Texas Bans on Clubs (Tomahawks) and Knuckles Repealed!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
critter

Texas Bans on Clubs (Tomahawks) and Knuckles Repealed!

Post by critter »

Knife Rights supported HB 446, repealing the ban on carry of clubs (including tomahawks) and possession of knuckles (including trench knives and the like) has been signed by Texas Governor Abbot. The new law will become effective on September 1, 2019.

In 2013 Knife Rights’ repeal of Texas’ switchblade ban was enacted. In 2015 Knife Rights’ signature Knife Law Preemption was enacted, nullifying all local knife ordinances more restrictive than Texas state law, including two of the “10 Worst Anti-Knife Cities in America” at the time, San Antonio and Corpus Christi. In 2017 our bill removed all of the “illegal knives” in Texas law, finally allowing Texans the right to carry a Bowie knife, dagger and others in public.

NOTE: A Trench Knife with a blade over 5.5-inches will be considered a Location Restricted Knife and is banned from carry at some specific locations.

Just 2 Days left in the Early Bird Bonus! DONATE TODAY! WIN from OVER $170,000 in Knives, Guns & More! When You Donate to Help Forge A Sharper Future™ We All Win! Winners Choice, you get to pick your prize when drawn! Go to www.UltimateSteel.org
Extra330SC

Re: Texas Bans on Clubs (Tomahawks) and Knuckles Repealed!

Post by Extra330SC »

critter wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 7:06 am
Knife Rights supported HB 446, repealing the ban on carry of clubs (including tomahawks) and possession of knuckles (including trench knives and the like) has been signed by Texas Governor Abbot. The new law will become effective on September 1, 2019.

In 2013 Knife Rights’ repeal of Texas’ switchblade ban was enacted. In 2015 Knife Rights’ signature Knife Law Preemption was enacted, nullifying all local knife ordinances more restrictive than Texas state law, including two of the “10 Worst Anti-Knife Cities in America” at the time, San Antonio and Corpus Christi. In 2017 our bill removed all of the “illegal knives” in Texas law, finally allowing Texans the right to carry a Bowie knife, dagger and others in public.

NOTE: A Trench Knife with a blade over 5.5-inches will be considered a Location Restricted Knife and is banned from carry at some specific locations.

Just 2 Days left in the Early Bird Bonus! DONATE TODAY! WIN from OVER $170,000 in Knives, Guns & More! When You Donate to Help Forge A Sharper Future™ We All Win! Winners Choice, you get to pick your prize when drawn! Go to www.UltimateSteel.org
Nice work once again! Any chance of getting the ban on larger Autos in California repealed?
Thanks for all your efforts!

James
critter

Post by critter »

Extra330SC wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 7:14 am
Nice work once again! Any chance of getting the ban on larger Autos in California repealed?
Thanks. Any change in CA knife laws is unlikely to occur anytime soon, absent some extraordinary situation developing. However, the more we roll back knife bans in more and more states, the more likely we will eventually be able to do something about CA knife laws. That's the way it works. You have to play the long game if you want to succeed in the long run. Help us now so we can help you later.
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

critter wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 7:24 am
Extra330SC wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 7:14 am
Thanks. Any change in CA knife laws is unlikely to occur anytime soon, absent some extraordinary situation developing. However, the more we roll back knife bans in more and more states, the more likely we will eventually be able to do something about CA knife laws. That's the way it works. You have to play the long game if you want to succeed in the long run. Help us now so we can help you later.
Kinda figured that was the situation with the Democratic super majority in Sacramento. Thank you again for addressing these restrictive and arcane laws across the country. Hopefully it's 2 steps forward. ..1 step back in most states!

My wife and I will donate today ....

James
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I love the State of Texas. I've often wondered if you guys are ever going to pull off that "Republic of Texas" movement. Thus making Texas it's own nation. If that ever happens I'll for certain move there. I can't really complain about Missouri for the time being because I'm currently being allowed to legally carry a 4 inch folder and/or a fixed blade. Holy cow!! when I hear about the Communist states that try to bust people for a Spyderco Harpy it makes me cringe.

All I can say to the Great State of TEXAS>> more power to you all!!!! GOD Bless the State of TEXAS :cool:
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

Very good news. It seems that many states are taking a look at their current knife laws, mostly due to outside pressure. THANKS DOUG & CO! Knife rights is making a difference.
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
critter

Post by critter »

justjohn wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:27 am
Very good news. It seems that many states are taking a look at their current knife laws, mostly due to outside pressure. THANKS DOUG & CO! Knife rights is making a difference.
Thanks! Just to clear up any misconception. It isn't 'pressure." The knife community isn't well enough organized or big enough or engaged enough to exert "pressure." "Pressure" comes from being able to affect an election or having gobs of money to hand out, neither of which we can do. We are successful by understanding how the legislative and political process works and then working our butts off lobbying at the state houses for change by convincing legislators that it's worthwhile to them and their constituents for a variety of reasons that are often different for different legislators.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Thank you Doug Ritter and Knife Rights!

Texans, embrace the freedom!
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Does this mean any of us can walk into a mall and shop around in Texas and have a tomahawk on our belt and it is okay?
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

I stand corrected, "pressure" was not the best choice of words here. Changing some folks minds can be a monumental task sometimes. Let me say it took them long enough, but at least they were open (for whatever the reason) to the idea and took action. Thanks Doug for the clarification!
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Texas allowing brass knuckles sounds like a bad idea...
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Regarding brass knuckles or any other form of knuckles, I believe people should be allowed to carry them and use them for self protection, but, realistically how effective are they compared to other things?
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 4:38 pm
I love the State of Texas. I've often wondered if you guys are ever going to pull off that "Republic of Texas" movement. Thus making Texas it's own nation. If that ever happens I'll for certain move there. I can't really complain about Missouri for the time being because I'm currently being allowed to legally carry a 4 inch folder and/or a fixed blade. Holy cow!! when I hear about the Communist states that try to bust people for a Spyderco Harpy it makes me cringe.

All I can say to the Great State of TEXAS>> more power to you all!!!! GOD Bless the State of TEXAS :cool:
WOW! A 4 inch fixed or folder... all that I can say is, I'd have to leave Illinois to get that. With a 4 inch law, I could carry more of my collection. That would be great!

We have a "strange" situation here. They say for most of the state(Chicago NOT incl.) you can use/have on you what you will, but of course you will probably be stopped by a police officer on anything over 3 inches. Also, if the knife is 3 inches and under, you will probably start off with a misdemeanor IF you happen to break the law and have a knife on you. If you are over 3 inches, you start with a felony, and that has mandatory jail time.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I don't own "brass knuckles" but they do not bother me. I don't get in to fights with people. I mind my own business.

If I lived in TX, I'd probably carry a 5 inch blade for defensive purposes, but maybe I'd carry brass knuckles too for those times when a knife would not be warranted. All this talk is kind of crazy....but I say let people carry what they will.

I have no bones to pick with anyone and I hope that no one means me any harm.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/