FRN Police 4

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
James Y

Re: FRN Police 4

Post by James Y »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:41 pm
If we ended up getting a rust proof FRN Police I wouldn't know what to think. I'd feel like I was still asleep, dreaming :D
That would be great! Icould get into that! I'm wondering if an LC200N bladed Police model can be made in Seki City?

Jim
vivi

Post by vivi »

Sad this wasn't in the 2019 catalog. Hopefully there is a reveal sometime down the road in 2019.

Until then, I'm glad I gave the K390 G10 model a shot. The steel has really inpressed me with how it sharpens and holds an edge, though I've yet to test the corrosion resistance as much as I'll be able to this summer.
:unicorn
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

sal wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:47 am
First run is usually black FRN / VG-10. Then we go from there.

sal
Dear Sal,

I am late to the Party when it comes to VG10 but I have to say it is so good I purchased a second Spyderco Stretch2 tonight in VG10. I am having a very hard time considering it inferior to S30V and some other Steels as well.

At first I was anti FRN and wary of VG10 as it is an older steel, but as long as FRN has Steel liners it is good to go with me liking it very much. Gosh darn it liking FRN with Liners maybe better than G10 but without steel liners too much movement in the pivot for me.

I am very much enjoying your Stretch2 in both VG10 and ZDP189 with G10. Could we please get this awesome knife of your design in LC200N as well?

Black FRN with liners is great please no more yellow or bumble bee stuff I feel silly and it draws too much attention in the office.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:11 pm
sal wrote:

sal
Dear Sal,

I am late to the Party when it comes to VG10 but I have to say it is so good I purchased a second Spyderco Stretch2 tonight in VG10. I am having a very hard time considering it inferior to S30V and some other Steels as well.

At first I was anti FRN and wary of VG10 as it is an older steel, but as long as FRN has Steel liners it is good to go with me liking it very much. Gosh darn it liking FRN with Liners maybe better than G10 but without steel liners too much movement in the pivot for me.

I am very much enjoying your Stretch2 in both VG10 and ZDP189 with G10. Could we please get this awesome knife of your design in LC200N as well?

Black FRN with liners is great please no more yellow or bumble bee stuff I feel silly and it draws too much attention in the office.
and wary of VG10 as it is an older steel,

That is IMHO one of the biggest issues that people need to overcome in their minds.

Just because it's "old" doesn't mean it's not any good and perfectly handles the task at hand at the right price point.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
vivi

Post by vivi »

500Nitro wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:29 pm
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:11 pm
sal wrote:

sal
Dear Sal,

That is IMHO one of the biggest issues that people need to overcome in their minds.

Just because it's "old" doesn't mean it's not any good and perfectly handles the task at hand at the right price point.
Yep. D2 pre-dates World War 2 but people love it when chinese knives claim to be D2 :p

I love VG10. One of the few stainless steels I'm equally happy with in a fixed blade too.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:38 pm
Yep. D2 pre-dates World War 2 but people love it when chinese knives claim to be D2 :p

I love VG10. One of the few stainless steels I'm equally happy with in a fixed blade too.
I like Aus-8 but only because Its done well over the many many years.

Got a VG-10 coming in an Endura so will compare.

(I wish VG-10 and G-10 didn'r have such similar names lol)
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
vivi

Post by vivi »

500Nitro wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:42 pm
Vivi wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:38 pm

I like Aus-8 but only because Its done well over the many many years.

Got a VG-10 coming in an Endura so will compare.

(I wish VG-10 and G-10 didn'r have such similar names lol)
I have an AUS8 TDI on me tonight. I recently gave it a fresh edge and took it up to 1,200 grit and it is incredibly sharp. Catches anything it touches as soon as it makes contact. Handy little knife for the $33 I paid.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

500Nitro wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:29 pm

I am feeling guilty because I have bad mouthed S30V. I do hanker for the newer steels, but this is not to say that S30V is bad, nor is VG10. Heck, I even like 154CM in one form or the other. But the price better be right for VG10 -- and even more so for 154CM.

I was using my PM2 with S30V today and was impressed with how sharp it was and reminding myself that it was no big deal to sharpen. It is actually great stuff. But there are a lot of newer steels that are better.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:11 pm
Currently I'm thinking dark colors. Maybe black for VG-10, BRG for ZDP, very dark blue for K390, etc.

sal

Any chance of a foliage green combo edge version like the Endura or Delica? I'd be all over this and a Police LW Salt.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:54 pm
Hi Vivi,

Anything is possible. The question will be demand? Let's bring out the first model first and see what happens. Is there a large enough market for 1200 DLC pieces?

Knives over 4" in blade length are not as popular as the 4" or under knives.

sal
knivesandbooks wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:09 pm

Other than the black vg10 and the burnt orange hap40 (please do that), I'd be most interested in OD Green with black dlc and desert tan / khaki. Burgundy and dlc would also be swell.

I think DLC paired with an earth tone like OD Green or Desert Tan would be a big hit. A "Military Police" sprint so to speak. Paired with something like M390 would really sell this. Maybe DLT Trading will do a Tan/DLC M390 exclusive to match their recent PM2????

Until then, maybe we can get an OD Green/DLC sprint in another highly sought after Bohler steel like V4E????

And it would be nice to have an option for DLC on the Navy Blue/K390 version.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Did they ever say why they didn't use a Boye Dent on this model? Seems weird that the new Endela and Dragonflies have it but this one doesn't. I would have preferred it had one.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:26 pm
Sad this wasn't in the 2019 catalog. Hopefully there is a reveal sometime down the road in 2019.

Until then, I'm glad I gave the K390 G10 model a shot. The steel has really inpressed me with how it sharpens and holds an edge, though I've yet to test the corrosion resistance as much as I'll be able to this summer.
Man, I need to snag one of those Police 4's, it's just there's so many priorities on my budget lol. I've got I'd say two knives in line ahead of the P4, but then it will be mine mwuhahaha! I've really been liking the functionality of my 52100 Military's long blade, and it seems from everything I've heard about the P4 that it's design and ergos make it feel and carry like a smaller knife, which is important in this ahem... day and age. Vivi, do you have any observations on the corrosion resistance of K390? That is a property that I am actually not very concerned about, but it's still good to know how reactive a steel is.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:00 pm
Vivi wrote:
... Vivi, do you have any observations on the corrosion resistance of K390? That is a property that I am actually not very concerned about, but it's still good to know how reactive a steel is.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=81418&hilit=Police+ ... s&start=80
... Page 5 of the thread.... corrosion resistance seems to be not the best...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:37 pm
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Vivi wrote:
... Vivi, do you have any observations on the corrosion resistance of K390? That is a property that I am actually not very concerned about, but it's still good to know how reactive a steel is.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=81418&hilit=Police+ ... s&start=80
... Page 5 of the thread.... corrosion resistance seems to be not the best...
Oh I see... It's not something that bothers me, just good to know. I wonder what the timeframe on the ZDP and K390 versions of Lightweight will be, I reckon a couple years, but who knows maybe Spyderco will surprise us and it'll be in he next catalog! :cool:
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
vivi

Post by vivi »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Vivi wrote:

Man, I need to snag one of those Police 4's, it's just there's so many priorities on my budget lol. I've got I'd say two knives in line ahead of the P4, but then it will be mine mwuhahaha! I've really been liking the functionality of my 52100 Military's long blade, and it seems from everything I've heard about the P4 that it's design and ergos make it feel and carry like a smaller knife, which is important in this ahem... day and age. Vivi, do you have any observations on the corrosion resistance of K390? That is a property that I am actually not very concerned about, but it's still good to know how reactive a steel is.
I think that link speaks for itself. K390 is more corrosion resistant for me than most carbon steels, but it's certainly not a stainless steel.

I've rusted the piners in my VG10 Police 3, but it took a few years vs a month to be as bad as the P4. I knew the blade wouldn't do the best in this regard but the liners and lock bar rusting as quickly as they did makes me think they used a less corrosion resistant metal there too. That or the K390 caused a reaction with them.

Either way the VG10 model excites me for that reason. I know most want the K390, but the G10 model is readily available, while a stainless Police isn't unless you count the classic P1.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:15 pm
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Vivi wrote:

I think that link speaks for itself. K390 is more corrosion resistant for me than most carbon steels, but it's certainly not a stainless steel.

I've rusted the piners in my VG10 Police 3, but it took a few years vs a month to be as bad as the P4. I knew the blade wouldn't do the best in this regard but the liners and lock bar rusting as quickly as they did makes me think they used a less corrosion resistant metal there too. That or the K390 caused a reaction with them.

Either way the VG10 model excites me for that reason. I know most want the K390, but the G10 model is readily available, while a stainless Police isn't unless you count the classic P1.
Rusted the liners you say ? That's interesting, and the same happened on the P4 model as well? Wow, something I would not have expected lol
vivi

Post by vivi »

Yeah that's why I stick with a Pacific Salt pretty much every day during the summer. Just oil the blade they say. Well what about the liners, locking mechanism, screws, clips....I've rusted those too haha.

I'm really glad they make the salt line. It's been really nice having rust be an optional problem the past decade.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:47 pm
Yeah that's why I stick with a Pacific Salt pretty much every day during the summer. Just oil the blade they say. Well what about the liners, locking mechanism, screws, clips....I've rusted those too haha.

I'm really glad they make the salt line. It's been really nice having rust be an optional problem the past decade.
I think I've said it before, but a P4 LW Salt would suit me fine just fine. :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:52 pm
Vivi wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:47 pm

I think I've said it before, but a P4 LW Salt would suit me fine just fine. :D
I know I've said it before, but a Police Salt would be the last pocket knife I'd need.
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

In Blade HQ's YouTube video from Blade Show, Eric said that they "are planning" to release the P4LW in K390! So not a matter of 'if the sales do well." Hopefully they know that the sales will be there for the K390!

Starts around 2:40 and then around 2:54 Eric says he wants to put a "big engine in a lightweight car!" AWESOME!!!

https://youtu.be/ScWvTKqxe4c