Would a Byrd Rescue be allowed?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
SpyderEdgeForever

Would a Byrd Rescue be allowed?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Since a Byrd Rescue has blunt tip and not a pointed tip, thus it cannot be used for stabbing, would this automatically make it safe in the legal sense, in places that have the "wrist flick" test for "gravity knife" laws or would it still be considered a knife since it has an edge?
Bloke

Re: Would a Byrd Rescue be allowed?

Post by Bloke »

I doubt you’d have any trouble whatsoever SEF. If you see a copper walking your way just pulling out the knife and start combining your hair with it. If the copper asks what you’re doing, act surprised, keep combining your hair and ask him “Do I look all right, how’s my hair?” And tell him you’re waiting for your girlfriend. :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
SpyderEdgeForever

But which Byrd would be best for making a "saltie stew" Bloke? :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:31 pm
Since a Byrd Rescue has blunt tip and not a pointed tip, thus it cannot be used for stabbing, would this automatically make it safe in the legal sense, in places that have the "wrist flick" test for "gravity knife" laws or would it still be considered a knife since it has an edge?

I would not take one to NYC but, as with most things in life, YMMV.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SpyderEdgeForever

The Deacon wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:36 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:31 pm

I would not take one to NYC but, as with most things in life, YMMV.
With the change in that law against one-hand openers, will it now be safe for visitors to that place to carry a Byrd?

Also, do you consider the point sharp enough that if one used it for fishing, they could get enough point to properly fillet and process fish?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 6:47 pm
With the change in that law against one-hand openers, will it now be safe for visitors to that place to carry a Byrd?

Also, do you consider the point sharp enough that if one used it for fishing, they could get enough point to properly fillet and process fish?

Slightly safer, perhaps, but only very slightly. Open carry of knives is illegal there, so they'll still arrest you if it's clipped to your pocket (or elsewhere) and visible. Cops don't have X-ray vision, even in NYC, so I'm fairly sure that's how a large percentage of those arrested for having a "gravity knife" were carrying. Not to mention that NYC could now decide to pass a city ordinance prohibiting civilians from carrying "flickable" knives, all one hand openers, or even all locking folders within its limits.

I don't own a Byrd Rescue, so I can't help you on the fishing question beyond saying that, while a serrated knife would probably work well for removing fish heads and be ok for gutting, I would not consider using one for scaling or filleting.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SpyderEdgeForever

Thanks, Deacon, excellent answer and covered all my questions on it. I am glad Spyderco produces the Byrd line.