Glock 17, Austrian gun: How good is it, asks an Austrian who has no clue about guns..

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
OldHoosier62

Re: Glock 17, Austrian gun: How good is it, asks an Austrian who has no clue about guns..

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:35 am
Evil D wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:56 am
Basically everything you need to know about the reliability of a Glock right here. There's no reason not to expect a 17 or 19 to perform the same. Basically you can't possibly carry enough ammo to fire to kill a Glock.

https://youtu.be/ub4OswUhLwo
No Beretta or 1911 would have done that, I can tell you.
The Beretta 93R begs to differ with you.....
Crux

Re: Glock 17, Austrian gun: How good is it, asks an Austrian who has no clue about guns..

Post by Crux »

The Glock 17 will do in a pinch, but so will a pointy stick or medium size rock.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Crux

Post by Crux »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:45 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:15 am
Merely Mozart?
Not in the sense of devaluating Mozart at all!! But like in " Austria is not known for much more THAN Mozart, mountains, "sound of music"...

I really like Mozarts music, I was born and actually LIVE in his birth place Salzburg... ;)

Admitedly, there was a time when I was a bit overfead with his music, since my father used to listen to it all the time when I was a kid. I also had piano lessons for ten years and played a lot of Mozart myself... still did not keep me from starting to play rock guitar when I turned 16... :D
I stayed in Salzburg for a week. Lovely place but they sure are anal about parking on the streets.
vivi

Post by vivi »

They're great guns.

Pros:

Widely available
Very reliable
Proven design
Amazing after market accessory selection (Holsters, replacement parts, glow dot sights, trigger kits, stuff like that)

Cons:

Some folks don't care for the ergonomics (This is why I opted for Smith and Wesson hand guns)
They're a bit pricey compared to offerings from other brands (Ruger, S&W, etc.)

hey guys, I just wanted to let you know I have big hands. :unicorn
Crux

Post by Crux »

Check out Springfield Armory. I have a S&W or two and they are solid, but for me SA has everything I'd want in a CCW. I've never been a Glock fan, the 17's handle was too big for me so while I do respect Glock, they don't float my boat.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Crux wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 5:29 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:45 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:15 am
I stayed in Salzburg for a week. Lovely place but they sure are anal about parking on the streets.
They are indeed... :rolleyes: I live on the edge of town, and if I go into the city: Always per bicycle, bus or on foot.
But then, the older parts of the town (500 years and older) just were not meant for cars obviously.

When have you been there?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

In my hands the Glocks point and move more naturally than the 1911 types I learned on and used for more than a decade. The front sight returns quicker than the 1911 allowing more accuracy when shooting fast. I don't have experience with the S&W 's but have had Rugers and Berettas and still prefer the Glocks over them.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

A simple demonstration is usually enough to convince most people, unless they are being obstinate, and keeping in mind physical differences. Ask anyone to simply point to an object to show you where it is. The arm and fingers line up naturally pointing to the object. Then, tell them not to move, and put the Glock in their hand and look down the sights. It will be right on target for most people.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 10:46 pm

I got to visit Salzburg twice, back when my ex worked for Salzburg Seminar (2004 and 2005?). Salzburg is a pretty awesome small city! I biked a lot on borrowed bicycles and was impressed by how safe and easy riding in traffic was, much more so than in my small home town in Vermont.

The food, hospitality and scenery were excellent, I would gladly return if I had the budget for an overseas vacation.

Now on the subject of how famous or not Austria is or should be, all I have to say is this: HUBANER WILDBLUMENKÄSE omg, best cheese ever! though speck and kasnocken are also deserving of international acclaim ;)

I'm a CZ stalwart, so no comments on the Glock.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
James Y

Post by James Y »

I'm pretty clueless about guns myself. I've never owned one but have done some shooting at the gun range. For whatever reason, I always chose the Glock 40. I found it really easy and comfortable to shoot.

A friend was going to sell me his customized S&W .357, but for me it was overkill. And at one point it 'jammed'. So I ended up not buying it.

Another time at a shooting range with another friend, I also chose the Glock 40, and he chose a Beretta. At some point his Beretta 'jammed' or whatever. The Glocks I've fired have never jammed.

Now, this isn't a definitive opinion from an experienced gun aficionado. I'm simply sharing some of my admittedly very limited experience with guns in general and Glocks in particular. If I were to ever buy a handgun, it would definitely be a Glock.

Jim
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

James Y wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 9:32 am
I'm pretty clueless about guns myself. I've never owned one but have done some shooting at the gun range. For whatever reason, I always chose the Glock 40. I found it really easy and comfortable to shoot.

A friend was going to sell me his customized S&W .357, but for me it was overkill. And at one point it 'jammed'. So I ended up not buying it.

Another time at a shooting range with another friend, I also chose the Glock 40, and he chose a Beretta. At some point his Beretta 'jammed' or whatever. The Glocks I've fired have never jammed.

Now, this isn't a definitive opinion from an experienced gun aficionado. I'm simply sharing some of my admittedly very limited experience with guns in general and Glocks in particular. If I were to ever buy a handgun, it would definitely be a Glock.

Jim
You might think of buying a Ruger 22 pistol. Learn well on that and then Buy a 9mm Glock...maybe G19 that will serve you a lifetime. This way you avoid bad habits becoming ingrained. Take lessons from a qualified instructor if possible.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 7:35 pm
James Y wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 9:32 am

Jim
You might think of buying a Ruger 22 pistol. Learn well on that and then Buy a 9mm Glock...maybe G19 that will serve you a lifetime. This way you avoid bad habits becoming ingrained. Take lessons from a qualified instructor if possible.
Thanks, Doc Dan. I will do that if I ever do decide to buy a firearm(s).

Jim
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Late to the party, but I still have my first-generation 17 that I bought back in the mid-eighties. I don't recall a single malfunction in all the thousands of rounds I've put through it.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The 17 is a GREAT gun, but I prefer the 19X or 19. Can go wrong with any of these really. Shoot them all at the range with rentals and decide which feels best and which you are the most accurate with.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Crux

Post by Crux »

The Glock 17 is an okay gun. Nothing special. In the grand scheme it's a 5 out of 10.
demoderby

Post by demoderby »

ive got a glock 17 gen 4 and its great it will cycle every kind of ammo so far even thoes shot shells made by cci.ive gone thru about 2000 rounds and it hasn't jamb once very dependable gun
Crux

Post by Crux »

Like I said, It's a solid pistol. Nothing to write home about but certainly does the job.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

awa54 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 6:49 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 10:46 pm

I got to visit Salzburg twice, back when my ex worked for Salzburg Seminar (2004 and 2005?). Salzburg is a pretty awesome small city! I biked a lot on borrowed bicycles and was impressed by how safe and easy riding in traffic was, much more so than in my small home town in Vermont.

The food, hospitality and scenery were excellent, I would gladly return if I had the budget for an overseas vacation.

Now on the subject of how famous or not Austria is or should be, all I have to say is this: HUBANER WILDBLUMENKÄSE omg, best cheese ever! though speck and kasnocken are also deserving of international acclaim ;)

I'm a CZ stalwart, so no comments on the Glock.
Glad you liked it over here!! :) Should you ever come again, be sure to shoot me a message, so we can cut some Speck with our Spyder carry of the day together! :)

/ I know the word "stalwart", but tbh I don't understand what "CZ stalwart" means...?? :confused:
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

CZ is either Czechia in general or more specific for Česká zbrojovka, a traditional manufacturer for weapons. :)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
awa54

Post by awa54 »

As Peter1960 noted, in this case CZ refers to the Czech firearms maker. I own a CZ85 Combat 9mm pistol with the .22lr adaptor and a CZ82 surplus police/military pistol. I also have two CZ rifles...
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...