The Dodo 2019

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
imjohnsmith

Re: The Dodo 2019

Post by imjohnsmith »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:16 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:41 am
Who's up for a Dodo Sprint next year? :D
Good things come to those who wait :D
:D
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I'd love to get my hands on a dodo!!! I'm definitely in for one
Tims

Post by Tims »

The Dodo is one of the ‘before my time’ models I’ve been praying comes back around. I only hope the release isn’t limited to the BHQ m4 version and theres a stainless model too.

Can anyone confirm there’ll be a stainless version?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Tims wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:32 am
The Dodo is one of the ‘before my time’ models I’ve been praying comes back around. I only hope the release isn’t limited to the BHQ m4 version and theres a stainless model too.

If you want one, I'm betting this is going to be your only chance.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Tims

Post by Tims »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:28 am
Tims wrote:

Bugger
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Is the Dodo made in Golden?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Yes
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I hope BHQ does a DLC full Spyderedged version as well.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:48 am
I hope BHQ does a DLC full Spyderedged version as well.
Well if this sells out as quickly as some of the other offerings. Who knows. If it sticks around like the Lum did, probably not.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
AH2525

Post by AH2525 »

Just looked at the prototype at BLADE while chatting with Eric and it is a beautiful piece.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I am getting me one of these for sure.
And the coincidence is insane!
A blue Dodo just came in the mail this morning :p

A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Please tell me that anyone can ship it to me if BHQ won't ship to the Netherlands :')
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tims wrote:

If the timeline holds true he'll be able to buy the next sprint in 2026. Original was discontinued in late 2005, Orange/CF came around in mid 2012 and the new sprint seems like a late 2019 release.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

spoonrobot wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:36 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tims wrote:

If the timeline holds true he'll be able to buy the next sprint in 2026. Original was discontinued in late 2005, Orange/CF came around in mid 2012 and the new sprint seems like a late 2019 release.
:D

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Brother "ZROW" this is more than just a Sprint Run>> this is going to have to go to higher ground. Yes the Dodo should come back as a mainstream model for the main line up. The popularity that has been generated for the Dodo model has gotten so high that I'm hearing of 2003 era models going as high as $380 from what one of my sources told me.

That's just not fair to Spyderco's constant fans and the knife buying pubic in general. If the demand is that high then how could Spyderco possibly lose?
No they would have a model in their main line up that would sell just as good or maybe better than some of the permanent models currently do.

If they would ramp it up and use a newer/better blade steel and offer it in at least 3 different handle materials I do believe it could sell almost as good as a Delica with premium blade steel. Because like the Hawkbills the more people that learn how useful this model is the more people that are going to ultimately want one. Even if they would run the Dodo for at least a year I think my point could be proven.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

The Dodo, while very high in value on the secondary market, has always had an overstated selling price.

Sure Dodos get listed for $380, $400, etc. but they rarely sell for that, if at all. There's a couple at Blade that have been sitting at $400 and I'm sure there's a few gun stores, knife stores and pawn shops with them priced the same. I'd wager they won't sell and will stay in the dusty case next to the $500 Phoenix and $300 white Endura.

EBay isn't the final arbiter of price for anything but I'd wager it's a rare day when the eBay price is higher than the current street price, whatever that is for a model that only ever had a few thousand pieces made. Here's the link for sold eBay listings back to mid-March: Link

I miss my Dodo collection, the recession pretty much wiped me out and all these moved on to other people's collections.

Anyway, I'm slowly building back up my collection and very excited for the Dodo sprint :)
Tims

Post by Tims »

spoonrobot wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:36 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tims wrote:

I’ll start saving, at about $10/yr it’s a bargain. Can you imagine what steel we’d get in 2026?

Beggars can’t be choosers, I can live with m4 but being a BHQ exclusive I’m not sure I can swallow their $50 shipping to Australia.

Anyway, good to see the old classics roll back around.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I will buy this one if BHQ promises a fully Spyderedged DLC coated follow up version shortly after this one. Then I will buy that one as well! :D I mean if they are going to bring back the Dodo, they really need to do both a PE and SE. So just make the SE a DLC version to cover both sets of buyers!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

spoonrobot wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:25 am
The Dodo, while very high in value on the secondary market, has always had an overstated selling price.

Sure Dodos get listed for $380, $400, etc. but they rarely sell for that, if at all. There's a couple at Blade that have been sitting at $400 and I'm sure there's a few gun stores, knife stores and pawn shops with them priced the same. I'd wager they won't sell and will stay in the dusty case next to the $500 Phoenix and $300 white Endura.

EBay isn't the final arbiter of price for anything but I'd wager it's a rare day when the eBay price is higher than the current street price, whatever that is for a model that only ever had a few thousand pieces made. Here's the link for sold eBay listings back to mid-March: Link

I miss my Dodo collection, the recession pretty much wiped me out and all these moved on to other people's collections.

Anyway, I'm slowly building back up my collection and very excited for the Dodo sprint :)
Well I'm not necessarily disputing what you're saying but getting one at a decent price is getting difficult. About 4 months ago I put out the word on Bladeforums that I was looking for a Spyderedged Dodo model. I was contacted by two people>> one wanted $250 for one NIB and another guy wanted $190 for one that was slightly used. Needless to say I'm still looking for a Spyderedged Dodo. I have a couple of the plain edge for users but I traded away the last SE Dodo I have about 4 years ago thinking I could get another one easy but it has not been easy to locate one much less find one at a reasonable price.

To make a long story short with a good ending>> they can cure this problem by just bringing back both the PE & SE Dodo.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:31 am
Brother "ZROW" this is more than just a Sprint Run>> this is going to have to go to higher ground. Yes the Dodo should come back as a mainstream model for the main line up. The popularity that has been generated for the Dodo model has gotten so high that I'm hearing of 2003 era models going as high as $380 from what one of my sources told me.

That's just not fair to Spyderco's constant fans and the knife buying pubic in general. If the demand is that high then how could Spyderco possibly lose?
No they would have a model in their main line up that would sell just as good or maybe better than some of the permanent models currently do.

If they would ramp it up and use a newer/better blade steel and offer it in at least 3 different handle materials I do believe it could sell almost as good as a Delica with premium blade steel. Because like the Hawkbills the more people that learn how useful this model is the more people that are going to ultimately want one. Even if they would run the Dodo for at least a year I think my point could be proven.
I'd love to see it in regular production. As I said, the demand on this will likely shape that.