If you could only have TWO Spyders...?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

If you could only have TWO Spyders...?

Post by Wartstein »

(EDIT: Just realized, what is really interesting for me concerning my below question "If you could only have/own TWO Spyders":
Not necessarely the particular two models, but even more so what different approaches people might take in that scenario:
More practical, so for example "A short and a long user" or "One PE, one SE" or "One slicer, one"beater"";
Or maybe more like "One user and one pretty collectors piece"; Maybe even ONE model in two different steels /handle materials. and so on...)

Which Spyderco it would be if you could just own ONE model is discussed and thought about quite often, but what if you could have (only) TWO? (and I am really talking about OWNING only two knives, not CARRYING)

Makes you think in a whole different way:

While when restricted to only ONE model people would maybe choose some "middle ground" concerning blade length, steel properties (toughness,edge retention and so on), with TWO models one could choose a long and a short, or a tough and a hard for example

Also it´s interesting that maybe your number TWO would come to mind immidiately and be a model you´d never choose as your ONLY knife, but it´s great as a second one, while it´s hard to pick the actual number one...

For me, at the moment it´s clear, that the Chaparral LW would be one of the two knives I´d want to have if I could only have TWO (though it NEVER could be my only knife, but it´s a great addition to a longer blade)

For the second (or actually the real number one) it would be a hard battle between Endura 4 and Stretch 1, as well as between HAP40 and VG10...

I think since I already had a short blade in the Chap, I´d go with the Endura, for it´s a little longer than the Stretch... (while for my one and only knife I´d probably go with the Stretch 1..)

And I´d probably choose HAP40 over VG10, though that´s a tough one, since VG10 is so fun and easy to sharpen on the Sharpmaker.

What would be your TWO choices? ;)
Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: If you could only have TWO Spyders...?

Post by Doc Dan »

I would pick the backlock Manix 2 and an Urban LW.

Alternatively, I would take a Manix 2 LW and either a Dragonfly Salt, or an Urban LW.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

mine would probably be a dice in xhp and a para 3 in 20cv

or lil native FRN in 20cv compression lock and a para 3 in 20cv as well.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Thanks for your replies, guys!!

What I find interesting when thinking about this TWO knife scenario: It lets´s you choose ONE of the two without strictly thinking rational or practical, but more to which knife you are somehow just attached "emotionally".

So in my case, it would be sensible to take as a second knife additionally to an Endura or Stretch my Delica combo edge sabre grind. This would give me some serrations, would be a more "sturdy and prybar-ish" alternative to a longer slicer and great for bringing it when rock climbing..

Still, as soon as I imagine that I had a quite universal knife like the Endura anyway, I immidiately realize that I would not want to relinquish the Chap, just cause I love the perfect design, lock fit and finish of that little thing and the way how it slices amazingly. And that despite the "slicing aspect" would be covered by Endura or Stretch anyway (just not THAT perfectly) and a sturdier blade would be more rational as an addition for me...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

For me a Salt has to be in there since they're practically a no maintenance line. I’d pick a pacific salt and cruwear Manix. The S110V models aren’t far behind the Manix.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I reject these conditions of keeping & owning knives :D
But a para3 in CRUWEAR would have to be one of them, and a SE Salt would make sense for the second. I wonder why the Atlantic Salt doesn’t get more live here?
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

At the moment my Spydiechef and new urban.
The Spydiechef sees much use in the kitchen and at the same time is a great edc. The urban i need when around sheeple.

I never ever carry only 2 knives btw. :D
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Danvp wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:19 am
At the moment my Spydiechef and new urban.
The Spydiechef sees much use in the kitchen and at the same time is a great edc. The urban i need when around sheeple.

I never ever carry only 2 knives btw. :D
Then this thread must be your absolute nightmare, since it is not about "only" CARRYING two, but actually just OWNING two... :D (to imagine the latter being a nightmare for me too... :eek: )
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Hawkbill Salt Dfly 2 and some form of Shaman (cruwear if i could nab it)
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Tough question, wow!

DF2 Salt
Para 3 LW
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cscottsss wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:10 am
Tough question, wow!

DF2 Salt
Para 3 LW
Tougher than the usual "if you could only have ONE?! ;)

I think the only TWO knife question is an interesting approach, for it opens many ways to go: Large plus small user; User plus "pretty collectors piece"; Slicer plus "beater"; Tough plus hard; SE plus PE ; some of these aspects combined; and so on...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Caribbean
Autonomy
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
anycal

Post by anycal »

Life would be much easier if I only owned two... perhaps on some other planet.

Fantasizing about only having three, four, five, or ten, one thing never changes. The two that are part of all these scenarios - PM2 and Military.

I thought about going with small/large knife combo. When I actually carry two, it is the Military and usually one of my small folders - Native, Chaparral, Caly 3, UKPK. Also, I work in an office, so I use small knifes a lot. But since you are making me choose only two, I suspect we had some cataclysmic event, and I don't have to worry about going to work?

I can't be without a PM2, and for a second folder I'd rather have something larger. I'll go with my top two folders any day.

Peter
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

1. Lil Native - Plain Edge Compression Lock
2. PPT Perrin - S90v and CF
-Nick :bug-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I know some of you guys have 30, 40, 100 knives. I've only got 16! I've been thinking for the past 5 minutes and seriously can't narrow it down to 2. A couple are gifts from my wife, some I love based on how often I use them, others for the look, some for the comfort of the handles. Of my 16, I honestly think I'd only be ok with getting rid of 4 of them!

So all my rambling did not answer the question...because I can't!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
juggler

Post by juggler »

The first one would have to be the Native, my favourite all-around mid-sized folder : I love the ergonomics and there's not much I can't do with it (I generally use fixed blades when I need anything longer and I try to avoid folders for food prep).

As for the second one, the Endura would probably be the reasonable choice but I think I would pick the Persian in the end... just because :p
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

one would be the native but I'll be darned if I can figure out what the other should be...
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
jdw

Post by jdw »

Cru Military and ZDP Manbug.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Really, really tough question.. A Native would be in there for sure for me. Perfect all-around user in my opinion (this can be said of so many Spydercos though.. :)). As for the second.. I'm glad I live in a world where this question is only hypothetical..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:45 am
I know some of you guys have 30, 40, 100 knives. I've only got 16! I've been thinking for the past 5 minutes and seriously can't narrow it down to 2. A couple are gifts from my wife, some I love based on how often I use them, others for the look, some for the comfort of the handles. Of my 16, I honestly think I'd only be ok with getting rid of 4 of them!

So all my rambling did not answer the question...because I can't!
I have only eleven Spyderco-folders (plus one Benchmade and 2 or 3 nameless crappy ones)...In fact, I could also maybe let go only three of those (the Spydercos) somehow ...

Still, concerning my question: If I had to narrow them down to two, at the moment it would be Endura 4 in HAP40 and Chap lw... though, having no Stretch1? And no VG10?
It IS a tough question indeed... ;)
Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.