Yet another Counterfeit eBay seller

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
The Meat man

Yet another Counterfeit eBay seller

Post by The Meat man »

EBay seller "jian2016" (from China, of course :rolleyes: ) has a bunch of fake Spydercos, including a fake Spydiechef, for sale on eBay.

I reported the seller to eBay but I thought I'd post it here too.
These stupid fakes make me mad. Especially when the pictures are all genuine Spyderco knives with only the logos and blade makings clumsily edited out.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
pantagana23

Re: Yet another Counterfeit eBay seller

Post by pantagana23 »

Hmmm, I didn't even know you could report a seller for counterfeits.

I posted this link in a thread below (and a couple more).

https://www.ebay.com/sch/zhongjson0/m.h ... pg=&_from=

When you go to see the seller, there is no option of reporting anything?

Please elaborate how to (pics please).
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

pantagana23 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:54 am
Hmmm, I didn't even know you could report a seller for counterfeits.

I posted this link in a thread below (and a couple more).

https://www.ebay.com/sch/zhongjson0/m.h ... pg=&_from=

When you go to see the seller, there is no option of reporting anything?

Please elaborate how to (pics please).

Sorry, what I meant was, I reported the counterfeit item to eBay.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
cody12

Post by cody12 »

To Meat man Have you ever seen one of these fakes in person? I have and if they're fake they're perfect. They come in the correct box with the description sheet inside. The description on ebay is misleading, but the knife in the picture is the one you get. They advertise a cheaper blade steel but a close inspection of the picture matches what arrives. Some are discontinued. The Magnitude is in orange. Not brown. Used to be orange. I was thinking stolen. Can't imagine building a Civilian and selling it for less than $40. There's no way they could make any money, even in China. Confusing to say the least.

Steve in L.A.
cody12

Post by cody12 »

One thing more, the mamba is spectacular. I bought five different knives from this seller just for fun, to see what was up. If I was selling fakes this good I'd list them as Spyderco and sell them at a resonate price. Just as illegal but make some real money. Besides coming in real boxes, some come in pouches. I don't get it, they need a better business plan. BTW those fake knives have all been pulled down from this site.
Steve
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

cody12 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:33 am
One thing more, the mamba is spectacular. I bought five different knives from this seller just for fun, to see what was up. If I was selling fakes this good I'd list them as Spyderco and sell them at a resonate price. Just as illegal but make some real money. Besides coming in real boxes, some come in pouches. I don't get it, they need a better business plan. BTW those fake knives have all been pulled down from this site.
Steve
No matter how good these fakes get, I'd never spend cent on them. Funding these sellers only encourages them to keep ripping off designs and opening new workshops to crap out another 50 dozen clones a day.

I can't keep track of the amount of people pointing their fingers at Spyderco for bad quality, when they had a clone all along (unbeknownst to them).
Any press is good press? Not in this case.

If they can make knives, let them design their own knives and make those. We Knife did it and they've done very well for themselves without soiling the name of other companies.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

A fake Spydiechef and etc... Jeez seems like a lot of effort for what can only be a few dollars profit (or maybe I'm wrong who knows); seems like one could just get a real job and make more money.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

cody12 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:14 am
To Meat man Have you ever seen one of these fakes in person? I have and if they're fake they're perfect. They come in the correct box with the description sheet inside. The description on ebay is misleading, but the knife in the picture is the one you get. They advertise a cheaper blade steel but a close inspection of the picture matches what arrives. Some are discontinued. The Magnitude is in orange. Not brown. Used to be orange. I was thinking stolen. Can't imagine building a Civilian and selling it for less than $40. There's no way they could make any money, even in China. Confusing to say the least.

Steve in L.A.

Hi Steve!

No, I haven't seen or handled any of the fakes, but yeah a lot of those counterfeits are getting harder and harder to spot. The Chinese are getting pretty good. :rolleyes:

The knives in the pictures are not just clones or imitations. They are marked as Spyderco knives with fake blade etchings. The seller clumsily edited out those incriminating markings in an attempt to avoid obvious fraud but you can still see enough to understand what's going on.
Did the knife you handled have these markings or was it a blank blade?

BTW welcome to the forum. :)
- Connor

BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

cody12 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:14 am
To Meat man Have you ever seen one of these fakes in person? I have and if they're fake they're perfect. I was thinking stolen.
They're shipping straight from China. They aren't stolen. They are 100% counterfeit knives. Look, this seller is also selling "Medford" knives, complete with the Medford logo for $31. Are you really saying they somehow steal a large batch of $425 Medford Praetorian Scouts (made in the US), ship them back to China, then sell them back to US customers for $30 through ebay? Really?

cody12 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:33 am
Besides coming in real boxes, some come in pouches.
But they aren't "real boxes". Those are counterfeit boxes as well. They start out by getting a real Spyderco knife and everything that comes with it, then they copy every single thing (knife, box, papers) to make them look authentic.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Meat Man and others, do you think this is true? Someone told me that in China there are literally tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of factory buildings and they are mass producing so much goods that the discount store chains in America and elsewhere are only selling the tip of the ice berg of what products flow out of China. Does that mean there are tons of these counterfeiters there doing this?