Sun and Moon Chaparall :O !!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ABX2011

Re: Sun and Moon Chaparall :O !!!

Post by ABX2011 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:32 am
And I think wirh the grey FRN and the CF there are already two versions many people should be (more than) ok with designwise.
What if Spyderco were to produce a different style and color weave for the CF version? That one has been around a long time.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Different carbon fiber weave was all the rage a few years ago. There was lightning strike, red or blue thread, and the like. It seems to not be in fashion, now, for some reason, as it really looks good.

I would rather have polished G10 or micarta, with G10 bolsters in a different color. Bone, done right, would be cool, too. Bone would need to be stabilized in some fashion, I would think, in order to make it thin enough.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

How about honeycomb C-Tek?
jdw

Post by jdw »

I really like the new design, especially coming out of Taichung. It's a nod to multiple Asian religions and balance in general. I think that it is very cool and very graceful.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
sal

Post by sal »

Hi ABX,

We looked into that and felt it was quite expensive at the time. We can look into it again. It does make an awesome handle material.

sal
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

ABX2011 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:49 am
How about honeycomb C-Tek?
I showed Sal my Ctek Chap a few years back (the blue G10/black Ctek one on the previous pages) at the Oregon Knife Show. He really liked it since he has a thing for beekeeping. When they tried to source the material, it was too expensive, that’s why they chose the Raffir Noble material. So you can say I’m to blame for that...

I’ll mention again that at this year’s show, there were a half dozen Chaps with several types of handle scales (composite woods, etc.), so I think they’re definitely interested in running the model in the future with some really cool looking materials! Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Not a big fan of the chap but c-tek or brass/stainless steel/copper would change my mind
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:07 am
Not a big fan of the chap but c-tek or brass/stainless steel/copper would change my mind

I like the sound of copper or brass!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
RadioactiveSpyder

Copper and brass scales will make the Chap too heavy IMHO, not in keeping with the lightness of carry the lil guys. Just my two cents... :)

I recommend anyone looking for a metal Chap, try to find the stealth Ti model. Another run with a cool Ti design would be amazing.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
SG89

Post by SG89 »

What if the copper or brass scale was thin and the liner was thicker? Still too heavy?
Spydergirl88
RadioactiveSpyder

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:57 am
What if the copper or brass scale was thin and the liner was thicker? Still too heavy?
Hi SG88, I think any combo of SS liners and brass/copper scales will tip the scales unfavorably. That’s the beauty of Ti - no liners! :D
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Alright then :(
CTek it is!
Spydergirl88
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:04 am

Alright then :(
CTek it is!

Nah, I've never seen Sal say that the Chap had to weigh under a certain amount. Copper and Brass would be amazing! Keep the faith! :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:31 am
I would rather have polished G10 or micarta, with G10 bolsters in a different color. Bone, done right, would be cool, too. Bone would need to be stabilized in some fashion, I would think, in order to make it thin enough.
That sounds good too.
There's a product I saw on a knife recenty - carbon fiber shred with copper bits mixed in. Looks cool without the weight of copper.
RadioactiveSpyder

ABX2011 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:09 am
That sounds good too.
There's a product I saw on a knife recenty - carbon fiber shred with copper bits mixed in. Looks cool without the weight of copper.
I’d definitely be into the copper shred CF!! I never said Sal wouldn’t run a heavy Chap, I just said it doesn’t seem in keeping with its lightweight character.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

There was a prototype chap in bronze (or maybe it was brass?) but it never came to fruition and if I remember correctly the reason was cost and not weight.

The Chap is so small/thin and the scales are so thin that I do not see one with brass scales being too heavy. Certainly not as heavy as many of the ti framelocks we carry.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I would not buy copper or brass. The upkeep is too much for too little return and they make for a heavy knife. CTek is great stuff. Pine Cone, Corn Cob, and etc. make for extraordinary looking knives. Stag is nice and so is bone, but are heavy and might have to be stabilized (I think) in order to be cut so thin, but look really great. Case does beautiful bone. Perhaps old worn dark red bone, or chestnut bone?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Unadan

Post by Unadan »

Anyone have any idea of pricing for the sun/moon version - more than regular CF Chaparral?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The recent thread about a damascus Chap (not really for me), reminded me of that "sun and moon" G10 version...

Man, I so hope we'll see this in the next reveal... :rolleyes:
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
buckleys

Post by buckleys »

Sold my regular FRN chapparal a while back, itching to get one of these. Wish they woulda had one with both sides with the white/red G10, that would look cool.