The backup that helps you sleep at night... ;)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: The backup that helps you sleep at night... ;)

Post by Wartstein »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 3:04 pm
Yeah I waited a few years for BBS to rerelease their M390 PM2 so when they finally did I bought one, then a few weeks before they sold out I bought a second. You’ll be happy to know I carry and use my M390 PM2 but I’m happy to know there’s a prestige one sitting in my closet for a rainy day.

Even after my recent purge I didn’t sell the back up because I knew I would regret it.

There are a few others. I have 2 orange g10 ukpk’s just in case as well as two red g10 ones.
You should have bought a backup to your CHIEF, since you´re seemingly the only person who magically really can get his hands on this model... :D :D
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 2:21 pm
DSH007 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 1:39 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:20 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:07 am
This forum is probably one of the few places where people reading this don´t think I´m totally crazy... ;)
Hahah, I don't think you're crazy at all! I'd be upset if I lost any of my knives! ****, I was emotionally crippled for a week when I accidentally threw away the box to my Vtoku2 Stretch 2.. I still kick myself for that!

I'm not sure of the circumstances surrounding the loss of your Stretch, but I hope it turns up someday! Maybe it's in a jacket pocket or something just waiting for you to find it again.. always nice when that happens..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

DSH007 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 3:15 pm
Wartstein wrote:
DSH007 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:20 am

This forum is probably one of the few places where people reading this don´t think I´m totally crazy... ;)
Hahah, I don't think you're crazy at all! I'd be upset if I lost any of my knives! ****, I was emotionally crippled for a week when I accidentally threw away the box to my Vtoku2 Stretch 2.. I still kick myself for that!

I'm not sure of the circumstances surrounding the loss of your Stretch, but I hope it turns up someday! Maybe it's in a jacket pocket or something just waiting for you to find it again.. always nice when that happens..
Thanks, that sure would be nice! :)
I absolutely don´t know how and where I lost my Stretch 1...but meanwhile, as described in my op, I have two VG10 Stretch 1 once more (one being my one and only backup I ever had and have of any knife) and one in HAP40. I should be ok, since I "only" lost two Spyders till now in many years: The Stretch 1, and a blue Endura 4 (for that one I was searching several hours and made about 5000 feet vertical distance while doing so... in the night with just a small headlamp. And I am not kidding here! (Did NOT find it btw... :( ))
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 3:23 pm
DSH007 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 3:15 pm
Wartstein wrote:
DSH007 wrote:

Thanks, that sure would be nice! :)
I absolutely don´t know how and where I lost my Stretch 1...but meanwhile, as described in my op, I have two VG10 Stretch 1 once more (one being my one and only backup I ever had and have of any knife) and one in HAP40. I should be ok, since I "only" lost two Spyders till now in many years: The Stretch 1, and a blue Endura 4 (for that one I was searching several hours and made about 5000 feet vertical distance while doing so... in the night with just a small headlamp. And I am not kidding here! (Did NOT find it btw... :( ))
Hah, I believe it! Next best case scenario would be that someone one who really appreciates it happens upon it and puts it to good use.. that's what I like to think happens when I lose something.. I can live with that..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I have a backup of my 52100 PM2, and it's gonna stay pristine! Lovely finish on that blade...
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I used to back up most of my favorites. As the years went by I never wore out the originals and found I had way too many knives. One or two extras are good but don't let the bug bite. :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Mastiff wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 3:46 pm
I used to back up most of my favorites. As the years went by I never wore out the originals and found I had way too many knives. One or two extras are good but don't let the bug bite. :)
And let the "extras" be backups for models which you would not find any more if your only one got lost... ;)
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

And let the "extras" be backups for models which you would not find any more if your only one got lost... ;)
It began that way. :D Spyderco kept coming out with better fits, newer steels. I never lost or wore out the originals either. They just keep working, and working. Every time they had something that set the bar higher or came out with steels that no one ever thought a commercial knifemaker could or would use I had to get a new one. And a spare. :o
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I had many awesome back ups of Sprints and Exclusives at one time. I eventually sold them, realizing I had more than enough users. There is one backup I'll likely never sell, precisely because it helps me sleep at night: Paramilitary 2 with M390 and blue G10. I love leaving it in the box and plastic bag. Makes me feel like a comic book collector.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

In 2019 I hope to buy backups to the following knives:
1 - ESEE Knives Junglas Machete 10.38" Dark Earth Blade, Micarta Handles, Kydex Sheath
1 - Spyderco Stuart Ackerman Sustain, 20CV Blade

I have two of each of the following, not for a backup, but so that I can double up, and both carry knives will be the same:
2 - Zero Tolerance 0095 Sprint Run, Tan Coated CMP S90V Steel Blade Model 0095TANBLK
2 - Spyderco Yojimbo 2, CF, 20CV Blade
2 - RMJ Tactical Raider Dagger in 3V
2 - KA-BAR / EK - Jarosz boot knife in S35VN
2 - Les George Galvos Daggers CTS-XHP. (TWO) leather sheaths, (TWO) kydex sheaths
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Back when Bento Box Shop offered preorders on the first run of M390 PM2’s I ordered two. One was my daily work knife for 3-4 years, while the other sits in its box, relegated to pre-need replacement status. I don’t lose or break many knives, it seems. Still, I think I waited almost a year for them and didn’t want to have to do it again.

Edited to add: I posted before reading page 2. Seems like the call of the Smurf was heard by many!
Last edited by Bill1170 on Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Nothing keeps me up at night, but I wouldn’t like to be without a Spring. :)

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Hmmmm...my hk usp 40 helps me sleep at night!
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:07 am
Hoarding a sprint or exclusive just to keep in a box bothers me a bit, because there's most likely someone out there that wasn't quick enough to get one, that would actually carry it and maybe even use it, while it wastes away in a safe or wherever and this person goes and spends so much more money on the secondary market because it's their only option at this point (I know, it's up to the person to spend what they are willing to spend and all that. I just don't like the way that shakes out and this person gets a raw end of the deal)
this and the flippers. i missed out on the one knife i actually want because of these 2 types of ppl. my holy grail (para 3 in m390). now i cant get even 1 under 240$. anyone see one plz plz let me know.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I don’t keep backups if we are talking about exact duplicates. I used to keep some but then years went buy and I never needed any of them. I decided that they were just funds being tied up that I could spend on something else I wanted and would enjoy more. I do have multiple versions of my favorite models so if I lost my favorite Cruwear Military I would still have multiple Militaries to choose from.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ferider

Post by ferider »

:)
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:57 am
I don’t keep backups if we are talking about exact duplicates. I used to keep some but then years went buy and I never needed any of them. I decided that they were just funds being tied up that I could spend on something else I wanted and would enjoy more. I do have multiple versions of my favorite models so if I lost my favorite Cruwear Military I would still have multiple Militaries to choose from.
I have to say that I feel exactly the same way. As far as utility, I have my favorites, but no knife stands out as irreplaceable. If one of my favorites did get lost, I could select from any number of others and get on with life. I would rather spend my limited funds on variety than duplication. There seems to be no end of interesting new things coming along and duplicating something would mean missing something else. Every time you say yes to one thing, you are saying no to something else.

Emotional attachment is something different. I do have certain favorites. If my backlock Manix vanished, I suppose I would carry my Shaman in lieu of it. I treasure my Rex-45 knives and am not sure if we will see any more of that. However, I have any number of nice and special Military or PM2 models that could be carried instead should they disappear.

I short, I have quite a number of knives that are really special, and any one could be viewed as a "backup" for any other.
Last edited by Tucson Tom on Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:49 am

I have to say that I feel exactly the same way. As far as utility, I have my favorites, but no knife stands out as irreplaceable.

I agree with you here, but my H1 SE Spyderhawk stands out as irreplaceable for yardwork in my book. There is nothing like it. It really needs to be a production model. It is my only new in box backup in case I lose or break my user.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
AshK

Post by AshK »

I've got duplicates of some Spydercos - an original Endura and an Endura 4 for example because they're so handy, or four different Yojimbo 2's because they're bloody brilliant but I don't consider them backups because they're all replaceable if I lost one.

The only real backup I have is for my Schempp Tuff. I bought a Tuff recently and liked it so much I ordered another one. It hasn't arrived yet but it's BNIB and is 100% a backup to the user. They're tough to find, so having a second one is a good thing IMO despite the eye-watering prices on Tuffs.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I have backups for some knives;
- Persian
- Persian 75mm
- Kris
- Superleaf
- Southard
- Vesuvius
- GB1
- Smaller ones like Jesters, Ladybugs, Squeak, Dragonfly, etc.
There are some others (Kiwi's, Natives, Manixes, etc.), but mostly in different steel/handle configurations; so not true backups.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto