Where is the Urban Coyote?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: Where is the Urban Coyote?

Post by TkoK83Spy »

toocool006 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:57 am
Mine showed up as well (or rather I finally picked it up). My example is pretty much the same as Rick's - not the best grind, not the worst. The blade does sit pretty high off the backspacer, but the point isn't poking out (like the Ikuchi was), so I'll probably leave it as-is. The jimping is pretty gnarled and gouged though. But I like the color a lot more in person than I did online, so there's that. Overall excited for a stainless sprint Urban, going to rock this boy and put it to work!
I forgot to add that as well, that it does right pretty high off the backspacer. Close, but doesn't catch my finger. The jimping is also very poorly done. Thankfully it doesn't add any discomfort when using it.
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
archangel

Post by archangel »

SF Native wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:36 pm
archangel wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:06 pm
In stock at BladeHQ. At least it looks like that...
Ordered. Thanks Michael.
This one joining your unique collection?

I'm struggling with an empty bank account. On the other hand I'd hate to miss this opportunity. Need to talk to my wifey...
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

archangel wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:06 am
SF Native wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:36 pm
archangel wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:06 pm
In stock at BladeHQ. At least it looks like that...
Ordered. Thanks Michael.
This one joining your unique collection?

I'm struggling with an empty bank account. On the other hand I'd hate to miss this opportunity. Need to talk to my wifey...
I think you have time. I bet these can be found 6 months from now.
UrbanMoose

Post by UrbanMoose »

Just got email confirmation that two are are their way to me from Germany :D Hopefully they are just as good in fit and finish as my BB Elmax Urban (which has excellent f&f). I'd be disappointed to get knives whose finish and fit wasn't up to usual Spyderco QC. Fingers crossed...
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

Kinda weird though that within a batch the quality differs. As said, my piece is oké. However, i think i blunted the tip with sharpening. Only visible with a loupe. :mad:
archangel

Post by archangel »

UrbanMoose wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:38 pm
Just got email confirmation that two are are their way to me from Germany :D Hopefully they are just as good in fit and finish as my BB Elmax Urban (which has excellent f&f). I'd be disappointed to get knives whose finish and fit wasn't up to usual Spyderco QC. Fingers crossed...

Where did you order them? :eek:
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
UrbanMoose

Post by UrbanMoose »

[/quote]
Where did you order them? :eek:
[/quote]

Here:
http://com2you-biwak.de/

But they are out of stock now... :o
Last edited by UrbanMoose on Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Got mine in the mail today. I think it’s fantastic! I’m stoked :cool: But I can see some of what others were saying. So I took a few pics for those of you who don’t have one yet:

Fits my hand remarkably well for such a compact form factor

The top/back of the tang is a little proud of the backspring by about the depth of the jimping. Carrying the jimping back to the backspring would solve it

Speaking of jimping, it could be cleaner. Definitely no comparison to Golden production knives like the para 3 or PM2

Something I noticed but has not been mentioned yet is a small “tab” where the spydie hole was laser cut. Just a little bump at the back of the hole

And finally, a comparison pic to what I’m pocketing today, the REX45 PM2

Then I had to pack it back up so my kids can give it to me Sunday! ;)
Last edited by Woodpuppy on Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Thanks for the photos woodpuppy.

Anyone want to start a poll with the question being... if you saw these photos for an eBay item, would you conclude it’s a fake?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:54 pm
Got mine in the mail today. I think it’s fantastic! I’m stoked :cool: But I can see some of what others were saying. So I took a few pics for those of you who don’t have one yet:

Fits my hand remarkably well for such a compact form factor

The top/back of the tang is a little proud of the backspring by about the depth of the jimping. Carrying the jimping back to the backspring would solve it

Speaking of jimping, it could be cleaner. Definitely no comparison to Golden production knives like the para 3 or PM2

Something I noticed but has not been mentioned yet is a small “tab” where the spydie hole was later cut. Just a little bump at the back of the hole

And finally, a comparison pic to what I’m pocketing today, the REX45 PM2

Then I had to pack it back up so my kids can give it to me Sunday! ;)
Thanks for posting those pictures. I hope mine is not like that. Someone got lazy when they made this knife. Still, it will be a good knife to carry and use.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Nate

Post by Nate »

The jimping on my K390 sprint is way worse than that lol. It never bothered me though.
:spyder:
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Of course most would like to see perfect specimens but considering the $65 street price I think some cosmetic blemishes are not outrageous.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

SF Native wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:33 pm

Anyone want to start a poll with the question being... if you saw these photos for an eBay item, would you conclude it’s a fake?
Hey now, I know I’m not a high zoot photographer, but they’re mostly in focus, there are no toes, and I didn’t use a ruler!

RamZar wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:54 pm
Of course most would like to see perfect specimens but considering the $65 street price I think some cosmetic blemishes are not outrageous.

I guess I haven’t seen an Urban of such fine craftsmanship that would make this one pale in comparison. There are a couple things that could be smoothed out, but I’m happy and this one’ll get used.

I fully support the idea of turning the Urban (or UKPK, I may now need one of those) into a steel mule. It’s so inexpensive I could actually play along.
Last edited by Woodpuppy on Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I also took some photos when I got home, but more so for size comparison. Dragonfly, Urban and UKPK. I'm quite surprised at how thick the blade stock is on the Urban when compared to the other two.

ny6235Ph.jpg
EHrRDBIh.jpg
ci7v2S3h.jpg
WVNpEgEh.jpg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Thanks! Right you are about the blade thickness! Rick, was it you or maybe steelcity interested in the UPKP as a folding mule series?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:09 pm

Thanks! Right you are about the blade thickness! Rick, was it you or maybe steelcity interested in the UPKP as a folding mule series?

I bought a UKPK thinking I might warm up to lock-less knives and the idea of a UKPK Mule. I was truly impressed with the HH Red UKPK and it exceeded my expectations. But, in the end, I decided that a lock is a must-have for my uses.

Thus I am firmly back in the Para LW/Manix LW folding mule camp. And I passed on the Urban LW despite my strong desire to try AEB-L. Hopefully AEB-L is well received and we will see it in some Seki City models like we have seen with other Bohler steels (M390/K390). I'm sure an AEB-L Police LW / Endura / Endela / Delica / Dfly series in Coyote Brown would be a huge success if the reviews of the Urban's AEB-L are positive.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:06 pm
I also took some photos when I got home, but more so for size comparison. Dragonfly, Urban and UKPK. I'm quite surprised at how thick the blade stock is on the Urban when compared to the other two.

ny6235Ph.jpg
EHrRDBIh.jpg
ci7v2S3h.jpg
WVNpEgEh.jpg

Great comparison pics! Really makes me want an Urban sized Dragonfly XL with the thinner Dragonfly blade.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:03 pm
SF Native wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:33 pm

Hey now, I know I’m not a high zoot photographer, but they’re mostly in focus, there are no toes, and I didn’t use a ruler!
Wp, my comment is not a critique of your photo skills. Those are fine. I mean that we typically use the fine details to determine what is likely a real spyderco and what is made by someone else. I have 2 of the k390 Urbans and neither looks like that. Mine should be here tomorrow and I hope it looks like a spyderco usually does.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Guess it will be interesting to compare notes.