DLC 20CV PM2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cycleguy

Re: DLC 20CV PM2?

Post by cycleguy »

I don't understand the crazy low pricing. Sell them out in 4 minutes or raise the price another $20 and sell them out in an hour or two? If I was the investor I'd take the additional revenue and give up the few extra minutes. I don't think normal market conditions are at work here! And I don't see how a standard production model can compete - a S30V black blade PM2 costs more ... so which one would you buy?

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

It really is strange. The DLC S35VN get released this year for $175...yet an exclusive with 20CV, also DLC coated goes for $25 less. Something has to make sense to them to do this! It's an incredible steal for anybody able to scoop one up.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I think that the purchaser of an exclusive has a lot of room to determine the sales price. DLT's strategy is to move their exclusives quickly, and it's obviously working for them. Which is great, honestly. It means they will do more runs in the future, which will keep the secondary market pricing down for those who couldn't get them initially.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 12:30 pm
It really is strange. The DLC S35VN get released this year for $175...yet an exclusive with 20CV, also DLC coated goes for $25 less. Something has to make sense to them to do this! It's an incredible steal for anybody able to scoop one up.

Yep, I think it comes down to churn and burn. Guaranteed sellout at that price frees up capital to plow into new exclusives or other inventory. Increase the price to $159.95 and they probably still sellout. $169.95...not sure at that point.

There have been a pretty decent amount of M390/CTS-204P/20CV PM2s at this point. At some point soon these steels will be like S90V where everyone has too many and/or they are bored with it, and you don't want to be the dealer holding the bag (of 1200 $150 knives) when that day comes. Better to move on to something still in high demand and rare...like CRUWEAR! :D
Last edited by steelcity16 on Fri May 31, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
5pins

Post by 5pins »

Just got home and this was in my mailbox. Like others have said the G10 looks a little darker in real life. Arm hair shaving sharp out of the box.

yoteslayer

Post by yoteslayer »

On a roll lately. Ordered the Maxamet PM2 yesterday and the BentoBox M390 Delica today.

dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

I'll copy my bf post too for those interested.
Dodgie02, post: 19039317, member: 480221 wrote:

Very impressed. Got my shipping notice an hour after ordering and only 2 days to get it from warehouse to the Netherlands.
What's more and which I didn't expect to find to be a big pro in this edition is how the matte tan and matte dlc don't attract any attention from people who see danger in every corner. It reminds me of the bugout which has that going for it too.
Especially compared to the red m390 which while I love it personally, instantly draws heads from sensitive souls. RED? BLADE? Red alert, red alert all hands on decks!

You'd think it wasn't an issue but some people..

Love it!
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 12:41 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 12:30 pm
Better to move on to something still in high demand and rare...like CRUWEAR! :D
I hear ya. I still hold on to my Para 3 cruwear even though I really have no love for the knife whatsoever. It's simply bloody brilliant steel. I have been using it as my test and trial knife when experimenting with different sharpening methodes, angles, materials. Even a 15 degree edge with a 220 grit aluminum oxide stone is cutting like a beast and it took no effort at all to get there.
The refined edges on my 2 pm2's and milli cruwear tho.. Boy they are CRAZY. I once cut myself apparently but I didn't feel or notice it till I picked up something and saw some blood dripping down my inner side of a finger.
Getting those edges was easy and I can only best describe it as the steel naturally indicating as to what it wants to get the most out of it when you work on it.
But really, you can do pretty much anything to it as long as you reach an apex and it'll cut splendidly.
Love it.
This will be my first 20cv blade tho, I know m390 well so I wonder how it'll hold up!
Paul-DLT

Post by Paul-DLT »

cycleguy wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 12:09 pm
I don't understand the crazy low pricing. Sell them out in 4 minutes or raise the price another $20 and sell them out in an hour or two? If I was the investor I'd take the additional revenue and give up the few extra minutes. I don't think normal market conditions are at work here! And I don't see how a standard production model can compete - a S30V black blade PM2 costs more ... so which one would you buy?

CG
We price our exclusives based on what they cost, and not market value. We did get lucky that the contract for this most recentTan/Black PM2 was signed in 2018 so we avoided any cost increases at the turn of the year.

You are correct that we could easily add $10-20 to the price, but we are trying to be fair and nurture long term customer relationships that purchase catalog Spyderco products in addition to exclusives; along with other brands. We do not want to be the dealer that customers reluctantly buy from just because we have an exclusive.
Last edited by Paul-DLT on Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DLT Trading
gigem95

Post by gigem95 »

Received my DLT PM2 exclusive today and love it. The knife is as sharp as any Spyderco I've had out of the box. Smooth action, perfect centering and drops closed easily. As others said, it looks darker than the marketing pics, which I really like. Super fast shipping as always from DLT and Spyderco super steel in a great knife makes this exclusive a hit!
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

gigem95 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:30 pm
Received my DLT PM2 exclusive today and love it. The knife is as sharp as any Spyderco I've had out of the box. Smooth action, perfect centering and drops closed easily. As others said, it looks darker than the marketing pics, which I really like. Super fast shipping as always from DLT and Spyderco super steel in a great knife makes this exclusive a hit!
Mine is as you described. ..along with the satin version from the first run. DLT is a great vendor with the quick shipping (usually same day ) and stellar attention to detail.

I'm thinking of swapping the black hardware and DLC 20CV blade with the Maxamet PM2. Blackout with the grey scales would look awesome IMO. Congratulations to everyone that scored one of these.

James
jojojaykay

Post by jojojaykay »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 9:55 am
I got mine, and WOW...it sure is a "looker" Can't take that away from it. But I can tell, for me...who primarily uses knives outdoors and in a warehouse setting, I'm not sure if these scales will work for me :confused: They look fantastic, I really do like them with the black blade. The hassle of keeping them clean could very well drive me nuts though. I'll give it some time and see how it goes.
Something about this model actually makes me WANT to get it dirty. Typically I'm the kind of guy that likes to keep my knives as clean as possible, but something about the black on tan makes the knife look more "serious" and resolute. It looks so much more unassuming unlike my blurple pm2 or my pink pm2 that dirtying it up, not cleaning it, maybe scratching the blade up a bit would add to it's aesthetic. :D The fact that it might make it a little harder to resell down the road if I ever decide to is holding me back a bit, though.
Last edited by jojojaykay on Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Extra330SC wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:51 pm
gigem95 wrote:
Mine is as you described. ..along with the satin version from the first run. DLT is a great vendor with the quick shipping (usually same day ) and stellar attention to detail.

I'm thinking of swapping the black hardware and DLC 20CV blade with the Maxamet PM2. Blackout with the grey scales would look awesome IMO. Congratulations to everyone that scored one of these.

James

I agree James! It will look great. One of my best looking knives!

Resized_20190426_131836.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

cycleguy wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 12:09 pm
I don't understand the crazy low pricing. Sell them out in 4 minutes or raise the price another $20 and sell them out in an hour or two? If I was the investor I'd take the additional revenue and give up the few extra minutes.
If they stuck around for two hours the psychology of the buyers would change.

During an instant sell out frenzy, everyone just buys because they know it's their only chance. People feel very lucky to be allowed to buy one.

Increase the sales window to a couple hours and you risk losing that, and having inventory stick around for weeks (or longer).
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:03 am
Extra330SC wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:51 pm
gigem95 wrote:

James

I agree James! It will look great. One of my best looking knives!

Resized_20190426_131836.jpeg
I've always thought the KW 52100 Manix 2 is up there in the top 5 best looking Spyderco knives! I've had it in my cart on numerous occasions...never finishing the transaction. I need to get one before it's gone...

James
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

^^ yes you do. I didn’t understand the whole sprint and exclusive thing when I joined up, and I let the KW M4cf pm2 slip away 😥
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:52 am
^^ yes you do. I didn’t understand the whole sprint and exclusive thing when I joined up, and I let the KW M4cf pm2 slip away 😥
Same here on the KW PM2 CF M4! I passed when it was on sale for $199 and bought the TI/CF Millie instead. Should've bought both... :confused:

James
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Kicking myself for not trying harder to get this one. Ugh
5pins

Post by 5pins »

IIRC DLT said there are more coming so just keep an eye out. They are already showing up on ebay.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Umm guys have you noticed how crazy sharp these are?

I know 20CV is supposed to be the same as M390 and CTS-204P but I have never had a Spyderco yet in those steels as sharp as this model is right out of the box, are they ground thinner behind the blade or something?