Knife Vs. Pork Covered in Jeans

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Re: Knife Vs. Pork Covered in Jeans

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:57 pm
legOFwhat? wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:48 am
I usually dress my pork in
ROFL :D
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:54 pm
I prefer pork covered in beans.

If this is a serious question it is missing the more important question. It is not which one will make a bigger cut but which one you can actually hold onto well enough to even make a cut like that.

In my opinion, if you made a high impact cut with either one of those knives you will lose your grip on the knife. There is a minimum amount of purchase you need on a knife to cut like that and neither of these knives have it.

I agree, Darby. While any weapon is better than no weapon, tiny knives are going to be harder to deploy, harder to hold onto, and create relatively shallow wounds. Still, assuming the OP is serious, I sort of recall Dr. Snubnose doing some knife testing for "wound potential" using raw meat covered with cloth to simulate how they might behave in an actual knife fight. Not sure if he tested either of those two, but might be worth the OP's while to do some digging with the search function (look for threads with Meat in the title started by Dr. Snubnose).
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
kwselke

Post by kwselke »

What happens if the denim covered pork has brass knuckles, pepper spray, an Endura, or a gun? I do believe a Ladybug can defeat a denim clad pork butt, but what's the point?
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I have a 9" long scar up the side of my skull that demonstrates that even a tiny little scalpel can get down to bone.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

There's a pic floating around the internet of a guy's back who was apparently attacked in prison by a box knife. The damage is pretty shocking. It seems he lived (he's sitting up in the pic) but the blood loss potential is scary.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:00 pm
There's a pic floating around the internet of a guy's back who was apparently attacked in prison by a box knife. The damage is pretty shocking. It seems he lived (he's sitting up in the pic) but the blood loss potential is scary.
For sure, a tiny blade with a full handle can be devastating. Box cutters offer a full sized handle and a very sharp/thin blade.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:09 pm
Evil D wrote:
For sure, a tiny blade with a full handle can be devastating. Box cutters offer a full sized handle and a very sharp/thin blade.
Makes me think Chap LW once more...(blade not tiny, but at least small, and sure sharp and thin)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Evil D wrote:
There is "potential" for creating great blood loss, but you have to know where the main aortas/veins are to kill. Most of the structures that would cause death are deeper than 1.5 inches under the outer epidermal layer. That's what makes blades 7 inches long so deadly. They can reach them and it takes just one or two thrusts.

The following gives some good tips on targeting, but the best thing is an anatomy chart.
"Contemporary Knife Targeting." By: Grosz and Janich
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Naperville wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:33 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Evil D wrote:
There is "potential" for creating great blood loss, but you have to know where the main aortas/veins are to kill. Most of the structures that would cause death are deeper than 1.5 inches under the outer epidermal layer. That's what makes blades 7 inches long so deadly. They can reach them and it takes just one or two thrusts.

The following gives some good tips on targeting, but the best thing is an anatomy chart.
This is why I stay away from SD discussions. Are we talking about neutralizing a threat or killing people. There is a big difference between being an assassin and a cut and run self defense scenario. The OP is clearly looking for advise for a small last resort self defense tool, not a seven inch thrusting weapon.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:14 pm
Naperville wrote:
This is why I stay away from SD discussions. Are we talking about neutralizing a threat or killing people. There is a big difference between being an assassin and a cut and run self defense scenario. The OP is clearly looking for advise for a small last resort self defense tool, not a seven inch thrusting weapon.
Sorry if I was misunderstood. I do not advocate killing anyone.

The Janich book talks abt targeted and minimal response.

If you prefer to use a small blade, YOU must train to hit those targets, and an Anatomy chart is very handy. It is very hard to hit the wrist flexors for example, if you do not know where they may be.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Naperville wrote:
The following gives some good tips on targeting
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:22 pm
Naperville wrote:
The following gives some good tips on targeting
Is that a spyderco? :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Well I wasn't willing to sacrifice a pork roast or my jeans, but a roll of paper towels was sacrificed in the name of science :D
ZDP-189 Manbug with Paracord Fob.

Pressure cut. 1.5" deep

Slash. 1" deep
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

😂👍🏻
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:09 pm
Is that a spyderco? :D
Ah, hahaha! Sure thing, Matt! :p
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Interested where the OP went?? Missing a few good answers and a lot of hilarious replies!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:49 pm
Interested where the OP went?? Missing a few good answers and a lot of hilarious replies!
Perhaps he decided we were not the droids he was looking for.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

The real key to cutting deeply with a small knife is having enough handle/grip to stabilize the blade. I believe that going down the micro knife path for a self-defense knife is misleading because cutting performance is only one factor. Even if a Ladybug cuts as well as a Cricket, if you can't draw and open either of them quickly and reliably with only one hand, it's all academic.

FWIW, here's a video from Martial Blade Camp doing pork man with a Kahr Arms Delica--the "baseline' minimum tool for my MBC system:

https://youtu.be/FgTV8KKNQ3w

Stay safe,

Mike
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Michael Janich wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:15 am
The real key to cutting deeply with a small knife is having enough handle/grip to stabilize the blade. I believe that going down the micro knife path for a self-defense knife is misleading because cutting performance is only one factor. Even if a Ladybug cuts as well as a Cricket, if you can't draw and open either of them quickly and reliably with only one hand, it's all academic.

FWIW, here's a video from Martial Blade Camp doing pork man with a Kahr Arms Delica--the "baseline' minimum tool for my MBC system:

https://youtu.be/FgTV8KKNQ3w

Stay safe,

Mike
So if I may ask: A Chap LW would be to small already handlewise for effective sd? (Just a theoretical question though, since I never thought about sd with a knife in reality tbh...)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:34 am
So if I may ask: A Chap LW would be too small already handlewise for effective sd? (Just a theoretical question though, since I never thought about sd with a knife in reality tbh...)
If it fits your hand well enough to apply significant leverage and manage impact shock, it would do fine. Deployment of Chaparrals is slower than other folders because of their stiff springs and obviously there are no trainers, so a Delica would still be a better choice.

Stay safe,

Mike