Boye Dents on Backlocks? Yes or No?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

If you had to choose one way or the other, for future models, do you want a Boye Dent?

Yes
66%
No
34%

Total votes: 53

cesma

Re: Boye Dents on Backlocks? Yes or No?

Post by cesma »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:59 pm
I'll pass. I get the idea but it seems a little like a solution looking for a problem.
Same opinion here.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

It's totally redundant IMO, it doesn't bother me though so i guess i couldn't care less :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Tims

Post by Tims »

I do like the feel of it under thumb but admit I never felt it offered much functionally.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I don’t particularly dislike them, but on the knives I have with them, the dent is off-center to the scallop in the scale and that bugs me more than the dent’s presence or absence. So I voted no.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:00 am
I don’t particularly dislike them, but on the knives I have with them, the dent is off-center to the scallop in the scale and that bugs me more than the dent’s presence or absence. So I voted no.

I was reading about the Boye Dent and I believe the off-center aspect people always discuss is by design. Something about the lockbar swing being an arc so it has to be slightly off center when locked. When you depress the lock fully you should see it perfectly centered in the groove. I'll try to find the article.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I believe that Spyderco pays a royalty to David Boye for their use of it. I am unsure how much the Boye dent adds to the cost of a knife but it does add something. It probably isn’t much so I still don’t really care one way or the other but if I was designing a knife I would not put one on it.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:50 am
I believe that Spyderco pays a royalty to David Boye for their use of it. I am unsure how much the Boye dent adds to the cost of a knife but it does add something. It probably isn’t much so I still don’t really care one way or the other but if I was designing a knife I would not put one on it.

Yeah, I was wondering how much this adds per knife. Probably not much as you said. I mean they have it on Byrd knives which are supposed to be the budget line. I'd gladly pay it to have the dent on on the Police LW (CQI change for new variations?) and future knives.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:06 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:00 am

I was reading about the Boye Dent and I believe the off-center aspect people always discuss is by design. Something about the lockbar swing being an arc so it has to be slightly off center when locked. When you depress the lock fully you should see it perfectly centered in the groove. I'll try to find the article.
I’ll try to remember to check. It’s not much of an arc.
loamy47

Post by loamy47 »

I voted yes simply because to me it makes the edges of the lockbar feel less "sharp" when using the lock. Still, I realize this may have more to do with spring tension and either way it wouldn't be a make or break on any knife I'd buy.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Based on the question, I think a selection should be added to include a vote for "indifferent."

From a safety/design standpoint, I understand why people like the Boye dent. In theory, I too like the added safety the Boye dent offers. That said, I honestly do not feel that any of my backlock knives without Boye dents are less safe than those with them, and I don't really notice any difference in functionality while using one versus the other..

I do like the Boye dent aesthetically on certain knives, but not necessarily enough to say I prefer it over backlocks without one.

I did not vote because, based on the two options, I really do not have a strong preference one way or the other.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

DSH007 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:48 pm

Based on the question, I think a selection should be added to include a vote for "indifferent."

I expected plenty of people to be indifferent, but I thought it would be more interesting to make you choose! :) So basically if Spyderco asked you to collaborate with them in the next iteration of the Delica or Endura or Police or whatever, and YOU had to make the call on the Boye Dent, are you adding one or not??? :confused:

I'm all in! Dents for days!!! :D
Brotherscinc0

Post by Brotherscinc0 »

I voted “yes” but it really doesn’t matter much to me either way
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:52 pm
DSH007 wrote:

I expected plenty of people to be indifferent, but I thought it would be more interesting to make you choose! :) So basically if Spyderco asked you to collaborate with them in the next iteration of the Delica or Endura or Police or whatever, and YOU had to make the call on the Boye Dent, are you adding one or not??? :confused:

Well it worked. I don’t really care but I voted cause “meh” wasn’t a choice! If doing a collab I’d leave it off.
Last edited by Woodpuppy on Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I find they offer a slightly more comfortable contact surface and prefer them for that reason.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

I can go either way. I find closing a lockback one handed in the dark is a touch more intuitive with one, but I have no issue using lockbacks lacking the dent. I was happy with my Police 3 with a dent and I'm happy with my Police 4 with no dent.
:unicorn
Tims

Post by Tims »

Tims wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:50 am
I do like the feel of it under thumb but admit I never felt it offered much functionally.
The more I think about it, the more I realise I like a Boye dent. Given the choice, Boye dent every time for me.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:52 pm
DSH007 wrote:

Oh man.. well if the decision is on ME.. haha I suppose.. gun to my head, yes or no.. I'd have to go with yes, add the Boye dent. But I also wouldn't be too torn up over it if the design team vetoed my decision. ;)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Tims wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:09 am

The more I think about it, the more I realise I like a Boye dent. Given the choice, Boye dent every time for me.

I know what you mean. The lack of the dent on the Police LW is really bothering me. Lol. Maybe we can ask for a CQI given the 2 to 1 preference for the dent in the poll??
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Yes. Don’t know about the safety, but being able to locate the lock release by feel is very good.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I'm really indifferent. I think most knives look better without the dent, but I like the idea of a tactile reference point.