Improving detent on GB2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Meat man

Re: Improving detent on GB2

Post by The Meat man »

Welcome to the forum JossCarter!

Unfortunately I don't have much advice to give but here is a link to a thread which might prove helpful:

viewtopic.php?t=82412
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Sharp Guy

Re: Improving detent on GB2

Post by Sharp Guy »

JossCarter wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:56 pm
Hello All,

New here. I have a GB2 with a bit of what I think is a weak detent. Despite that, it is still my favorite Spydie to carry. Does anyone have experience swapping detent balls or would anyone suggest sending back to spyderco for a possible solution.

Thanks!
Welcome Joss. You can certainly try the W&R department but I'm not sure they'd fix it. It probably depends on just how weak the detent is. If it's dangerously weak then they'd likely replace the knife rather than actually repair it. If it's just kind of weak my guess is they'd probably say it's within spec and send it back to you.

If you decide to try to correct it yourself do take a look at the thread that Connor linked to above. Just remember to only remove a little material at a time and take the time to reassemble and try it before going any further. Also, before you go grinding away at the detent hole take a good look at the detent ball itself. My Mantra had a pretty light detent and I took it apart with the plan to open the detent hole a little. Once apart I found that the detent ball had a big flat spot on it. I popped it out with a little punch, flipped it over, and then pressed it back in with my arbor press. I put it back together and tested and the detent is much improved. I no longer feel the need to mess with the detent hole.

One last thing, keep in mind that when you do modifications to a knife like we're talking about you lose any future warranty claims. Even if you really can't tell there were modifications done it's likely the folks in the warranty department with know. I would certainly hope you would do the right thing and not try to send it in for warranty in the first place knowing full well that it's been modified.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!