Boye Dents on Backlocks? Yes or No?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

If you had to choose one way or the other, for future models, do you want a Boye Dent?

Yes
66%
No
34%

Total votes: 53

steelcity16

Boye Dents on Backlocks? Yes or No?

Post by steelcity16 »

I noticed the Police LW lacks the Boye Dent found on the Delica, Endura, and even the new Endela and new Dragonflies. So some knives get them and others don't. I would think the Police LW would have had one as that knife will probably see harder use and harder gripping than most, where the added safety of the Boye Dent may make a difference.

For my use I would rather have them than not. I like the safety aspect (whether needed or not), it feels a little better on my thumb when pressing, and I just plain like the looks of them. Do you like the Boye Dent or not?
Last edited by steelcity16 on Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Tucson Tom

Re: Boye Dents on Backlocks? Yes or No?

Post by Tucson Tom »

Nope. Don't much like it, though I don't have strong feelings. It is probably useful on a smaller knife if it is useful at all.

I am glad none of my backlock knives (Police 4, Native 5, Backlock Manix) have it. Not having it gives the knife a cleaner look and gives something more to push on. Maybe if the spring was really weak there might be some point to it.
Last edited by Tucson Tom on Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Yes. Aside from any practical or safety value, to me they are aesthetically pleasing. They help break up the continuous line along the back of a handle.

It's a refinement.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I see no disadvantages in a boye dent, other than if someone does not like the looks.

Personally I never felt backlocks without it felt unsafe, still I'd probably always slightly prefer the dent, if only cause it makes closing a tiny bit easier when wearing gloves.

But that does not mean that no boye dent is a deal breaker by any means for me.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Makes no difference to me. I'm ok with or without it.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I don't care for it personally. But I won't pass on a knife because of it. I voted No.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I said yes because it doesn't bother me, and if it makes it even a little but safer, then sure lol
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'll pass. I get the idea but it seems a little like a solution looking for a problem.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
A.S.O.K.A

Post by A.S.O.K.A »

Would defenitely love to see them on all future models. It just makes sense for such a feature to be put on a backlock
Every Steel Has Its Appeal :cool:

A.S.O.K.A Edge on Youtube
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:03 pm
Yes. Aside from any practical or safety value, to me they are aesthetically pleasing. They help break up the continuous line along the back of a handle.

It's a refinement.
I agree. The aesthetic aspect is important to me.

There is a slight difference in feel as well. Maybe it's imagined, but the Boye Dent feels better to operate. The safety of it has never been necessary for me. Different strokes for different folks.
redhawk44357

Post by redhawk44357 »

I can live without it
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I prefer it.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I had voted yes and posted earlier, but I would just like to add that, even though it is to an extent a preference thing and not entirely "necessary" from a functional standpoint, a Boye dent does sort of serve as a "finger groove" for added purchase and tactile input (for lack of a better word, I hope I'm not being too obtuse lol). But again, it's not something that is make-or-break to me anyway, just a further refinement ;) Little things, little things...
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am indifferent about them for the most part but if was designing a knife I wouldn’t put one on it.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I like them more as a reassurance that I’m pressing in the correct and in a consistent location when not looking at the knife when releasing the lock. I also like knowing I’m less likely to release the lock when I don’t want to if I have a weird grip on it.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I like the Boye dent for tactile reasons more than I feel that it makes the lock safer. I generally prefer it, but can live without it.

Jim
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I actually like them. I like the looks and the idea behind the design, both. As a guy with meaty hands, I think it might be very slightly safer. I am not sure about this, but any margin of safety is a good thing....and it looks cool. One thing I actually do prefer about it is the tactile issue. I can easily find the lock button in the dark with the Boye Dent.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Yes. What’s not to like?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
anycal

Post by anycal »

Never gave it a thought. Actually, I had to pull out my backlocks - 3 with dents, 2 without - to see how I feel about each knife. Because to me there is no consistency how one feels vs the other. To me, the more noticeable difference is the tension of the lockbar spring.

The P4 and the Native, without the dent, both have very different tension on them. Even the two Natives I have feel different in this aspect. Similarly, the Endura, Delica, and the Caly, with the dent, all have different tension in the release mechanism.

So, yes, makes no difference to me. I always accepted the way they disengage the lock, each having a different feel to them.
Peter
tangent

Post by tangent »

Doesn't matter that much to me, but, that said, it's a little easier to locate the lock when you're not looking if it has the 'dent.'