What did you use your Spyderco for last?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Meat man

Re: What did you use your Spyderco for last?

Post by The Meat man »

Hey steelcity16, I had thrown out the original bucket so I cut another one in half just for you: ;)

- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:56 am
Hey steelcity16, I had thrown out the original bucket so I cut another one in half just for you: ;)

Woah!! :eek: Was it like a hot knife through butter or what? I'm kind of amazed to be honest. I feel like it would wedge in there and get stuck a lot. Are those buckets as thick as the Lowes and Home Depot buckets?? Now I'm going to have to try this when I get home. Lol.

For your next trick I'm gonna need you to slice a pallet in half... diagonally :)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That really is impressive Connor! I would have never thought to even attempt that. No problem, even through those ridges?? How did you start, right from the top and just slice downward? I'm kind of mind blown honestly haha.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:05 am
That really is impressive Connor! I would have never thought to even attempt that. No problem, even through those ridges?? How did you start, right from the top and just slice downward? I'm kind of mind blown honestly haha.

Seriously. I mean I've carved up countless milk jugs, motor oil jugs, laundry detergent jugs, etc with zero issues, but this is another level. Paint buckets are probably 3 times as thick as any of those, then you have the ridges and the bottom as you said. Seriously going to be trying this myself later. I need to experience this in the first person. :)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:00 am
The Meat man wrote:

Woah!! :eek: Was it like a hot knife through butter or what? I'm kind of amazed to be honest. I feel like it would wedge in there and get stuck a lot. Are those buckets as thick as the Lowes and Home Depot buckets?? Now I'm going to have to try this when I get home. Lol.
These are food grade buckets (they still smell faintly of jalapeño slices). They're thick and tough - I've loaded one up with 240 lbs of steel parts and it held together fine, handle and all - but I don't know how they would compare to other buckets.
Cutting through it was pretty easy actually, all things considered. I just pierced through with the point, then held the knife steady with one hand and pushed down hard on the spine with the other. It slid smoothly through the thick plastic, ridges and all. It's a pretty thin knife with a thin edge bevel, so it didn't bind up much.
The knife is still hair popping sharp btw.

For your next trick I'm gonna need you to slice a pallet in half... diagonally :)
Ha ha! If you want to see a picture of that I might need to get Bloke's help. :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
PStone

Post by PStone »

Now that’s a bucket challenge! Gonna have to try that :spyder:
PStone

Post by PStone »

#themeatmanchallenge
#spydercobucketchallenge
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

👍
Love seeing these blades in action!
PStone

Post by PStone »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:10 pm
👍
Ditto! I enjoy all of your photos with the Hap40 Endura. That thing does more in a weekend than I do all month!! It may very well be my next purchase. Mainly from seeing your pics :spyder:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:21 pm
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
👍
Ditto! I enjoy all of your photos with the Hap40 Endura. That thing does more in a weekend than I do all month!! It may very well be my next purchase. Mainly from seeing your pics :spyder:
Do yourself a favor and get the HAP40 Endura indeed!!
I don't have Connors zoome-handle-version, but the burnt orange one (and personally like that color better, but it's all about the steel anyway): Amazing knife, really!!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Cut open my baguette with my 30 year old Police Model.

PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
👍
Thank you DirtMcGirt! I hope people don't get tired of seeing it. I've been carrying it for two months now and it still has the factory edge, still able to draw cut through phonebook paper. When it comes time to sharpen I'll probably thin it out quite a bit. I honestly don't often use my knife for rough tasks.

Until Spyderco produces a 5"-6" LW folder, this CS Endura may be THE knife for me. I've considered jumping on a Police LW when they become available, but I'm not sure it'll be that much more different than the Endura.

...I really want to cut a bucket in half now!
😁
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

The Meat man wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:07 pm
a temporary oil pan.
The Meat man wrote:
DirtMcGirt wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:57 pm
Very impressive, Brethren! :cool:

But, it looks like you both cheated because I can't see that the steel handles have been cut and I wonder did these oil pans leak? :p

P.S. Connor, if you do cut a pallet in half diagonally please post pictures. I'm really struggling with this one. Ah, hahaha! :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
#themeatmanchallenge
#spydercobucketchallenge
Nice! :D
- Connor

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:42 pm
DirtMcGirt wrote:
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
👍
Do yourself a favor and get the HAP40 Endura indeed!!
I don't have Connors zoome-handle-version, but the burnt orange one (and personally like that color better, but it's all about the steel anyway): Amazing knife, really!!
Actually it's not my Endura Wartstein, it belongs to PeaceInOurTime. ;)
- Connor

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:45 pm

Very impressive, Brethren! :cool:

But, it looks like you both cheated because I can't see that the steel handles have been cut and I wonder did these oil pans leak? :p

P.S. Connor, if you do cut a pallet in half diagonally please post pictures. I'm really struggling with this one. Ah, hahaha! :)
I can't believe this! I thought surely you'd have had a gif of someone cutting a pallet in half with a knife ready on hand. :p :D
- Connor

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Connor has now reached legend status!! :cool: :p
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:22 pm
Connor has now reached legend status!! :cool: :p
Ha ha! Maybe if I did it with a Manbug! :D
- Connor

steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

DirtMcGirt wrote:

#themeatmanchallenge
#spydercobucketchallenge

Getting enough leverage on the Native to get through those thick ridges was no walk in in park! :eek: Might retry this with my Rex45 Military that I am thinking about selling. If it works better than the Native I'll keep it. Never know when I'll need to cut a bucket it half again!!! :D

JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

The Meat man wrote:

You're the one who put that siiiick edge on a police right? That's pretty darn amazing lol
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara