Ikuchi

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Re: Ikuchi

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Lobsterco wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:16 pm
Thanks everyone! My lust for the Ikuchi brought me here. The addiction has begun. I currently only own 4 folders. We'll see where I'm at in a year or so :) Since I currently have your attention, what do you think: Chaparral, Para 3 LW, or Dragonfly 2?
I am biased, but Dragonfly 2.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Drahkis

Post by Drahkis »

yalel wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:41 am
Thanks for being able to be part of this forum. I am new and from Europe. avid hunter and carrying a knife that I use for nearly all occasions ( opening a carton box till cleaning game ) since I was a kid. Always on the look for the holy grale and just that could be close with this Ikuchi
I do see this a lillte different than the quoted poster in my kind of use. I do a bit of small game cleaning ( rabbits, hare, ducks ) and for this kind of job I have been looking out a while already for a thin stock pocket knife with a reasobale sized handle. THIN < THIN < THIN.... blade is the word and is hard to find. I really hope that with the Ikuchie this will be the end of the search. Slicing like a scalpel is what I appreciate but can hardly find in 99.9 % of the 3 mm and up blades that seems to be the sweet spot. I really doubt if 2-2,5 mm would not be better for most of these knives . ( in case used as intended and not as an axe or hammer !)
My 2 cents on the expectations for the Ikuchi. Hope it fits the bill in real life though.. Any alternatives for my needs as just described very welcome of course...

I got a Centofante 4 a while back and was surprised at how thin they are. The 4 is discontinued but the Centofante 3 is available and listed at a blade thickness of .08" so a hair over 2mm. its a decent size with a decent handle.

Good luck finding what you want.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Lobsterco wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:16 pm
Thanks everyone! My lust for the Ikuchi brought me here. The addiction has begun. I currently only own 4 folders. We'll see where I'm at in a year or so :) Since I currently have your attention, what do you think: Chaparral, Para 3 LW, or Dragonfly 2?

To the CurlyHairedFella: It's not just about dulling the knives. My buddy has promised me his old Lansky system next time we hang out, so restoring an edge won't be much of an issue. I currently play with a combination of a single whetstone that my dad bought 30 years ago and a $20 diamond steel I got a the knife store at the mall, utilizing techniques culled from YouTube videos. However, I have this weird psychological issue where I enjoy things far more if they're a) a bargain and b) already broken in. I've never owned a new car or motorcycle. If I can get something that's nearly new on eBay, then I don't feel bad when I really beat on it. I'd be thrilled to get a "B" condition Ikuchi used on a forum or eBay for $80. I'd use it daily and not fear it dropping out of my pocket. But at $130, I'll just ogle and fidget with it. And it's not that money is so tight that I can't afford a $130 Ikuchi pre-order. I'm eccentric, despite trying very hard not to be.
in a few months, these will probably start appearing on the secondary market as preorderers and early adopters give it a try :)
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I will pay $130 for this and then use it like it was $20.

Now, if it would just come out!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Lobsterco

Post by Lobsterco »

Sumdumguy wrote: I will pay $130 for this and then use it like it was $20.

Now, if it would just come out!
I really, truly wish I could do this! I have a savant level ability to remember what I paid for things, even if I forgot what I did 2 weeks ago. I blame it on having a family hit hard by the Great Depression, forever maximizing the utility of things and never letting anything go to waste.
paulwa

Re: CRKT CEO

Post by paulwa »

Lobsterco wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:04 am
If the designer of the Ikuchi reads this, I'd love to buy a knife with a flipper-dial at the ~$60 price point, it doesn't need to be as gorgeous as the Ikuchi just relatively light and fun.
Howdy Lobsterco, I’m the Ikuchi designer, and welcome to the forum,

Sorry the price-point on the Ikuchi is out of your comfort zone. I originally designed and mocked-up this knife as an all titanium frame-integrated compression lock, which would have made the knife quite a bit more expensive. Spyderco typically picks a manufacturing location and then the design and materials are tweaked and selected to suit that location’s capabilities (at least that’s been my experience, other custom-maker collaborators seem to have better luck getting exactly what materials they want on their designs).
To hit the price point you are after, I think there would be a lot of compromises on materials, build quality, and functionality given the volumes for the Ikuchi. The other potential option would be to pursue a light weight FRN version of the Ikuchi (which would be pretty cool), but mold tooling for such a piece would be a lot of capital investment. Something like that would only be possible for a knife with perennially strong sales, and the Ikuchi hasn’t even been released yet. Maybe it will be popular enough to merit such an investment; or at least some dealer/distributor exclusives, but those tend to skew towards the higher end.

- Paul
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

paulwa wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:24 am
Lobsterco wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:04 am
If the designer of the Ikuchi reads this, I'd love to buy a knife with a flipper-dial at the ~$60 price point, it doesn't need to be as gorgeous as the Ikuchi just relatively light and fun.
Howdy Lobsterco, I’m the Ikuchi designer, and welcome to the forum,

Sorry the price-point on the Ikuchi is out of your comfort zone. I originally designed and mocked-up this knife as an all titanium frame-integrated compression lock, which would have made the knife quite a bit more expensive. Spyderco typically picks a manufacturing location and then the design and materials are tweaked and selected to suit that location’s capabilities (at least that’s been my experience, other custom-maker collaborators seem to have better luck getting exactly what materials they want on their designs).
To hit the price point you are after, I think there would be a lot of compromises on materials, build quality, and functionality given the volumes for the Ikuchi. The other potential option would be to pursue a light weight FRN version of the Ikuchi (which would be pretty cool), but mold tooling for such a piece would be a lot of capital investment. Something like that would only be possible for a knife with perennially strong sales, and the Ikuchi hasn’t even been released yet. Maybe it will be popular enough to merit such an investment; or at least some dealer/distributor exclusives, but those tend to skew towards the higher end.

- Paul
Aww! I've been crying about wanting a Ti compression lock on a new knife forever! This would have been perfect for it.

What caused that idea to be nixed?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

paulwa wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:24 am
I originally designed and mocked-up this knife as an all titanium frame-integrated compression lock...
The thought of an all Ti version...Holy Moly Guacamole! One can dream...
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

Howdy all,

Just wanted to let interested folks know that my production sample Ikuchi is in-bound and should be in-hand on Monday (3/4). So it won’t be long now till they hit the streets, probably sometime later this month...
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:37 am
Aww! I've been crying about wanting a Ti compression lock on a new knife forever! This would have been perfect for it.

Not sure it was nixed... I think they wanted to hit a more accessible price point (which I have no problem with), and there would have been a lot more development and validation needed for the handle integrated lock since my mock-ups show how it could be made, but that doesn’t mean it would translate well to the production capabilities and build queue at the factory. Who knows, if it’s popular, there could be a chance for a Ti version in the future.

Cheers,
- Paul
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

paulwa wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:30 pm
Howdy all,

Just wanted to let interested folks know that my production sample Ikuchi is in-bound and should be in-hand on Monday (3/4). So it won’t be long now till they hit the streets, probably sometime later this month...
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:37 am

Not sure it was nixed... I think they wanted to hit a more accessible price point (which I have no problem with), and there would have been a lot more development and validation needed for the handle integrated lock since my mock-ups show how it could be made, but that doesn’t mean it would translate well to the production capabilities and build queue at the factory. Who knows, if it’s popular, there could be a chance for a Ti version in the future.

Cheers,
- Paul
You can count on my support, I'll also be in line for a Ti version if they ever do it.

Can't wait!

-Thomas Jefferson
Somberseal

Post by Somberseal »

Hey guys,

After purchasing ikuchi for a few week ive been playing with it and found some problem in the design, i was wondering if anyone had the same problem?

the problem lays in location of the knife tip while in the folded position, if you were in a hurry enough and pressed your finger deep enough between the spacing, eventually ur finger will meet the end of the tip giving you some nicks

not exactly a deal breaker but something to be worried about i wasnt expecting to get nicks everytime i was in a hurry to pull my knife out of the pocket.

did you guys face similar problem or anyone can verify this?
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Vali.praj wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:30 am
Hey guys,

After purchasing ikuchi for a few week ive been playing with it and found some problem in the design, i was wondering if anyone had the same problem?

the problem lays in location of the knife tip while in the folded position, if you were in a hurry enough and pressed your finger deep enough between the spacing, eventually ur finger will meet the end of the tip giving you some nicks

not exactly a deal breaker but something to be worried about i wasnt expecting to get nicks everytime i was in a hurry to pull my knife out of the pocket.

Can verify.
Can also verify if you put your finger in your pocket in a hurry.. and the knife is twisted around.. you can slice your finger pretty good on it. Sliced my finger that way and the rough flipper wheel which has also been discussed previously
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Vali.praj wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:30 am
Hey guys,

Recommend you read through this thread. The issue has been discussed extensively and a couple of simple and effective solutions are recommended.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Yep I call it Ikuchi Finger.

IMHO it should never have been let out of the factory this way. Some people beef over the Military handle design but I have always appreciated the extra bit of handle and protection it affords.

Still that did not keep me from purchasing 2 of them. After getting cut a few times I am more careful with pocket placement but also for this same reason do not carry it as much as I would otherwise I have discovered.

I mean hey great design but who wants to get cut?

This just should not be and I really do not feel it is the customers place to have to modify a brand new knife to make it safe in the closed position.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Paul, in Eric's video with BHQ at Blade, I think he mentioned an improved bushing system. Do you know if that CQI is being pushed to the ikuchi?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:48 am
Paul, in Eric's video with BHQ at Blade, I think he mentioned an improved bushing system. Do you know if that CQI is being pushed to the ikuchi?
I think I remember in the vid Eric specifically mentioned the Ikuchi (and the Kapara) concerning that... but Paul will know more obviously.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

So, I broke down and got an Ikuchi. Love the design but I’m really not a fan of wire clips. They move around in use and dig in something awful. I thought about an aftermarket clip but not only would that run me almost $100 on top of a $200 knife, (Canadian), but they don’t appear to leave much clearance for a jeans pocket. Please tell me I’m wrong anyone who has one, I may still need one if my little add on modification doesn’t hold up.
I took a little piece of bocote I had lying around and made a little insert. It keeps the meat of my palm from being poked by the ends of the clip as much. It’s still noticeable but not nearly as bad. Seems to add a little rigidity to the clip as well.
859CD1F3-9B0E-49A9-AEAB-952C63836BEA.jpeg
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

spyderg wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:55 pm
So, I broke down and got an Ikuchi. Love the design but I’m really not a fan of wire clips. They move around in use and dig in something awful. I thought about an aftermarket clip but not only would that run me almost $100 on top of a $200 knife, (Canadian), but they don’t appear to leave much clearance for a jeans pocket. Please tell me I’m wrong anyone who has one, I may still need one if my little add on modification doesn’t hold up.
I took a little piece of bocote I had lying around and made a little insert. It keeps the meat of my palm from being poked by the ends of the clip as much. It’s still noticeable but not nearly as bad. Seems to add a little rigidity to the clip as well.859CD1F3-9B0E-49A9-AEAB-952C63836BEA.jpeg
I've never had a the wire clips dig, but have felt them flexing. Interesting mod. Let's us know how it works out after some use
Justin
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

That is a great mod, and with great potential!
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

It’s only been two days but so far the clip mod is working well.
Is it just me or does anyone else think Spyderco should make an Ikuchi mini and an Ikuchi Xl?
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?