HRC Database

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
David R

Re: HRC Database

Post by David R »

Great thread. No question Kurt and David from BB are doing us a huge service. I'd be happy to get another spreadsheet going with all the results and some graphs. Is there value unless these can all be substantiated?
koenigsegg wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:48 pm
Maybe I'll just fill in HRC data to the cut test list below

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... G4tug/edit
Already done. The Cedric & Ada data has the BladeBanter HRC data integrated. I can look at adding the other results mentioned here, but without some substantiation it needs to be considered anecdotal.
Last edited by David R on Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

David R wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:31 pm
Great thread. No question Kurt and David from BB are doing us a huge service. I'd be happy to get another spreadsheet going with all the results and some graphs. Is there value unless these can all be substantiated?

For those asking about getting these lined up with cut tests, the Cedric & Ada spreadsheet has some HRC data mapped to cut test results. It's only using the BB data so far.
I'm always happy to have more data points.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Hey guys I just like being able to have all the references, I don't always realize all the issues with crossing streams
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

David R wrote:
koenigsegg wrote:

Already done. The Cedric & Ada data has the BladeBanter HRC data integrated. I can look at adding the other results mentioned here, but without some substantiation it needs to be considered anecdotal.
Most of it is substantiated by JcoolG19 who did the majority of these tests. How ever, it's not my goal to substantiate the numbers. As stated in the first post these numbers are approximations and corrections and additions are always welcome. This list should NEVER be considered the last word on a particular knives heat treat. In fact outside of testing your own individual knife, I would say there is no way to tell what it is. But hopefully these numbers will give people a general idea or ballpark.
Last edited by ZrowsN1s on Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
David R

Post by David R »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:54 am
David R wrote:
koenigsegg wrote:

Most of it is substantiated by JcoolG19 who did the majority of these tests. How ever, it's not my goal to substantiate the numbers. As stated in the first post these numbers are approximations and corrections a d addictions are always welcome. This list should NEVER be considered the last word on a particular knives heat treat. In fact outside of testing your own individual knife, I would say there is no way to tell whatvit is. But hopefully these numbers will give people a general idea or ballpark.
I'm not worried about variability between tests. I'm concerned about including data that somebody posts here without knowing and verifying the results from the source. I don't mean to imply that the data is bad. I just don't know that it's good based on a post in this forum. The JcoolG19 data is being moved into the BladeBanter spreadsheet and I'm confident about that HRC data. If I can verify some of the other data posted in this thread I'm happy to include it as well. It will likely just take a little homework on my part.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

As far as I know *edit-most- numbers posted can ultimately be attributed to one of three sources... testing done by Kurt for people I know on IG, Ankersons BF list, and the BB spreadsheet. That being said I'm sure I'll get some stuff wrong. I try to be as accurate as I can.
Last edited by ZrowsN1s on Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ferider

Post by ferider »

Most of the Mule numbers come from JLS. Some numbers come from Sal himself.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

ferider wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:17 pm
Most of the Mule numbers come from JLS. Some numbers come from Sal himself.
I forgot those thanks :D

David R

Post by David R »

I believe the BB spreadsheet is exclusively tests from Kurt. I could be wrong and hope they correct me if so.

The Mule numbers in the BB spreadsheet come from Kurt. I know this because they're my Mules. Have a few more to send him. If you're referring to other Mule numbers I'll take a look.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I also forgot Frankie Blades at Tactical Pterodactyl. A few of these are from his tests as well. He just posted some testing pics up on Instagram of Maxamet. The new PM2 @68 hrc and a pic of the Manix LW @69 hrc.

AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Useful.
Anyway has any updates on this thread?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

AlexRus wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:05 am
Useful.
Anyway has any updates on this thread?
Haven't seen any new testing done or had anyone report numbers to me here, so nope.

I did add a little to the disclaimer on the first page.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

You've got my vote. Really when you think it over it just makes perfect sense. I also think it would be a great information tool for the consumer to make a better, more informed choice. Because I'm doubtful if any other knife company would take the initiative to do something like that. Spyderco could truly make this to their advantage in many ways.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Anyone get their Province tested yet? I'm curious to see if Spyderco ran them as hard as their CPM 4V folders.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I see no reference to H1 in this list. Perhaps Sal’s comments on H1’s hardness(es) should be included?

Responding in BladeForums (post #16 in https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/h1- ... ost4484958), Sal said:

“When the foundry rolls the H1, they roll to two different hardness, we end up with 58 for the blade material and considerably lower spec for the lock material. Not meaning to be disrespectful, but the two hardnesses are controlled by the rolling process.

“Dick Barber, metallurgist for Crucible steels was curious as to why the H1 steel was testing so well and wanted to do metallurgical testing on the material. We sent them samples and they did their tests. In their micro hardness testing, they found the H1 was differentially hardening. Their explanation was as I described.

“The were getting over 60 (64/65 as I remembber the report) at the edge of the blade, 58 at the spine and various hardness in between as they went from the spine to the edge.

“The serrted edge version was higher (68 as I remember) which Mr. Barber attributed to the extra "work" (heat) required to serrate the edge over just sharpening as on the plain edge.”
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Kyle8734

Post by Kyle8734 »

Had two knives tested a while back by Kurt-
Delica M390- 61.4 and 61.8
Urban AEB-L- 59.1 and 59.3
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

BBB's k390 pm2: 63.5 HRC (average of 5 readings).

Taken from his thread.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Hey guys sorry, been busy with the new job, I'll update the list with the new info when I get a minute. Thanks for posting :spyder: :D

Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Kyle8734 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:46 pm
That's interesting - about the same hardness that Mora runs their 12C27.

I would have guessed mine was a little harder, by the feel on the stones. I would have thought they'd aim target hardness in the 60-62 range. I think Sal mentioned their AEB-L mule proto was in that range.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Cambertree wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:00 am
Kyle8734 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:46 pm
That's interesting - about the same hardness that Mora runs their 12C27.

I would have guessed mine was a little harder, by the feel on the stones. I would have thought they'd aim target hardness in the 60-62 range. I think Sal mentioned their AEB-L mule proto was in that range.
It seems that some of the Mules are run harder, which makes sense, since they were meant for testing essentially. The K390 Pm2 and Para 3 were run softer than the P4, and if I'm not mistaken, the Mule had an even higher hrc than the P4. The Zdp-189 knives were supposedly run harder a few years ago than they are now. How accurate that is, I don't know, but there appears to be a trend, at least with some of the more exotic steels, of being run softer as time goes on. I have to wonder how much of that is a result of knives being sent in for repairs, broken blades or other, similar issues.