Poll: more CBBL

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Offer new CBBL designs

Yes - please make more knives with the CBBL lock
73%
No - not interested in knife designs using the CBBL lock
27%

Total votes: 167

DougC-3

Re: Poll: more CBBL

Post by DougC-3 »

I'd like to see a larger CBBL knife shaped something like the Amalgam but a little broader in blade and handle.

I think you guys who have to flip or push your Manix closed need to loosen the pivot (or front scale screw) a hair or maybe use a thinner lubricant. One thing that made the Manix love-at-first-sight to me was the fact that the design gives you zero blade play and yet the blade closes by gravity alone if you just slant it a few degrees away from horizontal, after unlocking of course.

As for the plural, I think the "rule" is that you shouldn't alter trade names and so should say "Manix knives" or at worst, "Manix's." But nobody enforces these rules, so I just regard it as a regular word and say Manixes :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Yes! More CBBL, in a variety of sizes, blade shapes and more. I think it’s perfect as is in the Manix as a hard use folder. I would like to see a gent’s folder in the 2.5 to 3.0 inch range. I would also be interested in a large (K2, Chinook, Tatanka) folder with a stout blade.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
BigWillie

Post by BigWillie »

I would prefer to see a simpler pin/spring lock to keep it easy to strip and reassemble.

But I voted yes because I would certanily settle for a CBBL on a PM2
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

I am bumping this thread because CBBL does not get enough love when it comes to new models and designs. There is obviously support for it. Are we stuck with the Manix forever and that’s all?
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

DOUBLE D wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 12:07 pm
Actually, unless they make the spring tension a little less harsh, I won't be buying anything with the cbbl. My first Spyderco was the Manix, because I love the idea of the cbbl, but it ate apart the pads of my fingers when disengaging. I've since bought six different Manix's, some better than others, but all were still too strong.

What is it that shabazz says... It didn't bring me any joy to use. If they loosen the tension, somewhere in between where it is now, and the typical axis lock, I'd be all over any model that was produced with the cbbl. Then it would bring me joy.
I’ve owned 3 of them and found the tension a bit harsh on two, so I loosened it by leaving them sitting in a half-open position for a while. Worked like a charm.

I’d love to see more knives with the CBBL lock, especially a version of the Shaman
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

It would be instructive to learn how many failures of the black plastic ball cage have been reported out of how many such models sold. The black cage on my Manix LW feels very robust. Are they a fibered nylon like the FRN handle scales? If so, then my confidence in them is very high, as FRN is very good stuff.

I voted for more CBBL knives. I love the closing bias, the strength, and the fully ambidextrous nature of that lock.

Edited to add: I went back and saw I posted on this thread back in May! Still haven’t broken the cage on my Manix LW. I think the cage offers a much more secure grip than the naked ball on a plain BBL.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Bill1170 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:19 am
It would be instructive to learn how many failures of the black plastic ball cage have been reported out of how many such models sold. The black cage on my Manix LW feels very robust. Are they a fibered nylon like the FRN handle scales? If so, then my confidence in them is very high, as FRN is very good stuff.

I voted for more CBBL knives. I love the closing bias, the strength, and the fully ambidextrous nature of that lock.

Edited to add: I went back and saw I posted on this thread back in May! Still haven’t broken the cage on my Manix LW. I think the cage offers a much more secure grip than the naked ball on a plain BBL.
The cage is polymer, which should offer more strength than FRN, or similar materials. I owned one of the clear-caged Manix 2s, which were supposed to be more fragile from what I recall. Had that one for 7 years of solid use and the cage never failed.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Vivi, your one handed closing of the manix XL is impressive. I can't do it. I use 2 hands the majority of the time without issue though. My pivot is rather tight though, so I don't feel unsafe depressing the lock one handed and just pressing the spine slightly against my leg to initiate closing the knife one handed.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Funny thing is I figured everyone else did it that way too. That's just what feels natural to me. It wasn't until I saw some videos of Eric using two fingers I realized thats how most people do it.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:30 am
Vivi, your one handed closing of the manix XL is impressive. I can't do it. I use 2 hands the majority of the time without issue though. My pivot is rather tight though, so I don't feel unsafe depressing the lock one handed and just pressing the spine slightly against my leg to initiate closing the knife one handed.
You mean one HANDED or one "FINGERED"?

I only had one single CBBL knife (Manix 2 LW), and as far as I can remember, when using two fingers on the lock, "swinging" the blade shut felt natural, when using just the thumb on the lock it was more like "guiding" the blade to close with the index finger in the opening hole.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I just meant one handed. I always use 2 fingers to depress the lock. My blade is far from free swinging.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:42 am
I just meant one handed. I always use 2 fingers to depress the lock. My blade is far from free swinging.
It does not have to be free swinging. When the lock is disengaged with TWO fingers, the blade can be "swung closed" with an "inward" wrist flick.

Disengaged lock with only the thumb: Blade can be guided to closed with the index finger.

At least that's how I did with my Manix, but perhaps the action on your CBBL knives is "stiffer"!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

YOU THINK NEEDS IMPROVEMENT? CBBL IS FINE.

Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:37 am
Pelagic wrote:
It does not have to be free swinging. When the lock is disengaged with TWO fingers, the blade can be "swung closed" with an "inward" wrist flick.

Disengaged lock with only the thumb: Blade can be guided to closed with the index finger.

At least that's how I did with my Manix, but perhaps the action on your CBBL knives is "stiffer"!
No, I prefer my pivot TIGHT. There's no way to flick it closed via inertia. It would take way too much force.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

Nice video vivi. You can also open the Manix using the same method you are demonstrating to close it.

I find the spring tension is perfect and even with a nerve injury in my dominant hand which has limited its strength I don’t have an issue opening or closing the CBBL. I have small hands to begin with too.

As for the durability of CBBL, I have carried them almost exclusively for about 10 years as an EDC, and have yet to have one fail.

I hope Sal (Spyderco) sees the following this lock has and offers some more designs.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:37 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Pelagic wrote:

No, I prefer my pivot TIGHT. There's no way to flick it closed via inertia. It would take way too much force.
I see! My Manix was not free dropping, but still "loose" enough that I could use inertia to flick it closed when operating the lock with TWO fingers.
But if pulling back the lock with only the thumb like Vivi does in his vid, one can "guide"the blade to partly closed using the index finger (second method I used). Admittedly, this will also be harder when the action is tight
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:33 am
Pelagic wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Pelagic wrote:

I see! My Manix was not free dropping, but still "loose" enough that I could use inertia to flick it closed when operating the lock with TWO fingers.
But if pulling back the lock with only the thumb like Vivi does in his vid, one can "guide"the blade to partly closed using the index finger (second method I used). Admittedly, this will also be harder when the action is tight
That's how I typcally close them. Really the closing operation for me is essentially the same as a liner lock. I depress the lock release with my thumb, guide the blade about halfway shut with my index finger, then finish closing it with my thumb.

Swinging it shut is fun but less reliable. Every so often I manage to make the blade bounce back to the open position.

My Manix (or any other folder) doesn't freely swing closed. Like Pelagic I prefer a tighter pivot. Both my Police 4's have been tightened to the point there is extra resistance when closing and opening the knife, then loc-tighted to that specific adjustment. Less likely to open in my pocket, I figure, and safer to close the way I do. Still, I have no issues pressing in the lock release with my index finger and swinging the Police closed like any other lock people like to fidget with.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:48 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:33 am
Pelagic wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
That's how I typcally close them. Really the closing operation for me is essentially the same as a liner lock. I depress the lock release with my thumb, guide the blade about halfway shut with my index finger, then finish closing it with my thumb.

Swinging it shut is fun but less reliable. Every so often I manage to make the blade bounce back to the open position.

My Manix (or any other folder) doesn't freely swing closed. Like Pelagic I prefer a tighter pivot. Both my Police 4's have been tightened to the point there is extra resistance when closing and opening the knife, then loc-tighted to that specific adjustment. Less likely to open in my pocket, I figure, and safer to close the way I do. Still, I have no issues pressing in the lock release with my index finger and swinging the Police closed like any other lock people like to fidget with.

While I close my backlocks (except the Chap, the blade is just too light) quite often like you do in your vid (and I do in this (often times recycled ;) )vid: https://streamable.com/j7fjd), with backlocks guiding the blade halfways with the index finger bfeels more natural and I use that method more often (and btw: Almost never the "let-the-choil/Ricasso-drop-on your -index-finger-then-close" - method, many people seemto prefer)

Though with my Manix (CBBL) the "swinging shut"method felt more natural for some reason (similar to how most people close a comp.lock) and I used it more often than operating the CBBL only with the thumb and guide the blade with the index finger.

Both work fine though.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Eww, is this still a thing? I'm not drunk enough to buy another CBBL!

I only tolerate the BBL on the Dodo because it's such a good knife design. Anything else gets no love from this guy.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:33 am
Eww, is this still a thing? I'm not drunk enough to buy another CBBL!

I only tolerate the BBL on the Dodo because it's such a good knife design. Anything else gets no love from this guy.
Yeah, it's far from my favorite. Buy I don't mind owning one.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?