Behold! The elusive "Dodofly"!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Behold! The elusive "Dodofly"!

Post by steelcity16 »

2019 needs to be the year of the "Dodofly"!! In keeping with the Dragonfly being an amazing platform for new blade shapes, I present to you, the "Dodofly"! :D This amazingly versatile little guy can rip through boxes, clamshell packaging, and fish and game bellies with ease, then turn around and chop up some carrots to go with your rabbit stew!

I would love to see this in both PE and SE H1 Salt versions!

Edit: I would also add Jester-like Jimping to the front-top of the spine for added traction.

option a

option b (elongated blade)

Last edited by steelcity16 on Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ladybug93

Re: Behold! The elusive "Dodofly"!

Post by ladybug93 »

yes. spyderco, i’ll be one of the first backers on kickstarter if that’s what it takes.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would rather see it look more like the Lil’ Matriarch blade.

I love my Lil’ Matriarch and couldn’t ever learn to love my Dodo.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Dr. Moreau, you are messing with very nature of life itself. It’s an abomination! Send it back to your island.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:35 am
I would rather see it look more like the Lil’ Matriarch blade.

I love my Lil’ Matriarch and couldn’t ever learn to love my Dodo.

See my other thread on the Reverse S Dragonfly. Lol. Looks more like that and is based on the old reverse S Meerkats.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

SF Native wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:52 am

Dr. Moreau, you are messing with very nature of life itself. It’s an abomination! Send it back to your island.

I can't help myself! And if I am being honest, I would add the Jester's forward spine Jimping to the top this as well! That would be one beautiful abomination! :D
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey "Steelcity" that's a really cool idea you've got there. But I have two minor objections but I'm sure those can be worked out. First off I would not want that type of a blade with an FRN handle. I think it should be in the same league as the original Dodo and should have a really good CPM blade steel like S90V, S110V, M-4 or whatever you all might think would be good. As far as a handle goes I don't see how you can go wrong with a G-10 handle like the original Dodo had. Although I wouldn't be opposed to a Carbon Fiber handle either. I've found that knives with smaller blades do better with a high quality handle that is really grippy.

Second I would also like to stay with the Ball Bearing Lock. That Dodo model in my opinion was just made for that locking system. I've learned to one hand all my Dodo models over the years and this one shouldn't be any different. But overall I think you've got a great idea and I'm in all the way.
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Yes, please. Do you see the blade as having the same length as the “dragon hawk”?
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'd take one of these in g-10, and a ffg Matriarch Fly in FRN.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:57 pm
Hey "Steelcity" that's a really cool idea you've got there. But I have two minor objections but I'm sure those can be worked out. First off I would not want that type of a blade with an FRN handle. I think it should be in the same league as the original Dodo and should have a really good CPM blade steel like S90V, S110V, M-4 or whatever you all might think would be good. As far as a handle goes I don't see how you can go wrong with a G-10 handle like the original Dodo had. Although I wouldn't be opposed to a Carbon Fiber handle either. I've found that knives with smaller blades do better with a high quality handle that is really grippy.

Second I would also like to stay with the Ball Bearing Lock. That Dodo model in my opinion was just made for that locking system. I've learned to one hand all my Dodo models over the years and this one shouldn't be any different. But overall I think you've got a great idea and I'm in all the way.
do you not find spyderco's frn to be high quality and grippy? i think it's more grippy than g10 and the quality is just fine. i prefer the looks of g10, but it's hard to be mad about the frn in my experience.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:41 am
2019 needs to be the year of the "Dodofly"!! In keeping with the Dragonfly being an amazing platform for new blade shapes, I present to you, the "Dodofly"! :D This amazingly versatile little guy can rip through boxes, clamshell packaging, and fish and game bellies with ease, then turn around and chop up some carrots to go with your rabbit stew!

I would love to see this in both PE and SE H1 Salt versions!

Edit: I would also add Jester-like Jimping to the front-top of the spine for added traction.

option a

option b (elongated blade)

That is strangely appealing to me. I'd buy one, especially in that color.
Tims

Post by Tims »

Great idea, would be a great little drop in the pocket utility blade.
Would only be interested in frn and PE. I can’t see the use in SE for a blade this size that is essentially 2 big serrations anyway.
Last edited by Tims on Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
araneae

Post by araneae »

But will it fit in the handle?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

araneae wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:18 pm

But will it fit in the handle?

I am sure they would have no problem making a Dodo shaped head that fits as well as or better than the hawkbill Dragonfly.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

man, i was definitely set for dragonflies, but i actually really want this knife, especially if it was in h1. i don’t even care what color scales it has.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:26 pm
JD Spydo wrote:

do you not find spyderco's frn to be high quality and grippy? i think it's more grippy than g10 and the quality is just fine. i prefer the looks of g10, but it's hard to be mad about the frn in my experience.
I agree. The FRN is more "grippy" and I prefer it to G10 many times for that very reason.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:15 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:26 pm
JD Spydo wrote:

I agree. The FRN is more "grippy" and I prefer it to G10 many times for that very reason.

Agreed! I am ALL about texture and grip and FRN provides the best! And its light weight, takes less damage from drops, keys, etc. and its a lot cheaper, especially when coming out of Japan. At one point my Spyderco collection was largely G10 models. It currently sits at 14 to 1 FRN to G10! :D
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Ngati Pom wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:13 pm
Yes, please. Do you see the blade as having the same length as the “dragon hawk”?

Yes, I would think that a straight line from the tip of the blade to the end of the choil would be the same as the Hawkbill Dragonfly in order to fit ideally in the handle while maximizing blade length.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:48 pm

man, i was definitely set for dragonflies, but i actually really want this knife, especially if it was in h1. i don’t even care what color scales it has.

I know. I really feel like this would be the most versatile Dragonfly blade shape. This really needs to happen.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The renewed interest in the Cricket is making me really want a Dodofly and a Reverse S Dragonfly. I really think both of these would do quite well. The Dragonfly is super popular right now with the recent Wharnie and Teal S30V releases.