinda like people who don't like dogs.... ;)

Don't trust either type. ;)
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:39 pm

Yep- when these type of questions come up it's important to remember there are people who don't like pizza for pities sake.

Being 'into' knives as a hobby is like every hobby.....It's a niche interest that has lit a fire in you that simply doesn't in others.

We could ask why people aren't into model aircraft, fossil hunting, lego building, watercolour painting and so on......and the answer would be much the same.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Great points. Ankerson and others, I also understand what you mean about "knife people" who give a bad image to knives by their words and behavior. For example, you see knives with names like "Ninja Killer" and "Zombie Chopper", and how they are marketed as deadly weapons, rather than a knife like, say, the Spyderco Delica or Atlantic Salt.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:25 pm
Great points. Ankerson and others, I also understand what you mean about "knife people" who give a bad image to knives by their words and behavior. For example, you see knives with names like "Ninja Killer" and "Zombie Chopper", and how they are marketed as deadly weapons, rather than a knife like, say, the Spyderco Delica or Atlantic Salt.

Yeah, with guns it can be different depending however, all depends on what they are or what they will be used for.

Some are better than others at certain things like home defense. ;)

So one wouldn't take a 30" barreled shotgun and use it for that, I would hope not anyway. :D
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

brick wrote:
Sun May 10, 2015 4:57 pm
Honestly, I think it's a symptom of a much bigger societal problem: we fear each other. I can understand not blindly trusting a total stranger since there are plenty of good reasons not to do that. But I think a huge number of people (who have likely been watching WAAAY too much TV) walk around expecting the next random guy on the street to victimize them. Sure it can happen but odds are staggeringly against it. (Just divide the number of people who have tried to murder you by the number of people you have encountered over the course of your life.) But that doesn't stop people from being afraid. And if you are already afraid then it's not a big leap to take the cue from today's mass entertainment outlets that a pocket knife is a weapon.

Several weeks back my own wife saw me walking out the door with an uncut grapefruit and asked me how the **** I was going to eat it at work. I un-pocketed my completely legal and work-compliant Urban and said "very easily." Her first reaction was "You can take that to work? You could murder someone with that!" It was an early-AM pre-coffee zero-thought gut reaction but it shows how deeply ingrained these things can be. This is someone who is well used to my carrying a knife for 100% utilitarian purposes. (It took her about three seconds to figure out why her comment didn't make the slightest bit of sense.)
It depends on where you live. I lived in the belly of the beast on the South Side of Chicago. I or my property was assaulted at least once a month.

YES YOU READ THAT RIGHT.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
James Y

Post by James Y »

TBH, I don't know if most people actually 'hate' knives so much as mostly not even think or care about them at all, then wondering why someone would actually carry a sharp blade in their pocket when they could just use their keys, fingernails or teeth, or grab a (hopefully nearby) pair of scissors, like they do. Then they might assume that if you carry something sharp, it must be for no good purpose, because "Nobody needs to go around carrying a knife."

Jim
SpyderEdgeForever

James, and Naperville, and anyone else: Do you think if someone carries a fixed blade that looks "exotic" and "weird" but has practical cutting power, such as a "recurve tanto" blade that is black-coated but can be used for everyday carry cutting chores, that "freaks people out" and scares people, or not, depending on the situation?
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:34 pm
James, and Naperville, and anyone else: Do you think if someone carries a fixed blade that looks "exotic" and "weird" but has practical cutting power, such as a "recurve tanto" blade that is black-coated but can be used for everyday carry cutting chores, that "freaks people out" and scares people, or not, depending on the situation?
In my current location, it's pretty conservative, and solid middle class. I moved out of Chicago. Chicago is not too rough and tumble for me, although you do have your head on a swivel, I just don't like getting arrested for defending myself.

I honestly do not know about the knife issue. You did not say how long the blade was. I've always found knives utilitarian, not a tool to menace anyone. I'm pretty Libertarian as far as knives and firearms go....to each his own.

I carry one to three knives all of the time, mostly folders, sometimes a fixed blade, but I wear shirts that hide that fact.

When I carry a fixed blade, I wear a very loose Hawaiian shirt and I carry it horizontally on my belt. It might imprint once in a while, but I doubt it. If I'm carrying something over 3 inches (fixed blade), it is probably Winter and I wear a heavy coat.

I never like to argue with anyone in real life. If somebody tried to start an argument with me over a knife, I'm likely to just walk away and act like I don't know what they are on about. What can you do. I'll play dumb unless physically attacked. Crime rarely happens where I am currently at. Chicago is a whole 'nother story.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
SpyderEdgeForever

Naperville, I hope what I am about to type does not offend people because I am sure you and I would be on the same page with this, it is not a statement that is a "blanket statement" against whole groups of people. And it is sad that this is the situation in the world we live in, but: There are some individuals who have abused the freedoms and honors and privileges they were given and it makes life more difficult for the rest of us, people like yourself and myself, who are not out to harm/assault/make trouble for others.

Three examples:

1 An evil monster of a man went and used a semi-automatic handgun to murder people. Laws are passed that ban the handgun instead of punishing the evildoer/s who commit such sickening acts.

2 A town or a store put benches out for visitors, tourists, and residents and their families to relax/sit on to enjoy the area. What happens? Aggressive vagrants and rebellious panhandlers camp out on the benches, while substance abusers like alcoholics pass out on them, urinate and defecate on them and in the surrounding area, and harass people. Now the town or store has to either let that go on, or, remove the benches or make it harder for people to use them.

3 Terrorist maniacs use edged tools to murder people on airplanes, and laws are passed banning all passengers from carrying even a nail clipper or pocket knife onboard.

Would you and most likely others agree with me that the above situations are very grievous and it is painful and sad that this is what has happened in society?

Why must the decent suffer because of what the evil and abusive have done/do?

demoncase my friend, someone told me of a situation in the UK where there was a town or part of a city, perhaps London, where an aggressive alcoholic vagrant had basically claimed a public bench as his own and he would snarl and growl at passerbys and would even go up to people demanding money allegedly for "food" when in truth it was for the booze, and he even physically attacked people at times and would spit at people, cuss at them, all sorts of things. Possibly dangerously mentally ill. This type of thing is repeated world wide at least in the Western world. I don't know if it goes on in Eastern countries like Asia? The same person told me that if someone in Taiwan or China tried that they would soon find themselves tazed or worse by the local authorities or local residents. Is that likely true?
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

ALL SYSTEMS HAVE ENTROPY. I'm not sure how you control it. Maybe entropy system-wide is out of control in the US. It seems to me that some people like to conserve what we have or return it to what we had 50 years ago (with some logic of course) while others want to progress the US to the "next phase" whatever that may be.

I'll be moving to a more conservative state within the next 5 to 10 years to escape Illinois. I do not prefer to see things go as they are. I am not fan of progressive issues/topics.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

When I was a teenager, in the early 1980s, most all of the boys packed Buck 110s or similar knives on their belts. I forgot my pocket knife at home, and a teacher told me he didn't ever want to catch me without a knife again. I don't know when things changed, but it's a sad state of affairs.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:23 pm

I'll be moving to a more conservative state within the next 5 to 10 years to escape Illinois. I do not prefer to see things go as they are. I am not fan of progressive issues/topics.

Absolutely agree, I avoid those topics at all costs, I don't care at all about them period and don't want to hear about them at all.

I see a lot of people are moving towards those states as time goes on.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

So much of modern life is so sanitised for many people, perhaps they never do anything with a knife more than butter bread? They just don’t see the need for a blade in *their* lives and simply cannot conceive that any one else does.

Heck, I’m pretty sure many people have such processed diets they don’t even need their teeth...
vivi

Post by vivi »

Nope.

I've heard horror stories about "sheeple" for decades now and I have never run into that sort of thing. I sit at work and read folks posts here about how they're afraid their delica is too big to carry at their job while I eat an apple I just sliced up with a Police. I've open carried fixed blades and guns numerous times in multiple states without issue.

I only know one or two folks in person that are into knives, but I have never met someone afraid of them.

Come to think of it I've never even had someone ask me why I carry a knife. It's generally self evident, as most folks only notice it when I have it out to cut something that obviously needed cut.
:unicorn
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

You may be into something Vivi. I can't honestly say I've met someone who is afraid of my knives, but quite a number of people who aren't packing one and need one. Just my experience now that you mention it....
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
vivi

Post by vivi »

bearrowland wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:14 am
You may be into something Vivi. I can't honestly say I've met someone who is afraid of my knives, but quite a number of people who aren't packing one and need one. Just my experience now that you mention it....
I'm not calling anyone here a liar, or calling out anyone in particular, but over the years I've wondered if the problem is the "sheeple" (I don't like that term but it conveys the message) or the knife owners?

Do these people flick open their knives, drawing attention to themselves?

Do these people dress like tacticool mall ninjas?

Do these folks wear thin blue line shirts, maga hats, have NRA stickers and other political stuff on their vehicle?

Do these people pull out their knives when things don't need cut? In the which Spyderco is in your pocket thread I see a lot of photos where people pulled their knife out in a public cafe or similar to take the shot. I'd never pull my knife out in a restaurant to take a photo like that.

Do they talk about imaginary self defense scenarios and talk about what they'd do in those situations, around people that might not care to hear about it?

Do you ever jokingly make stabbing motions with your knife?

Is your first reaction when seeing a knife is how "you could really f someone up with that!"

Do you perpetually view yourself as a victim in a world progressing towards a view that does not align with yours, feeling persecuted by the global system that does not share your values?

Or do you conduct yourself like James Y and myself?

I have seen all of this and more with friends and people on knife forums. I have not ever encountered a real life "sheeple."

You have every right to wear tactical clothing and a maga hat and open carry two glocks while EDCing the biggest, gnarliest looking knives you can. But it will give folks a certain perception of you.

Obviously there's places like Chicago, or the UK, where things are a bit different, but in the majority of the USA I'm inclined to think most folks that have had a negative experience in this context may have been able to do something to draw less attention to themselves.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:06 am
Nope.

I've heard horror stories about "sheeple" for decades now and I have never run into that sort of thing. I sit at work and read folks posts here about how they're afraid their delica is too big to carry at their job while I eat an apple I just sliced up with a Police. I've open carried fixed blades and guns numerous times in multiple states without issue.

I only know one or two folks in person that are into knives, but I have never met someone afraid of them.

Come to think of it I've never even had someone ask me why I carry a knife. It's generally self evident, as most folks only notice it when I have it out to cut something that obviously needed cut.

People do have to really watch it these days depending on were they live. It does vary a lot even in the same state and or town.

I don't worry too much about pocket knives, but wouldn't even think about a fixed blade in some places.

Some areas are whacked out more than others obviously, there are a lot of whack jobs walking around these days, and more all the time.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:50 am
Vivi wrote:
Nope.

People do have to really watch it these days depending on were they live. It does vary a lot even in the same state and or town.

I don't worry too much about pocket knives, but wouldn't even think about a fixed blade in some places.

Some areas are whacked out more than others obviously.
Oh absolutely. Assuming something like my Perrin Street Bowie is legal in both locations, I'd be more hesitant to open carry it in San Francisco compared to Nitro, WV.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:54 am
Ankerson wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:50 am
Vivi wrote:
Nope.

Some areas are whacked out more than others obviously.
Oh absolutely. Assuming something like my Perrin Street Bowie is legal in both locations, I'd be more hesitant to open carry it in San Francisco compared to Nitro, WV.

I just tend to be more careful these days due to the general environment and current Society lets just say. ;)