The Wire Clip: express your love, hate, indifference

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

How do you feel about the wire clip?

Prefer it to the standard clip
37%
Prefer the standard clip
16%
Indifferent to it
11%
Wish there were more current Spyderco versions w/ the wire clip
35%

Total votes: 240

steelcity16

Re: The Wire Clip: express your love, hate, indifference

Post by steelcity16 »

Love my deep carry wire clips. The Para 3 and Chap LW are perfect. The Dragonfly could be a little deeper and have the pointy FRN at the end rounded off. I'd prefer a wire clip on the Delica, Native LW, and pretty much every small to mid sized FRN folder. Love the wire clip on the Lil Native as well.

Wire Clip Nation!!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Old threads keep getting revived (good thing, I wasn't even active on this forum 2017...).. ;)

Not too much experience with the wire clip:

Sold my Manix 2 LW after a short time,.

Did not like the wire clip on my Kapara, but not necessarely for being wire, but for the deep carry (I am not a deep carry fan and do absolutely not want it on longer handled knives),

Kind of like it on my Chap LW, fits the overall style perfectly.

But generally: Standard hourglass (and NON deep carry) for me. I guess it's more solid and overall more secure, not loosing my knife has priority for me.
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

hate the wire clips. everytime you sit on them it bends them to the side. if you are squeezing it it moves side to side and scratches my knife handle. not to mention on the more expensive knives, it looks cheap. no do not like the wire clip one bit. love mxg deep carry clips, they look so much more premium and imho it makes my knives look more expensive and nicer.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Tims

Post by Tims »

it’s the only factory deep carry option from Spyderco, so I learn to like it.
UrbanMoose

Post by UrbanMoose »

I prefer the wire clip over the standard as it is deep carry and unobtrusive, but prefer no clip over either, as I find clips get caught on seat-belts and such.
soundshaman

Post by soundshaman »

I don't mind deep carry or not but enjoy the wireclip very much. It feels good in hand, looks good and carry well.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I like it, until it loses it's retention and you need to manipulate it a bit. Happened with Chap LW clip after a couple months. So far so good with my DF and UKPK.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ihped1

Post by ihped1 »

I find the wire clip gets caught on things often. I've broken the wireclip clean off my spydiechef. I've also scratched my car pretty badly with the clip so I might resort to carrying without a clip. They're also very easy to bend and if I don't have a screwdriver on me at the time then I'm stuck with a loose carry that could possibly fall out of my pocket.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

They're simple and completely functional. Hard to beat that!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Maybe they are OK on lightweight models. On the other hand they just give me another reason to dislike lightweights.

So, keep putting them on lightweights, that way I can avoid them both on one pass, thus leaving two birds in the bush where they belong.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I am indifferent, but as with many of the variations and choices we find in different iterations of Spyderco knives, I am FAR more glad those choices exist than not ;) If wire clips make you guys happy, then wire up lol.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I understand it’s a good fit for some knives like the dragonfly for example. Perhaps it should be on the Rhino but I’m glad it’s not. It’s probably the right choice on the Ikuchi, but it’s the only reason I don’t own one.
Personally I don’t like wire clips, they move around and make horrible hotspots. The deep carry/fold over one’s are the worst offenders. I am very unlikely to buy another Spydie with a wire clip and will likely give away or sell the ones I already have. I’ve tried to carry and use them hoping I’d get used to the wire clip but nope.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
James Y

Post by James Y »

I strongly dislike wire clips.

Jim
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I don't mind the hourglass clips but I'd much rather have one of Spyderco's wire clips.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

The wire clip is the only factory deep carry option. I don't like having to pay an extra $25 to get an aftermarket deep carry clip made from titanium, when a $10 steel clip from the factory would be just as functional. So, I've learned to like the wire clip. I also like that the wire clip doesn't scream knife clip to most people.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

ugaarguy wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:08 pm

The wire clip is the only factory deep carry option. I don't like having to pay an extra $25 to get an aftermarket deep carry clip made from titanium, when a $10 steel clip from the factory would be just as functional. So, I've learned to like the wire clip. I also like that the wire clip doesn't scream knife clip to most people.

exactly
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

The Spyderco wire clip reminds me of an improved version of the Lamy Safari pen clip; it's a brilliant design.
I love the look, I love what it shows about how the Spyderco designers carry and use knives, and I mostly love the fact that it's a manufacturing innovation that simplifies a knife in a bunch of ways.

The wire clip has one third as many screws, but no chance of rotation or slip. There are great tension and retention characteristics, but less pants-wearing surface without compromising that tension... I could go on.

After having the wire clip on the Sage and Caly3/3.5 knives I can't go back to the standard clip on the Delica or even the Caly Jr, as much as I love those blades. My next mod, hopefully, will be a Cricket with a wire clip.

I understand the feelings about snail-trails and so forth, but TBH if I were carrying a knife that's expensive enough that I care about the snail trails, I wouldn't want titanium scales on it and I probably wouldn't clip it to my pocket.
The Sage 2 is, IMO, a nearly-perfect example of a form-follows-function design and the clip really adds to that.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:04 pm
Small or very lightweight knives = wire clip
Large and heavier knives = hourglass clip or equivalent

I love the wire clip but it just doesn't suit larger heavier knives, it doesn't clip strong enough and doesn't provide enough traction. It's absolutely perfect for knives like the Dragonfly though.
This.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:31 pm
Love my deep carry wire clips. The Para 3 and Chap LW are perfect. The Dragonfly could be a little deeper and have the pointy FRN at the end rounded off. I'd prefer a wire clip on the Delica, Native LW, and pretty much every small to mid sized FRN folder. Love the wire clip on the Lil Native as well.

Wire Clip Nation!!
I award Steelcity16 the “2019 Best Use of the Search Function” award.

#necropost lives!

:p
loamy47

Post by loamy47 »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:04 pm
Small or very lightweight knives = wire clip
Large and heavier knives = hourglass clip or equivalent

I love the wire clip but it just doesn't suit larger heavier knives, it doesn't clip strong enough and doesn't provide enough traction. It's absolutely perfect for knives like the Dragonfly though.
Well said. As much as I love the wire clip, I couldn't imagine it on a larger knife any bigger than a Delica because of it having a fair bit less strength. If they made a wire clip with a heavier gauge wire, then maybe I could see it but at the same time I don't know if I would like a heavier wire clip. It almost defeats the purpose.

Still, in my opinion, there is no better clip for a small knife.