The backup that helps you sleep at night... ;)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

The backup that helps you sleep at night... ;)

Post by Wartstein »

I am not a collector at all in the sense of just storing and not using knives. Would be nothing wrong with that, but it is just not for me, all my knives are users, and I even wished I´d have more opportunities for using them.

So the thought of having a knife just lying around in its box, never getting carried, looking like new for month and month has been a bit weird for me for the longest time.

Till I lost my Stretch 1 (VG10) around March or April 2018.

The model was already discontinued at that time, and only the Stretch 2 available any more.
I like the Stretch 2, but the Stretch 1 is the knife I really can´t imagine NOT having in my pocket several times a week.

Like it is probably quite often in life, I fully realized how much I love this model even more so when it was gone, and I could not find a replacement.

I was even less into online-stuff then as I am now, so I did not have to many sources or ideas where to get another Stretch 1.

I mailed to dealers all around the world, but for the longest time I did have no luck. Stretch 1 was no longer in stock anywhere, except a few ebay dealers, and those were not willing to ship to Europe, though I offered them to pay high prices for that (now I found a way of shipping knives to an US postal adress and then have them forwarded to Europe, but I was not aware of that method in 2018).

I even had an extended email exchange with a sales person from a dealer in the Philippines: They HAD the Stretch 1 in stock, but would only ship domestically. I tried to convince the lady, that I´d send her money, she would then buy the knife by herself and ship it to me privately. No way..

Eventually (after MONTH!) I managed to get another Stretch 1 VG10 (for a ridiculously high price, but it was worth it for me without any doubt).

Then, since I love my HAP 40 Endura, I got a Stretch 1 in that steel too, when I found one on ebay.

And now, finally the point of this thread ;):

When a very kind forum member some month ago pointed me to a dealer who actually had the Stretch 1 (VG10) still in stock for a very good price, I bought my one and only backup ever,the one and only knife I have twice in the exact same version, and the one and only knife that sits in its box just in case the day would come when I (heaven forbid!) loose my Stretch 1 VG10 user once more...;)

How is it with you all? Do you have backups for knives? Generally? Or only of models that would not be available anymore should you loose the one you have?
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Re: The backup that helps you sleep at night... ;)

Post by Evil D »

Oddly enough the knives I have backups for are ones I rarely carry anymore. They were sprints so it was safer to buy two up front than only one and then pay secondary prices later. Otherwise I don't bother with backups unless something is getting discontinued.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I am similar to you, Wartstein, in that I try not to have too many knives and I like to use the ones I have. I will reluctantly admit that I do have one backup, NIB, knife in storage.

Mine is a Spydiechef! The Chef was my first folding Spyderco and a favorite (my first Spyderco is a Santoku I've used for 12 years) and while it is still in production, they are/ can be hard to get and there is nothing even close on the market. My backup purchase was totally preemptive-- for a little peace of mind and now I don't have to watch the production and market for them anymore.

Instead I can direct my attention to the Chief and the Crucarta Shaman! :D
Last edited by Enactive on Fri May 31, 2019 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

No backups for me. I did have (2) of the DLC Cutlery Shoppe Para 3's...ended up selling both because the scales were a pain to keep clean. But, even when I had them both, I'd think about the one just wasting about in the box, hindering my ability to buy something else I wanted or found intriguing. I like all of my knives I have right now and wouldn't sell any of them. Most of them are exclusives or sprints, so I'd be in tough luck if one to break or get lost. Luckily, most are models that appeal to me and are pretty popular, so if all else failed I could always get a regular production model if need be.

Hoarding a sprint or exclusive just to keep in a box bothers me a bit, because there's most likely someone out there that wasn't quick enough to get one, that would actually carry it and maybe even use it, while it wastes away in a safe or wherever and this person goes and spends so much more money on the secondary market because it's their only option at this point (I know, it's up to the person to spend what they are willing to spend and all that. I just don't like the way that shakes out and this person gets a raw end of the deal)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:07 am

Hoarding a sprint or exclusive just to keep in a box bothers me a bit, because there's most likely someone out there that wasn't quick enough to get one, that would actually carry it and maybe even use it, while it wastes away in a safe or wherever and this person goes and spends so much more money on the secondary market because it's their only option at this point (I know, it's up to the person to spend what they are willing to spend and all that. I just don't like the way that shakes out and this person gets a raw end of the deal)
I get that, and it´s a very honorable attitude.

But how do you feel when it comes to not sprints or exclusives, but discontinued models?

As I wrote in my quite lengthy op, my one and only backup ever is the Stretch 1 in VG10. Discontinued, harder and harder to find, PLUS my favorite folder ever, PLUS I already have lost a Stretch 1 once... would you personally keep a backup in that particular case? For me it´s totally fine, to be honest.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I have a backup of the H1 SE Spyderhawk since that is such a great yardwork tool. These should really be standard production and marketed to the landscaping/gardening/arborist crowd.

I have 3 of the M390 Delicas incoming. These aren't going to be backups per se, but I'll have one in each car and one in my rotation.

So really the Spyderhawk is the only one sitting in a box.

If a grail knife ever gets made then I'll probably buy a few to hoard away. Right now that would be a lightweight model in DLC CPM-CRUWEAR or CPM-4V. Maybe St Nicks will do a Red DLC 4V Para 3 LW. Those I would hoard for sure.

Or if we see a TiCN H1 Jester Salt with a glow in the dark handle. I'd have a popcorn bag full of those!!! :)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Enactive wrote:
.... -- for a little peace of mind and now I don't have to watch the production and market for them anymore.

Instead I can direct my attention to the Chief and the Crucarta Shaman! :D
Yeah, "peace of mind" is exactly what my Stretch 1 backup does give to me either... ;)

And, yeah again: Chief and Cruwear Shaman... they DO have my attention too!! (though in my case what I am looking for in the Cruwear Micarta, oddly enough is not the Cruwear itself, but the Micarta handle it´s said going to feature...)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:20 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:

But how do you feel when it comes to not sprints or exclusives, but discontinued models?

As I wrote in my quite lengthy op, my one and only backup ever is the Stretch 1 in VG10. Discontinued, harder and harder to find, PLUS my favorite folder ever, PLUS I already have lost a Stretch 1 once... would you personally keep a backup in that particular case? For me it´s totally fine, to be honest.
I think Discontinued models are a bit different. If it's already been discontinued, chances are you HAVE to pay a premium price for one if you can find one even though they were plenty available at one point in time because it's a production model and maybe you were late to the game, or only found it to be your favorite model after it's been discontinued. For those reasons, I totally agree with grabbing a back up.

Now, if it's production model that's GOING to be discontinued, we typically get some advanced notice. Most of these knives are available at retailers all over the country and should be easy to snatch up a back up once you know it will be discontinued. Much better opportunity to obtain one...versus my previous post regarding sprints/exclusives that typically sell out in minutes from limited retailers.

It makes sense in my head, I hope it came out the way I intended haha!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SaltSerious

Post by SaltSerious »

Spyderhawk SE Sprint Run
Was able to purchase a "backup" just recently. There not everyone's cup of tea but for my line of work and needs there hard to beat. Low maintenance, easy to sharpen and an extreme performer.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

I'll buy backups only if I know I would buy it again instead of trying something new if I lost it.

E.g., Native 5 lightweight, Hungarian, Domino... Great knives but I'll try something new if I lose one and want to fill the hole.

M390 Para 2, I know I'd want a replacement. So I picked up a backup in 204P. (although 6 years later they're still turning out M390/20CV PM2s, so I probably didn't need to rush, hah)

For Spyderco, the M390 PM2 meets that criteria for me, and I'm pretty sure the M390 Delica will as well having used the HAP40 one for a while now.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I have multiple variants of many favorite models, but only a few exact duplicates.

-2 Lefty Militaries. One from the first run and one from the current run with some cqi changes.

-2 Lefty PM2s. They'll probably be around for a while, but who knows if/when they'll produce them again in the future? Also with possible MAP/MSRP adjustments I figured it was best to just buy 2 right off the bat.

^Ironically I don't carry either of these a ton lately, as I've trended toward smaller blades for edc, but they're still awesome to have around.

-2 Baby Horn sprints. This is an epic sleeper that turned out to be one of my absolute favorite blades. Really suprised these didn't catch on with fans of traditionals, the SAK Cadet, or other small blades.

-Coulda, woulda, shoulda: PITS. Scored a blue one for an awesome price after they were discontinued. By the time I realized how well it suits me and went to grab a spare they were all gone (at prices I was willing to pay).
:spyder:
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

I'm with Nate - the only backup I have in my collection is the Baby Horn - I have one user and one that is kept safe.
~andrew
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Wartstein wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Agreed! Although, I suppose I can get behind someone keeping them for personal use (even if it's just ogling them in their safe). It's the vultures who pick up the sprint/exclusives and up-charge on the secondary market on the same day of the drop that really rub me the wrong way.. :mad:

To the point of the thread.. no, I do not keep back-ups. I do have multiples of models I really enjoy.. Native, Para 3, Delica, Manix.. but I justify these purchases as being variants of the model, having a different steels, or handle materials, etc. I do not have two of the exact same model of these, but if I lost one, I would still have a "back-up" on hand in that model.. if that makes any sense at all haha..

There are a few knives I would replace in a heartbeat if I lost.. Lil' Temp 3, Brouwer, Wolfspyder, Yojimbo come immediately to mind.. but all of these are still in production as far as I know, so I assume I'd be able to pick one up pretty easily if I lost one. If any of these get disco'd, I'd definitely consider picking up a backup.

Interesting thread topic Wartstein. I hadn't given it much thought, but considering it now, I might just have to pick-up a back-up for my Lil Temp 3..I'd hate to lose it! I love that knife!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
benben

Post by benben »

I admittedly do have some unused safe queens but have recently decided I'm going to unload some nice knives that I'm not using and either roll it into some more knives to try, or either another HK pistol, or.........an AR pistol in 300 Blackout! :D
PStone

Post by PStone »

I have a couple duplicate models like 2 Millie’s and 2pm’s. I just don’t consider them backups. My only true backups are the Wolfspyder and Lil’ Nilakka. These are limited runs and granted can still be found at reasonable prices. But I really just don’t want to take a chance I won’t be able to easily find one if/when I break or lose one. I love them way too much.

The Lil Nilakkas are perfect companion blades that get carried with larger knifes. I do use both. One is dyed black, the other still ivory.

The wolfspyder is my #2 EDC. I actually had a close call with the wolfspyder and it was MIA for a week. It’s what spurred me to back it up. I absolutely love that knife. Heck, I’d almost buy a backup to the backup. :spyder:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 10:33 am
Wartstein wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
I think Discontinued models are a bit different. If it's already been discontinued, chances are you HAVE to pay a premium price for one if you can find one even though they were plenty available at one point in time because it's a production model and maybe you were late to the game, or only found it to be your favorite model after it's been discontinued. For those reasons, I totally agree with grabbing a back up.

Now, if it's production model that's GOING to be discontinued, we typically get some advanced notice. Most of these knives are available at retailers all over the country and should be easy to snatch up a back up once you know it will be discontinued. Much better opportunity to obtain one...versus my previous post regarding sprints/exclusives that typically sell out in minutes from limited retailers.

It makes sense in my head, I hope it came out the way I intended haha!
It makes total sense in my head too... ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

DSH007 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 1:39 pm
Wartstein wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Interesting thread topic Wartstein. I hadn't given it much thought, but considering it now, I might just have to pick-up a back-up for my Lil Temp 3..I'd hate to lose it! I love that knife!
As long as a knife is in production and easily available, I personally still would not buy a backup for it.. but if it´s your favorite and gets discontinued (like it was with the Stretch 1 for me) definitely!

It somehow was a quite miserable, but still also somewhat interesting experience when I lost my Stretch 1 and had to hunt for a replacement pretty long:
I am in no way superstitious and generally don´t cling to inanimate things at all: But not having the Stretch anymore and not knowing if I´d ever get a replacement somehow, bothered me a lot more than I would have thought. Really, almost to the point that I felt like there was something important missing in my life (though of course I had other Spyders which I like a lot).... This forum is probably one of the few places where people reading this don´t think I´m totally crazy... ;)
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Titanium Squarehead!
This knife sees the most pocket time for me and when it was discontinued I made sure to get a back up! (or 5 but thats beyond the point :D Two backups for my backups backup ;))

I actually did misplace my first one for a while. It was probably missing for a couple months before I was lucky enough find it hiding deep under a couch cushion!
:spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

So rare some years ago was my then-favorite M4 Manix2 (a dealer-exclusive) that I bought a second.

I was so pleased to find it because my first, before I had begun to experiment with patina, had developed some pitting and general corrosion during an excessively hot and humid spell. This first M4 Manix2 has since graduated to my truck as a beater and serves me well.

Have I needed the second? Not really. I have other Manix2s and other Spydies in M4.

But, more to the point, I have an ample number of Spydies in a broad range of designs and materials I more than just like. Any one Spydie could serve me well for the rest of my life. This “backup”, rather than the duplicate of a particular model, is what helps me sleep at night.

What keeps me awake at night, apart from the ills of modernity, are dealer-exclusives that sell out in 15 minutes...
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Yeah I waited a few years for BBS to rerelease their M390 PM2 so when they finally did I bought one, then a few weeks before they sold out I bought a second. You’ll be happy to know I carry and use my M390 PM2 but I’m happy to know there’s a pristine one sitting in my closet for a rainy day. Even after my recent purge I didn’t sell the back up because I knew I would regret it.

There are a few others. I have 2 orange g10 ukpk’s just in case as well as two red g10 ones.
Last edited by Liquid Cobra on Fri May 31, 2019 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra