Where is the Urban Coyote?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
attila

Re: Where is the Urban Coyote?

Post by attila »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:16 pm
attila wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:01 pm
I received mine today, and both of them are quite disappointing in the fit-n-finish dept. One of them had excessive buffing of the FRN, removing the nice radius in 2 places and causing FRN burrs, the other has blemishes on the blade from the factory, both have poorly cut jimping (looks like galling), both have thicker-than-necessary edge grinds, and both have nearly exposed tips when closed.

I understand that it's mostly form, not function that was screwed up. Therefore, on a Sprint run, these aren't quite fatal flaws. I expected far better from Maniago, however, since my K390 Urban and P.I.T.S. had no fit-n-finish issues besides being a tad off center.

I hope everyone else gets excellent examples that they can be proud of.

That’s disappointing. Where did you get yours?
Spyderco Factory Outlet store. I buy non-exclusives from there since I get the OpFocus discount.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Riiight. Forgot you’d PM’d me that.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

attila wrote:
I received mine today, and both of them are quite disappointing in the fit-n-finish dept. One of them had excessive buffing of the FRN, removing the nice radius in 2 places and causing FRN burrs, the other has blemishes on the blade from the factory, both have poorly cut jimping (looks like galling), both have thicker-than-necessary edge grinds, and both have nearly exposed tips when closed.

I understand that it's mostly form, not function that was screwed up. Therefore, on a Sprint run, these aren't quite fatal flaws. I expected far better from Maniago, however, since my K390 Urban and P.I.T.S. had no fit-n-finish issues besides being a tad off center.

Got mine today and same thing, took 30 minutes to fix. It's a $65 knife, no big deal to me.
Figger it was over compensation for previous blades contacting the back spacer/spring.
There are a few differences in this one and the k390.
I'll post picks of everything in a couple weeks.
attila

Post by attila »

wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:08 pm
attila wrote:

Got mine today and same thing, took 30 minutes to fix. It's a $65 knife, no big deal to me.
Figger it was over compensation for previous blades contacting the back spacer/spring.
There are a few differences in this one and the k390.
I'll post picks of everything in a couple weeks.
I'm familiar with that issue, I had it on my K390 Urban. I ended up grinding away just enough excess material on the backspacer (non-springy) portion of the spring. That made the tip no longer contact it when closing. This AEB-L version seems to overcompensate for that old issue.

I haven't ground the kick of my AEB-L versions yet, since I'm not sure which (both?) I'll keep. Regardless of its ability to be fixed, it shouldn't be like that from the factory.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I hope these are flukes. My K390 is perfect and the blade does not contact the back spacer. Of course, on the AEB-L, if it is only the kick that is a little proud, that can be taken care of in a jiffy. I hope the rest of the knife is great.

However, you two are the only ones that I have yet heard from that have had issues. Others seem happy, and the pictures on YT and on this forum show no issues. So, hopefully, yours were flukes.
Last edited by Doc Dan on Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
mugwump867

Post by mugwump867 »

Just bought one at the River's Edge Cutlery website so they're starting to filter out into the wild. Can't wait to try AEB-L.
archangel

Post by archangel »

In stock at BladeHQ. At least it looks like that...
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
djrbas

Post by djrbas »

Just got my shipping notice from KnifeCenter for a preorder.
Accutronman

Post by Accutronman »

F1732200-F3CF-4863-9F03-BE7D85385738.jpeg
Japan meets Italy
SSD_777

Post by SSD_777 »

National Knives has stock.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

archangel wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:06 pm
In stock at BladeHQ. At least it looks like that...
Ordered. Thanks Michael.
This one joining your unique collection?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Accutronman wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:09 pm
F1732200-F3CF-4863-9F03-BE7D85385738.jpeg

Japan meets Italy
Nice! How do you like the Urban so far?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

Can't wait for mine
Nate

Post by Nate »

djrbas wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:14 pm
Just got my shipping notice from KnifeCenter for a preorder.

Holding my breath on same. :)

Passed up several other opportunities already, hopefully my preorder turns up soon.
:spyder:
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

Was in stock at Blade HQ yesterday.
Out of stock today
ShaneInDenver

Post by ShaneInDenver »

I got my shipping notification from National Knives and canceled my Knife Center preorder. I'm really looking forward to this release and I hope we'll see more steel options available in the Urban.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Mine just showed up at work. The grind isn't the best I've seen, nor the worst so I guess I can't complain there. The scales have a different feel to them, at least to me compared to other frn models. I like them. Fits comfortably just like the UKPK, just a smaller version basically. Seems like a good deal overall for $65. Can't wait to give this steel a try!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

Mine showed up as well (or rather I finally picked it up). My example is pretty much the same as Rick's - not the best grind, not the worst. The blade does sit pretty high off the backspacer, but the point isn't poking out (like the Ikuchi was), so I'll probably leave it as-is. The jimping is pretty gnarled and gouged though. But I like the color a lot more in person than I did online, so there's that. Overall excited for a stainless sprint Urban, going to rock this boy and put it to work!
~andrew
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

Just received mine. All good, just as my other Urbans.
Not sharp out of the box, but that is no real problem. Will sharpen it to 15 dps. Very curious how this steel holds up and touches up. Is it really the stainless 52100 in real use?
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

In stock at GP Knives as of 11:59 am CST.
https://www.gpknives.com/spyderco-urban ... 27pbn.html