Reverse S Dragonfly?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Reverse S Dragonfly?

Post by steelcity16 »

With all of the love the Dragonfly is getting with the two new models, I was thinking that a "Reverse S" Dragonfly would be a great one to add to the lineup next! I think the upcoming Dodo exclusive will renew interest in the "Reverse S" blade shape, but having that shape in a small, inexpensive, lightweight, and popular model like the Dragonfly will make this shape accessible to everyone. I'd love to see this in both Plain Edge and Full Spyderedge.

I know they did a Reverse S Meerkat (see below) many years ago, but I think a Dragonfly would be an ideal model given the popularity and variety of blade shapes.

On a side note, what the heck is that fixed blade at the bottom?? :confused: Looks like a Meerkat and a Kiridashi had a baby! :D

:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ZrowsN1s

Re: Reverse S Dragonfly?

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'd buy one. And a PE hawkbill too.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I like hawkbill shapes for some tasks but I find that they are a little too specialized for me and lack versatility. The reverse s shape is a lot more useful to me. It has the tip of s hawkbill (which is the most useful area for me) but that bit of Straight edge/belly back by the heel can be very useful. Much more so for me than a hawkbill. I’d love to see a reverse s dragonfly. How about a reverse s Paramilitary? I’m not saying I saw one one of those at blade...but I’m not saying I didn’t either. :cool:
A.S.O.K.A

Post by A.S.O.K.A »

I vote yes on the reverse S blade shape for the dragonfly.
Every Steel Has Its Appeal :cool:

A.S.O.K.A Edge on Youtube
jdw

Post by jdw »

I love the PE reverse 'S' shape. It is incredibly versatile and I keep pot banging (along with a couple of other folks) that the lil Matriarch is the most underrated EDC in the Spyderco lineup. So sign me up for two D'flys and pretty much any regular production Spydie platform they will put the blade shape on.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
juggler

Post by juggler »

I'd love a SE reverse S Dragonfly
Attachments
Dfly.jpg
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

juggler wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:53 am

I was thinking more of the shape of the Meerkats in the photo I posted. A wider tip and more belly.
Last edited by steelcity16 on Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Tims

Post by Tims »

Reverse S everything
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:16 am
juggler wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:53 am

I was thinking more of the shape of the Meerkats in the photo I posted. A wider tip and more belly.
I would vote for something in between but closer to that dragonfly juggler posted. The meerkat doesn’t have enough “hook” to really grab material but that dragonfly might be a just a little thin in the tip for edc use.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Someone who finds this blade shape useful should make a video of its uses, so people like me could get some use out of them. It’s like a combo edge. Not enough of either edge.
- best wishes, Jazz.
juggler

Post by juggler »

steelcity16 wrote:
A wider tip and more belly.
Surfingringo wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:19 am
I would vote for something in between

Tough crowd :)
Attachments
Dfly2.jpg
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hi Jazz, my feeling is that hawkbills are mainly designed for pull cuts. If you are performing pullouts with a hawkbill (that is an more or less an upside down half moon shape) then the half of the blade from the center to the heel is essentially useless for pull cuts and is therefore wasted space. A reverse s replaces that part of the blade with a useful section of bellied straight edge. May not Be perfect for all cuts but it has far more usefulness for me than the back half of a hawkbill. Opinions will vary based on user and uses but that’s the way I’ve always seen it.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

juggler wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:49 am
steelcity16 wrote:
A wider tip and more belly.
Surfingringo wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:19 am
I would vote for something in between

Tough crowd :)
Beautiful! I would be all over a knife like that!
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Jazz wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:32 am
Someone who finds this blade shape useful should make a video of its uses, so people like me could get some use out of them. It’s like a combo edge. Not enough of either edge.
I’ve carried my reverse S Meerkat a bunch. Never found it to be a handicap. It’s less fiddly for starting cuts opening packages and bubble packs (much like hawkbills) than normal shapes.

The “stubby” S of the Meerkat I think is more versatile than the longer S on the lil matriarch. You can get the belly into things.

As far as the idea of doing this on the Dragonfly platform... I guess? The Meerkat imo has a better handle. If someone said Chaparral that might get my gears turning though.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:52 am
Hi Jazz, my feeling is that hawkbills are mainly designed for pull cuts. If you are performing pullouts with a hawkbill (that is an more or less an upside down half moon shape) then the half of the blade from the center to the heel is essentially useless for pull cuts and is therefore wasted space. A reverse s replaces that part of the blade with a useful section of bellied straight edge. May not Be perfect for all cuts but it has far more usefulness for me than the back half of a hawkbill. Opinions will vary based on user and uses but that’s the way I’ve always seen it.

That is my feeling as well. I can sink the tip in something for a pull cut, but the belly makes it easier to perform push cuts or something like chopping a carrot. It's more versatile than a hawkbill Dragonfly in my opinion. And I LOVE my Spyderhawk, and Tasman Salt. I have a Dragonfly Hawkbill Salt incoming, but I would have bought a Dragonfly with the Reverse S shape seen on the Meerkats over that one. I would buy one each in PE and SE.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

zhyla wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:57 am
Jazz wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:32 am
I’ve carried my reverse S Meerkat a bunch. Never found it to be a handicap. It’s less fiddly for starting cuts opening packages and bubble packs (much like hawkbills) than normal shapes.

The “stubby” S of the Meerkat I think is more versatile than the longer S on the lil matriarch. You can get the belly into things.

Yes, great for shape for opening packages. I really have no desire for the long S Lil Matriarch even though I love the Delica handle and platform. The "stubby" reverse S shape from the Meerkat though would be insta-buys on the Dragonfly. Even more so if they were H1 SE and PE Salts.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

like this...bet y'all didn't know I was a professional photoshopper (err...Paint 3Der), huh?? :D

Last edited by steelcity16 on Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

and here is the DLC version...i'm really diggin this black/blue combo! :D

steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

last one...made the blade a little longer on this one...I quite like it! :) These would be amazingly versatile and useful little knives. I think this would be my favorite version of the Dragonfly if they made them in H1 SE and H1 PE salt form.

Last edited by steelcity16 on Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am not sold on the reverse S design, but I might be missing something. Or, perhaps it is because it does not fit into my lifestyle.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050