The Dodo 2019

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rivy

Re: The Dodo 2019

Post by rivy »

I wonder how BHQ will price them. Exclusive run, better steel... gotta end up around $200 I bet.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:52 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:31 am
Brother "ZROW" this is more than just a Sprint Run>> this is going to have to go to higher ground. Yes the Dodo should come back as a mainstream model for the main line up. The popularity that has been generated for the Dodo model has gotten so high that I'm hearing of 2003 era models going as high as $380 from what one of my sources told me.

That's just not fair to Spyderco's constant fans and the knife buying pubic in general. If the demand is that high then how could Spyderco possibly lose?
No they would have a model in their main line up that would sell just as good or maybe better than some of the permanent models currently do.

If they would ramp it up and use a newer/better blade steel and offer it in at least 3 different handle materials I do believe it could sell almost as good as a Delica with premium blade steel. Because like the Hawkbills the more people that learn how useful this model is the more people that are going to ultimately want one. Even if they would run the Dodo for at least a year I think my point could be proven.
I'd love to see it in regular production. As I said, the demand on this will likely shape that.
Another aspect of this that Spyderco needs to consider and maybe even get some consulting on>> that is the fact that there are a lot of new Spyderco fans out there that were not there even 3 to 4 years ago. And many of them are craving for the older models in many cases. Even if they only ran it in regular production for a year or so I bet it will still be one of their top 10 sellers easily.

Also I wish more people would be able to test drive one of the older full Spyderedged Dodo models>> I think most would agree with me that it's about the best serrated, short bladed Spyder ever made.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
Brother "ZROW" this is more than just a Sprint Run>> this is going to have to go to higher ground. Yes the Dodo should come back as a mainstream model for the main line up. The popularity that has been generated for the Dodo model has gotten so high that I'm hearing of 2003 era models going as high as $380 from what one of my sources told me.

That's just not fair to Spyderco's constant fans and the knife buying pubic in general. If the demand is that high then how could Spyderco possibly lose?
No they would have a model in their main line up that would sell just as good or maybe better than some of the permanent models currently do.

If they would ramp it up and use a newer/better blade steel and offer it in at least 3 different handle materials I do believe it could sell almost as good as a Delica with premium blade steel. Because like the Hawkbills the more people that learn how useful this model is the more people that are going to ultimately want one. Even if they would run the Dodo for at least a year I think my point could be proven.
I'd love to see it in regular production. As I said, the demand on this will likely shape that.

I don't see the demand for regular production on this one. I think a good exclusive (BHQ M4, St Nicks DLC 4V, CS CTS-XHP) every two to three years will sell quickly as some people would buy for curiousty, some for collectabilty, some for investment as a safety deposit box queen, some for flipping, and very few for use. A regular old black S30V that isn't rare or exclusive loses a lot of these buyers.

Be thankful that BHQ had the ball bearings to risk a boatload of cash on doing an exclusive!! :D I'll be buying one out of curiosity! :)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:46 pm
I don't see the demand for regular production on this one. I think a good exclusive (BHQ M4, St Nicks DLC 4V, CS CTS-XHP) every two to three years will sell quickly as some people would buy for curiousty, some for collectabilty, some for investment as a safety deposit box queen, some for flipping, and very few for use. A regular old black S30V that isn't rare or exclusive loses a lot of these buyers.

Be thankful that BHQ had the ball bearings to risk a boatload of cash on doing an exclusive!! :D I'll be buying one out of curiosity! :)
I tend to agree. Sprint is good.

Also as jd said, there are new users and as time goes on, the trends of what people need and will buy change. I would like to see some of the 3” folders of yesteryear come back like the rookie.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

SF Native wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:30 pm

I would like to see some of the 3” folders of yesteryear come back like the rookie.

I would like this as well, but in updated FRN LW form. Rookie and Worker LWs would be amazing. I had a Worker sprint but sold it because I like LW knives in that size. I was doing something earlier today where a Worker blade would have been perfect.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

Here's the video of the new 2019 Dodo. I said I would never buy that ridiculous green scale but this may force me into buying one. I have been waiting for the return of the Dodo for a long time. I hope they do it in stainless instead of M4.

https://youtu.be/ScWvTKqxe4c

:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Hopweaver wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:20 am

Here's the video of the new 2019 Dodo. I said I would never buy that ridiculous green scale but this may force me into buying one. I have been waiting for the return of the Dodo for a long time. I hope they do it in stainless instead of M4.

All of the BHQ Jade exclusives are M4 (or Hap40 on the Japanese made knives). They already said M4 at 15:11 into the video. Sorry! :( Maybe if this one does well we can convince Cutlery Shoppe to do a CTS-XHP version!

https://youtu.be/ScWvTKq ... e=youtu.be
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

2019 needs to be the year of the "Dodofly"!! :) PE and SE H1 Salt versions please! :D

option a

option b (elongated blade)

steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Wanimator wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:20 pm

Regular production Dodo FRCP lightweight CBBL S110v and cts-bd1. Lol

I am TOTALLY on board with this as well, but would prefer they keep the current Dodo lock if possible. The Translucent Blue FRCP BD-1 version at least. S110V would be too hard to sharpen in this blade shape in my opinion.

Let's do this! Dodos for days! :D
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:39 am
2019 needs to be the year of the "Dodofly"!! :) PE and SE H1 Salt versions please! :D

i’d buy this in h1 so fast.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Never had one. If possible, I will buy one in a second. I can always dye the scales, or not. I like them fine. Ball bearing lock, EXCELLENT. I think the Dodo will be one of the all-time best EDC knives one can have especially if it’s utility is considered. It is small and easily pocket carried. The handle ergonomics are there to be used, especially in different grips and force. It’s not a slicer and not designed to be, but a general purpose working blade.

I can see the Dodo paired with my Great Eastern Cutlery #44 or #82 as tackling about any daily cutting task I will encounter.

Getting one will be the hardest part.

Thanks to Spyderco and BladeHQ!
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
garret

Post by garret »

I was not in the forum for a while, I think I've missed something important, they're going to get a new dodo??, where there's information?, I'd like to have the 2019 version next to the CF
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

steelcity16 wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

Well buddy I have a minor disagreement with you but nothing severe. First off I can't tell you how many guys and even a couple of gals have asked me in the last year where they can get a Dodo model at an affordable price. And that's just the small microcosm of people I meet and get to know on a day to day basis. Believe me the demand for the Dodo model is growing.

Now the reasons you state as to why people would buy a Dodo >> I can agree on everyone you stated. However I think you are underestimating the amount of people that would actually use one. For instance when I got my very first blue PE Dodo back in 2003 upon it's inception I bought that knife for the very reasons you stated. But one week I decided to EDC it for the whole week. I was astounded at how good of an every day pocket knife it was and how much I could do with it>> and guess what??? That Dodo model I discovered is a great overall design for everyday use. If I lived in a communist, totalitarian, draconian place on the planet with strict blade length laws the Dodo would be my first selection.

Sir I think you very much underestimate the sales that model would generate if it was made in mass quantity and made more affordable. I've kept my original Blue PE Dodo and used it off and on ever since 2003. I bet that there are others who have had as good of luck as I've had with it. Think about it. ;)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:11 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

Well buddy I have a minor disagreement with you but nothing severe. First off I can't tell you how many guys and even a couple of gals have asked me in the last year where they can get a Dodo model at an affordable price. And that's just the small microcosm of people I meet and get to know on a day to day basis. Believe me the demand for the Dodo model is growing.

Now the reasons you state as to why people would buy a Dodo >> I can agree on everyone you stated. However I think you are underestimating the amount of people that would actually use one. For instance when I got my very first blue PE Dodo back in 2003 upon it's inception I bought that knife for the very reasons you stated. But one week I decided to EDC it for the whole week. I was astounded at how good of an every day pocket knife it was and how much I could do with it>> and guess what??? That Dodo model I discovered is a great overall design for everyday use. If I lived in a communist, totalitarian, draconian place on the planet with strict blade length laws the Dodo would be my first selection.

Sir I think you very much underestimate the sales that model would generate if it was made in mass quantity and made more affordable. I've kept my original Blue PE Dodo and used it off and on ever since 2003. I bet that there are others who have had as good of luck as I've had with it. Think about it. ;)

This is the thought behind my "Dodofly" idea! A lightweight, inexpensive mass produced knife. Make it in rustproof H1 SE and H1 PE Salt and for under $70 a pop thats one heck of a knife! And the Dragonfly already has a large following, so it may help introduce this blade shape to the mainstream.

I'm not sure what the retail on this sprint or on a production S30V version would be, but I bet a lot of the people asking you about it would recoil in horror at the price, unless they are already Spydie-nuts. :) :spyder:
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Would like to get the Dodo sprint, hoping there is SE as an option.
+1 on the “Dodofly“ H1 would be the icing on the cake.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:39 am

option a

HA! That looks cool. I would definitely get one.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

I'd wager the Dodo is probably the least used mainline production knife ever in Spyderco's catalog due to the blade steel and how difficult it is to sharpen properly and reliably. Certainly none of the two dozen+ examples I've seen in real life had any significant wear. I've never seen any examples online with real wear like you see Delicas/Enduras. I carried and used my PE Dodo heavily for years and it took a huge amount of time to sharpen it while maintaining the blade profile. Worse than the Kris even.

Anyway, as far as alternate blade shapes, these concepts were posted here several years ago but I'd love to see them come to fruition (in addition to the regular sinusoidal blade shape back in production!). The spearpoint model would be phenomenal with a full flat grind and a mirror edge. Apologies to the creators of these images, my notes were decoupled from my images at some point.

steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

spoonrobot wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:17 pm

I'd wager the Dodo is probably the least used mainline production knife ever in Spyderco's catalog due to the blade steel and how difficult it is to sharpen properly and reliably. Certainly none of the two dozen+ examples I've seen in real life had any significant wear. I've never seen any examples online with real wear like you see Delicas/Enduras. I carried and used my PE Dodo heavily for years and it took a huge amount of time to sharpen it while maintaining the blade profile. Worse than the Kris even.

I agree that the traditional Dodo shape would be MUCH more suited to an easy to sharpen steel. Something like 52100 or BD-1 would be a good fit in my opinion. Or an H1 "Dodofly" like I suggested should be a breeze to sharpen with the Sharpmaker.
Tims

Post by Tims »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:32 pm
spoonrobot wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:17 pm

I agree that the traditional Dodo shape would be MUCH more suited to an easy to sharpen steel. Something like 52100 or BD-1 would be a good fit in my opinion. Or an H1 "Dodofly" like I suggested should be a breeze to sharpen with the Sharpmaker.
With bd-1n coming out of golden now, why not step it up a bit and use that. This blade will be quick and easy to maintain on the corners of the sharpmaker, finish the tip on the flats.
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

Glad to see the Dodo making a comeback; I carried my old black one just the other day for the first time in a while.