Oats

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Oats

Post by Doc Dan »

Anyone here eat oats on a daily basis? I do. I find that I do not get hungry and my cholesterol has been reduced. I eat one to two bowls a day. I also make bread with oats. They help reduce blood sugar and are a great source of protein, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.

Here is a simple read: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods/oats

I usually eat them with Craisens, but I also cut up bananas, strawberries, apples, or etc. from time to time. I always add about a 1/3 tsp of honey (I do not like things that are sweet that much, so less is more) and a bit of whole milk.

I believe in the health benefits of oats, all oats. That steel cut, blah, blah, blah is all marketing. The difference between rolled, quick, and instant oats is not like other cereals. The difference is only in the thickness and piece sizes of the oats. The quick oat is simply thinner than the rolled, helping it to cook faster, for example.

I have not tried to make chicken porridge out of oats. I wonder how that would be?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Oats

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I love oat foods, oatmeal, oat based cereals. Do you like oatmeal cookies, Doc?
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Yummy 😋
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

DOC, you sound like you eat very healthily. Good on you!

I think the quicker oats also digest easier, so you do not get the full benefit of the oat.

I usually eat oatmeal during the Winter when I need something to stick to my ribs.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

yeah I like oatmeal especially. I really like the "old fashioned" oatmeal that you have to cook a longer period of time. I do not like those instant or microwave oatmeals at all. For the past few years I refuse to eat anything out of a microwave oven after I learned how they destroy the nutrients in your food. Therefore I use the real oats that you have to cook for a long time. I've used Quaker Old Fashioned Oat Meal, I've also used many other brands including those steel cut oats that you get at health food stores. It seems like the ones you have to cook the longest are the most nutritional of all.

I like to put wildflower honey and real butter in mine. Sometimes I put pure sorghum molasses on them with Half & Half and that is really tasty. I really need to start eating them again. They make a great breakfast and after eating oat meal I don't seem to get hungry for quite a while after I eat them.

I wish some of you would give me good brands of steel cut oats or oat meal in general to try out. I'm not sure if Quaker still has the quality they once had.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:38 pm
I love oat foods, oatmeal, oat based cereals. Do you like oatmeal cookies, Doc?
SEF, I love them. Next to double chunk Chips Ahoy Chocolate Chips, they are my favorite. However, I do not eat them much anymore. I have cut all sugar out of my diet and feel better for having done it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

I haven't eaten oatmeal for many years, though I like it. In 2011, I developed a sensitivity to gluten, and while pure oats are supposedly gluten-free, the issue would be possible cross-contamination. However, I have had good experiences with Bob's Red Mill gluten-free brown rice farina and GF corn meal, so I'd like to try out their GF quick cooking oats.

Jim
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

James Y wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:13 pm
I haven't eaten oatmeal for many years, though I like it. In 2011, I developed a sensitivity to gluten, and while pure oats are supposedly gluten-free, the issue would be possible cross-contamination. However, I have had good experiences with Bob's Red Mill gluten-free brown rice farina and GF corn meal, so I'd like to try out their GF quick cooking oats.

Jim
There are a lot of brands out there that guarantee gluten free. Still, it depends on how serious your allergy is as to whether you would want to chance it. If you take a lot of Tylenol that will cause you to be gluten sensitive.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Not daily, but several times a week. Always have hot cereal for breakfast, but alternate between oats, corn, wheat, and mixed grains.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

i stopped gluten last march. [ wheat belly ]
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

If there were only one grain or cereal to eat, for me I would choose oats every time. They are tasty, filling, and very, very nutritious. I lowered my cholesterol to safe limits eating them. As I age, protein is important, and so is magnesium and other minerals. I get all that from oats.

What I want to work on is a recipe for protein bars that have no sugar and no eggs, using oats as the main ingredient. Anyone have any ideas?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Definitely. Porridge in winter, oat flakes in summer.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I am going to make some oat chicken porridge tomorrow or the next day. I have to buy the ingredients, first. I am going to make the savory kind.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I just had oatmeal for breakfast. I put in some raisins for variety. I have to try chocolate chips one of these days!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
termite

Post by termite »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:07 pm
yeah I like oatmeal especially. I really like the "old fashioned" oatmeal that you have to cook a longer period of time. I do not like those instant or microwave oatmeals at all. For the past few years I refuse to eat anything out of a microwave oven after I learned how they destroy the nutrients in your food. Therefore I use the real oats that you have to cook for a long time. I've used Quaker Old Fashioned Oat Meal, I've also used many other brands including those steel cut oats that you get at health food stores. It seems like the ones you have to cook the longest are the most nutritional of all.

I like to put wildflower honey and real butter in mine. Sometimes I put pure sorghum molasses on them with Half & Half and that is really tasty. I really need to start eating them again. They make a great breakfast and after eating oat meal I don't seem to get hungry for quite a while after I eat them.

I wish some of you would give me good brands of steel cut oats or oat meal in general to try out. I'm not sure if Quaker still has the quality they once had.
I don't want to discriminate so I buy Hamlyns (Scotland) or McCann's (Ireland). Both good and for the record, I adhere to the same policy regarding whiskey. Mostly in cold weather, I like to cook the oats in vegetable broth and then put them in the crock pot with sauteed onions/garlic, red pepper flakes, paprika and chick peas. After it's cooked for some time, I stir in shredded cheese (your choice). I admit it probably doesn't sound too good, but I love it!
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

That sounds good! A lot of what I am going to use (experiment) is in yours. At least I know I am on the right track.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Tims

Post by Tims »

50 grams a day in a shake. Good stuff
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I have a bowl of instant porridge made with water that I add a splash of cold milk to most mornings. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Not every day but like 4 times a week.
I make pancakes with them, sometimes porridge with some fruits and protein powder, right now i have some oat cookies with banana and nuts.
And od course, after workout I mix oat, banana and protein powder (but right now dont have any banana home).
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:28 am
a splash of cold milk
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049