The Spyderco Earth- a knife made from 100% recycled materials

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
demoncase

The Spyderco Earth- a knife made from 100% recycled materials

Post by demoncase »

So, I had a daft thought while stuck in traffic*:

Spyderco do all kinds of dedicated models with charitable focus and output (Pink handles for breast cancer etc).
Spyderco do all kinds of other great things for folks of all kinds and show levels of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) that are humbling.

With that ball rolling- to show a commitment to sustainability and environmentalism: How about a knife made from 100% recycled materials?

It'd definitely by do-able for the handle materials- recycled polymers and aluminium offer some scope there
I'm not sure if anyone offers 100% recycled steel- and if they do, possibly not in a sensible blade steel.
Hardware and fittings are probably a challenge too....

With a goal of demonstrating a minimal environmental impact, I'd love to see what the Golden team could do if they ran with the idea.
Would it be a sprint of a common and popular model like the Delica?
Would it be some new design to maximise the materials available?

I thought it might be called a Spyderco Earth (Naming's the hard bit of knife design, right? :rolleyes: )

*Apologies- it took me 2 hours to travel 35 miles and I was starting to chew the steering wheel a bit :D
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
A.S.O.K.A

Re: The Spyderco Earth- a knife made from 100% recycled materials

Post by A.S.O.K.A »

In terms of steel ( hardware and blade) I would suggest spring steel from vehicles from the scrapyard. If Forged In Fire competitors can make competition blades from those, spyderco should have no real worries doing it too (:
Every Steel Has Its Appeal :cool:

A.S.O.K.A Edge on Youtube
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'm not entirely sure about powder steels but there are very few non recycled ingot steels. I can only think of a couple used in knives like some of Hitachi's. White steel? Maybe. Most every steel manufacturer uses recycled steel to some degree. Some blend recycled with new steel made from ore. Isn't steel the most recycled product of all?

I'd be out if Aluminum is used. I hate it on knife handles.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Great idea! While it has appeal the devil will be in the details. I’m guessing quality control would be a barrier and there could be liability issues in the event of any kind of problem.
All the negativity aside I would love to see this happen.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Did someone say "rubbish" micarta handles? Made out of chopped up cloth scraps and resin!

The handles would look like carpet pad, lol!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I think this is an awesome idea! The Victorinox plant recycles or uses almost anything having to do with production. I'd love to have a Spyderco knife like that!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Exactly!
A.S.O.K.A wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:01 pm
In terms of steel ( hardware and blade) I would suggest spring steel from vehicles from the scrapyard. If Forged In Fire competitors can make competition blades from those, spyderco should have no real worries doing it too (:
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

MNOSD member 0032
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Can micarta be made from cow (or steer) manure? Now that would be something!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Can micarta be made from cow (or steer) manure?
Dunno about that. Won't go inquiring either. :)

Bamboo ( or a commercially grown wood) laminate grips.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

this is a really cool idea. unfortunately, companies tend to charge way for items like this, making it hard to justify choosing them, even if you care about the cause. for example, a popular outdoor clothing company made rain jackets out of recycled plastic bottles, to some celebrity endorsements, and charged $200 for a jacket similar to the one i bought from them for $60. if spyderco can do this and keep it reasonable and in a popular model (even if it’s not my favorite), i would definitely be down for one.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Micarta, which many of us love, can be made from old linen recycled for the purpose.

Old corn cob or pine cone can be used for scales, impregnated with resin.

Paperstone, another nice material, is recycled paper made into a material that feels good, and very strong. https://paperstoneproducts.net/wordpress/

Steel is usually recycled.

This is a feasible idea.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Cool idea! Though it might be rather pricey.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

A blade made from old leaf springs, liners made from recycled beer cans and micarta scales made from old blue jeans. Sounds like something a custom maker could do.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

French knife maker Roland Lannier does all kinds of interesting things with making his own micarta. He recently did a run of knives using Lucha libre masks. He has also used records from some of his favorite artists, comic book pages, concrete (looks better than it sounds), etc. I'd be interested in seeing how creative Spyderco could be with unique micarta materials.
ferider

Post by ferider »

Count me in !

I would insist though, that the energy for forge, laser cutting, cryo treatment, grinding, etc., comes from water-, solar-, or wind-power.

BTW, if anybody wants to properly recycle their CruWear Spydercos, send them to me, I'll make sure it gets done in a green way. :D
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

All the grinding would need to be done on pedal powered machines.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

One could take the long view. All elements heavier than hydrogen were created in the fusion forge of a star, then ejected when the star died. Collecting and purifying the metals from which blades are made is already an exercise in recycling.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Great idea!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

ferider wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:03 am
or wind-power.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

😱
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032