s90v SHAMAN IS OUT

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: s90v SHAMAN IS OUT

Post by bearfacedkiller »

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

*double tap
Last edited by ZrowsN1s on Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:11 pm

Great line up man. Thats one good lookin Shaman. Well three good lookin Shamans really :D

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:11 pm

Darby! ****, dood! Wait 'til ya have the Crucarta too!
bearfacedkiller

Oh yes, the Crucarta will be mine!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:37 pm
Oh yes, the Crucarta will be mine!
Totally off topic question... Sent you a PM
Last edited by Enactive on Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

Question for those who have received their Shaman S90V.

Mine arrived today. This is my first Shaman and I have a question about the action when closing the blade.

All the comp lock Spydercos I have when I fully depress the lock bar the blade essentially falls shut. With this Shaman I received, when I depress the lock bar the blade begins to fall shut and then stops when it hits the detent ball. It cannot be depressed further to allow the detent ball to clear the blade.

I happened to have my comp lock Lil Native in my pocket so I used the handy magnifying feature on my iPhone. The detent ball on the Shaman sticks out much further from the lock bar surface than the Lil Native. It doesn't stick out twice as much but its a lot more. I assume this this issue as my Lil Native drops shut.

Anyone else experience this? Is this a "special" feature of the Shaman? Or is mine not made right?
bearfacedkiller

My detent ball clears the tang on my S30V model. I haven’t carried my S90V model yet.
-Darby
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

Bring on the Blurple. I want to see that G10 polished and curved.
SalomonA

Post by SalomonA »

BigGrove wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:08 pm

Mine arrived today. This is my first Shaman and I have a question about the action when closing the blade.

All the comp lock Spydercos I have when I fully depress the lock bar the blade essentially falls shut. With this Shaman I received, when I depress the lock bar the blade begins to fall shut and then stops when it hits the detent ball. It cannot be depressed further to allow the detent ball to clear the blade.

I happened to have my comp lock Lil Native in my pocket so I used the handy magnifying feature on my iPhone. The detent ball on the Shaman sticks out much further from the lock bar surface than the Lil Native. It doesn't stick out twice as much but its a lot more. I assume this this issue as my Lil Native drops shut.

Anyone else experience this? Is this a "special" feature of the Shaman? Or is mine not made right?
The action on the one I bought was similar to yours. I never actually figured out why though
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

SalomonA wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:41 pm
BigGrove wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:08 pm

The action on the one I bought was similar to yours. I never actually figured out why though
Figured it out... I disassembled and discovered there was a burr at the tip of the lock bar that was pointed towards the carbon fiber (outside of the knife). It stuck out far enough to prevent the lock bar from being fully depressed and as a result the detent ball was putting a lot of drag on the tang.

Some passes with a stone removed the burr and now it drops shut perfectly. A bit disappointed it got out of the factory like this but at least it's fixed.
sal

Post by sal »

It should break in with the burrs worn off. I've carried mine quite a bit and it is now very smooth. I really like S90V.

sal
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

sal wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:31 pm
It should break in with the burrs worn off. I've carried mine quite a bit and it is now very smooth. I really like S90V.

sal
This is a fantastic sprint, and we're very happy to have it! Thank you!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Wow. Not since the Fluted CF Native have I been so impressed with a Spyderco. Superb job Sal, Eric, and Golden crew :spyder:

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:08 am
sal wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:23 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 2:43 am

would you ever consider making a "Shaman LightWeight" with FRN? Is that ever potentially in the works?

Hi SEF,

possible on FRN, depending on demand.

sal

A Shaman LW with a wire clip and flat, squared, FRN similar to the Native LW? Count me in! This might be a good opportunity to try a "straight to CPM-CRUWEAR" production model with a nice new color of FRN/FRCP and a DLC version and a stonewash version. Then follow up with a blacked out LC200N Salt variation! I like this idea!
Yep, a LW version in something other than black (and other than s90v/s110v/maxamet) would get me to try out a Shaman.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
SLOSpyder

Post by SLOSpyder »

Man. Wish I got one of those jade ones. Very nice. A little big for an office EDC, but man it feels good in the hand.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

A squared off handle? I really like everything about the model but the handle is really what makes it imo. Looks like it just melts in your hand.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Really like pretty much everything about the shaman. Probably the most comfortable ergonomic knife ive ever used. Feels perfect for my hands. As some have mentioned I would definitely be in for a lightweight version. With bidirectional texturing of course. Even if we lose some of the contour in the handle it would still be great. The para 3 lightweight has me sold on how good an frn compression lock can really be. Anyone else notice the bidirectional tecturing on the para 3 ltwt isnt as deep as other bidirectional frn models. Not really sure why. I think from a grip perspective i prefer the deeper version.
At the end of the day though I still prefer backlocks over everything else, so bring on a native chief lightweight and I couldnt throw my money at you fast enough.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:35 pm
Yep, a LW version in something other than black (and other than s90v/s110v/maxamet) would get me to try out a Shaman.
I don't think a LW version would even be a Shaman.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:06 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:35 pm
I don't think a LW version would even be a Shaman.
+1
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?