Tuff Love - Any Hope of a Sprint Run?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
AshK

Tuff Love - Any Hope of a Sprint Run?

Post by AshK »

I recently got my hands on a Schempp Tuff and it's quickly rocketed close to the top of my Spyderco list.

What an impressive knife! Every part of the design just seems to come together so well, and the fit and finish are exceptional.

Given that these knives are hard to find, and that most owners seem to treasure them, I'd think a sprint run or an exclusive would sell out in a hurry despite the inevitable high price.

This would be particularly true if it was done with full Ti construction or in one of the newer steels - not that I'd turn my nose up at another 3V run.

Any love out there for the Tuff? Enough for a sprint run? I know it's been asked before but man... this is a knife that needs to be available new again. I'd buy one at the very least and I suspect most owners would do the same.

Share your Tuff photos and experiences - maybe we can kick this beast back to life!
Attachments
Tuff.jpg
AshK

Re: Tuff Love - Any Hope of a Sprint Run?

Post by AshK »

Bumping this back up - it got a bit lost waiting for my "new guy post" to be approved but it's too great a knife to get forgotten.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I'm very fond of mine, but I don't think its sales were enough to justify a sprint run, most likely. Mine is a very well-executed knife though.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I would not hold my breath. Spyderco does make knives that are out on the edge but this one was pretty far out and I do not think it sold well.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

How much did it cost back when it was in production? MAP?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I would love to have one of these reground. If they brough this back with a very aggressive grind, especially a convex or high hollow, like a CRK, it would be Spyderco's answer to a Medford or something along those lines. I do think that one of the reasons they didn't sell well was due to the thick edge. I've heard that brought up in discussions about them, at least. Also, heavy.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'd rather have the CPM-3V make an appearance in some different models. I'm into the LW models for the summer, so throw some into the Manix LW and Para 3 LW and I'll be all over it!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

The tuff has become a real cult classic.
I don’t think many people knew what to think of it when it came out. I wouldn’t mind seeing a little cqi on this and a sprint run. Maybe one day.
Could do that with a few of the schempp models.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 11:05 pm
I'd rather have the CPM-3V make an appearance in some different models. I'm into the LW models for the summer, so throw some into the Manix LW and Para 3 LW and I'll be all over it!

3V on a lightweight?

https://youtu.be/u5GlxcIFs-g?t=2118
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Part of the Tuff's appeal for me was the steel - if we can get 3V in a more current model (the shaman, for instance) I think it would move units quickly.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
AshK

Post by AshK »

Man I was hoping for a hugely enthusiastic response from hundreds of Tuff lovers that'd echo all the way to Sal's ears :)

I still reckon an updated Tuff in 3V would be a hot sprint run item - it's such a distinctive knife. What's the minimum order for an Exclusive?
Cali HogHead

Post by Cali HogHead »

The Tuff is the most I've paid for a knife, new or used. Got one for under $500, second hand but unused, and would do it again. I intend to carry it more frequently as my sharpening skills increase. It's unique style and mix of titanium and g-10 with an exotic steel make it a grail knife to me. I would definitely be interested in a Sprint or Exclusive.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd love to have a Tuff. And I'd love to have it in 3v.

If a sprint needed to be a new steel, maybe Cruwear or Sleipner would fit the bill, but I'd personally rather have it in 3v than either of those.
errickkr

Post by errickkr »

joined the hype late and will definitely get one if there's a new ones
AshK

Post by AshK »

Well, I just bought another Tuff (BNIB) for very close to Paysan money (and that's the most I've ever paid for a knife, same as Cali HogHead).

So clearly I'm nuts about that knife and it's a grail for me, but it seems that buyers were lining up behind me wanting to grab it if I didn't, so I might not be the only crazy one :D

Where's the dealer that thinks an exclusive of these things would sell and sell fast? Who's got a rep for slightly left field exclusives?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I was really crushed that the production version didn't get the same titanium pattern that the prototype got. If it somehow came back with that pattern I'd be very interested.

In case you have no idea what I'm talking about..

Prototype..

Production..
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
AshK

Post by AshK »

Evil D wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 6:23 pm
I was really crushed that the production version didn't get the same titanium pattern that the prototype got. If it somehow came back with that pattern I'd be very interested.
Yeah I'm torn. The prototype looks better to me - more thought out and less clunky but there's something about the drilled version that's just right for that knife. I'd like to have one of each thank you very much - when the first sprint run sells out, they can do another...

(Although the prototype pivot bites! Glad that didn't make the cut).
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

AshK wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 6:36 pm
Evil D wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 6:23 pm
Yeah I'm torn. The prototype looks better to me - more thought out and less clunky but there's something about the drilled version that's just right for that knife. I'd like to have one of each thank you very much - when the first sprint run sells out, they can do another...

I want the prototype scale pattern with the production pivot. The dimples just felt like a consolation prize after seeing the proto.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

AshK wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 5:33 pm
Man I was hoping for a hugely enthusiastic response from hundreds of Tuff lovers that'd echo all the way to Sal's ears :)

I still reckon an updated Tuff in 3V would be a hot sprint run item - it's such a distinctive knife. What's the minimum order for an Exclusive?
Sorry I was not more enthusiastic.
I really want a tuff. I have considered getting one off eBay but never quite pulled the trigger. I think I would prefer this in 4v. Not sure the 3v really offers anything over the 4v.
As I said earlier, a tuff2 (like techno2 treatment) would be my preference. 4v, thinner blade by a little bit, and let’s roll. I really want one of these.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

The choil killed it for me. If they made a run without the choil I would buy one.