Just jumped on the PM2 bandwagon!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
soc_monki

Just jumped on the PM2 bandwagon!

Post by soc_monki »

So, the other day I was perusing the famous site known as Ebay. Or should I say infamous? Either way, I decided to search for a Paramilitary 2 to see what was available and see if I could scout any fakes. Well, I found one that was unused, no box, with lots of good pictures for 110 bucks. I jumped on it. Arrived today and wow... I have to say I really like it! It is just as nice as my para 3, just bigger! Super smooth action, the awesome compression lock, and so sharp. This thing is brand new never used... Not even an edge touch up on a sharpmaker. I think I got really lucky! I would like to have the box, but it's no big deal. I'm going to use this knife!

Don't think it will take top spot from my para 3, but it might be neck and neck!

Pictures to come!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Extra330SC

Re: Just jumped on the PM2 bandwagon!

Post by Extra330SC »

soc_monki wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 3:10 pm
So, the other day I was perusing the famous site known as Ebay. Or should I say infamous? Either way, I decided to search for a Paramilitary 2 to see what was available and see if I could scout any fakes. Well, I found one that was unused, no box, with lots of good pictures for 110 bucks. I jumped on it. Arrived today and wow... I have to say I really like it! It is just as nice as my para 3, just bigger! Super smooth action, the awesome compression lock, and so sharp. This thing is brand new never used... Not even an edge touch up on a sharpmaker. I think I got really lucky! I would like to have the box, but it's no big deal. I'm going to use this knife!

Don't think it will take top spot from my para 3, but it might be neck and neck!

Pictures to come!
Congrats. ..I carry a PM2 at least once a week. Hall of fame blade, With a nice spacious handle , And an awesome locking mechanism. :)

James
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The two PM2 models I have both have nice blade steels. The PM2 with a supersteel blade is about as good as it gets with a blade of that length. The C-36 Military with M390 and XHP are my heart felt favs because I like a blade a bit longer but I wouldn't pout or cry if I had to carry a PM2 for a while as long as it's got a really top notch blade steel. Long live the GOLDEN, CO USA Earth models :cool:
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Just a few quick snaps with my slightly customized Para 3. Really enjoying the PM 2. Carries well, love the action, feels like an old friend. Just plain jane S30V, but it does fine for me!

Having this much variety (Para 3, PM 2, and my Manix 2) gives me flexibility. I think the Manix is the hardest use knife, and the other two are for more precise work. I think any of them are tough enough to handle just about anything you can throw at them though.

Wouldn't mind picking up a PM 2 in 20CV or one of its sister steels...I agree JD, S30V is a fine steel, hasn't let me down yet, but I do enjoy 20CV!

:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Yep it's my favorite too!!
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Well, I edc my PM2 for the last 8 months. Just PM2, usualy with some other knife, SAK, some of mu custom fixed blades or Waterway.
Its good. You cant really improve it. If you want like a one good knife, this is it.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

All of mine are users. I have no problem getting a discount for no box. :D
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

The PM2 may be ubiquitous, and certainly Spyderco makes many other fine knives, but in terms of size, ergonomics, mechanism, geometry etc, and of course the wonderful variety, I simply can't find a more suitable instrument for my uses than the PM2. Now I do have a couple Militarys, the 52100 being probably the most finely finished Spyderco I own, and it's size makes it doubleplushandy, but the PM2 still wins for me because I have medium sized hands, and so it fits a bit better. You made a good choice in jumping on this bandwagon, which I have to say is the perfect way of describing the phenomenon, because it is a sort of trend, but in this case it's a well-warranted distinction! The PM2's reputation precedes itself!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I have many other Spyderco models that I hold in high esteem, but the PM2 still remains as the ideal knife for me in many ways.

Yep, the PM2 is my favorite Spyderco and you certainly didn't go wrong. No need to lose sleep over not having the box!

My 20CV is certainly one of my favorites, but there is nothing at all wrong with my S30V paramilitary. It was plenty sharp when I received it, but it came into its own when I sharpened it myself. It wasn't hard at all to take it to the next level. I think some of S30V's reputation for being a so-so steel comes from other makers. Spyderco S30V must nail the heat treat -- or something. Anyway it is good stuff.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Congrats soc,
The pm2 is a classic for a reason. As amazing as the para 3 but a different flavor. Enjoy it.
rbb2

Post by rbb2 »

It's hard for me to compare them directly, as I'm a Spyderco newbie, and the only P3 I own is a lightweight. That said, I really like that knife, but I prefer the blade length and handle size of the PM2 (though I do wear a XXL golf glove, so I may be a bit of a statistical outlier in that regard). I find the added blade length very useful, and pretty much all my knives before jumping on this Spyderco bandwagon have been of similar size so I'm used to that as well.

In the end, I prefer the PM2, but I appreciate the P3 for what it is and it has become my new primary choice for carrying at work, where I wear wool trousers or khakis most of the time. I suspect that a PM2 LW could be a favorite, for my preferences anyway. If they eventually do some PM2 LW sprints/exclusives in super steels, I'll probably be in seventh heaven (but also the poorhouse).
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

SF Native wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:28 pm
Congrats soc,
The pm2 is a classic for a reason. As amazing as the para 3 but a different flavor. Enjoy it.
i have a para 3 currently, i wear small to med gloves. i was thinking about getting a pm2 because it has more sprints. i may be able to get my grail steel if i get a pm2. 2 questions, how is the size and feel compared to a pm3, and is there any talk of a pm2 lw.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:45 pm
is there any talk of a pm2 lw.
Sal has said that Eric was working on one.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:53 pm
rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:45 pm
is there any talk of a pm2 lw.
Sal has said that Eric was working on one.
that would be aaawwweeesome. i have been doing research and found out that finally in MI they have dropped the 3" limit and i can carry a pm2, and a butterfly knife as well. so i am looking at a red m390 pm2 or a tan 20cv pm2.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

pm2 vs para 3 -- this is clearly a matter of taste. (Or perhaps legal issues in some jurisdictions.) I am definitely and overwhelmingly in the PM2 camp myself. Enough people seem to adore the para 3 though, that I encourage people to handle both and decide for themselves. I have the tan 20cv pm2 and it is one of my favorites. The black Cruwear with the smoothish black scales was also a home run for me, but some people didn't like the smooth G10 so much. I like variety. Some days I am in a smooth mood and other days I want some aggressive peel ply.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Pancake,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I love the design. A bit cramped for my large hands, though. The blade shape is the most appealing aspect.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
anycal

Post by anycal »

I bought my first PM2 a while back as my first :spyder: . I just needed a new knife, and the PM2 appealed to me on many levels. Since then, the wagon scooped me up in a drive by...

Peter
Brotherscinc0

Post by Brotherscinc0 »

I’m on my third PM2. I sold the first 2, but after going through dozens of other knives ranging $100-$600, the military line of spydercos are ending up to be my all time favorites. I am actually conflicted about it because I don’t like to be part of the mainstream crowd, but it really is that good of a knife.

My ONLY gripe would be the tip. I’m always nervous I’m gonna break that needle point off. Something like a hollow Sabre grind with a spear wedge at the point (like the old SS police) would give it some beef. That, or a Tanto
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Brotherscinc0 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:21 pm

My ONLY gripe would be the tip. I’m always nervous I’m gonna break that needle point off. Something like a hollow Sabre grind with a spear wedge at the point (like the old SS police) would give it some beef. That, or a Tanto
... Or a little "drop" towards the tip, like on Endura and Delica? Strengthens the tip a lot imho, but does not change the overall characteristic as much as a Tanto would...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)